Gaming Thread

What age were you when you played it? Did you play it in its time? Because back then, dammit, it was nothing short of revolutionary.

It was only about 5 years ago that I played. I will concede that at its time is was revolutionary. Unfortunately for me, I've been spoiled by the newer stuff so I my mind wasn't blown like yours when you played it in the day.

It was only about 5 years ago that I played. I will concede that at its time is was revolutionary. Unfortunately for me, I've been spoiled by the newer stuff so I my mind wasn't blown like yours when you played it in the day.
Yeah, see, that's the problem. You just can't appreciate a game like Daggerfall if you haven't played it when it was new. Shame you didn't get to experience that :(

I think 98-2002 was the golden era for PC games. Half-Life, Planescape: Torment, Morrowind. After then, it seemed to go to shit just like movies.
Yeah, I tend to refer to that as the Golden Age of RPGs too. PS:T, BGII, Arcanum, Fallout 2, all those great isometric classics. Back when games were made to be good, not to make tons of money and appeal to as many wallets as possible.

My problem with Argonians is the same with Bosmer. They're a joke race. In DnD and Everquest, the Lizard people are feirce warriors, often times evil. Usually tall and intimidating. Argonians are like jungle people who make bad jokes with dumb looking snouts. Wood Elves should be feirce druid like people, not little flaming homosexuals. (In the lore, the Bosmer in Valenwood are actually cannibals, because they don't believe in eating anything related to plants.)

However, since Skyrim is going to be grittier and Bethesda listens to its fans, I think both issues will be fixed.

I wish Khajit weren't in the game at all. I'm a huge high fantasy fan, but cat people are just stupid.

My problem with Argonians is the same with Bosmer. They're a joke race. In DnD and Everquest, the Lizard people are feirce warriors, often times evil. Usually tall and intimidating. Argonians are like jungle people who make bad jokes with dumb looking snouts. Wood Elves should be feirce druid like people, not little flaming homosexuals. (In the lore, the Bosmer in Valenwood are actually cannibals, because they don't believe in eating anything related to plants.)

However, since Skyrim is going to be grittier and Bethesda listens to its fans, I think both issues will be fixed.

I wish Khajit weren't in the game at all. I'm a huge high fantasy fan, but cat people are just stupid.

The fact that you hate these races so means the developers did a really good job. You want a game to be realistic, throw the equivalent of fags, mexicans and blacks and make everyone hate them, just like real life.

True, I contradicted myself and I knew someone would point it out. But Lizard People are cooler so I don't mind the ridiculousness of it.

Swabs, they did good by making me hate the Argonians invade Morrowind. But what I'm saying it poor character model designs. Making me not like the way a race looks isn't a good thing. Argonians are hist enraged tribal barbarians? Ok, let me see that. Don't give me a snouted human with scaled who acts and talks like everyone else.

It's not that I don't like beast races for realism. If I had it my way Ogres and Trolls would be playable races. I just think these beast races have been done shitty.

But again, from what we've seen so far, Skyrim races look GREAT and much less like the face painted monkey humans from Oblivion.

If anyone is bored and has nothing better to do, I like to pretend I'm making a game. Here is what I would do.

Classes
-------
Warrior-Berserker/Guardian
Knight-Paladin/Shadow Knight
Hunter-Ranger/Beast Lord
Monk-Purifier/Death Hand
Rogue-Assassin/Swashbuckler
Bard-Troubador/Dirge
Shaman-Elder/Mystic
Druid-Warden/Storm Lord
Mage-Pyromancer/Hydromancer
Spellblade-Battle Mage/Magus
Sorcerer-Wizard/Psion
Cleric-Priest/Templar
Conjurer-Enchanter/Necromancer

Races aren't good and evil per se, although some are, but they are divided into alliances with the Erudites being neutral due to having a great economy.

Celt
Moon Elf
Wood Elf
Nord
Grey Orc
Dwarf

Erudite (Black or brown people, Egyption themed)

Dark Elf
Imperial (Romans)
Troll
Khaan Orc (Green evil Orc)
Ogre

Grey Orcs would be similar to Native Americans, Ogres would be very intelligent, and Dwarves would be black Duergar after years of enslavement and torture by Dark Elves.

I'm not saying I do it better than Bethesda or anything. But I would like to make a game like this. I have more to it than that but I don't wanna bore you guys.

I kinda disagree with you guys in that I think from 2000-2006 was really good (but then again I'm a modern gamer). I think games where they laid the foundation are great (goldeneye, half life, etc) but I also think games where they originally pushed the envelope in story, art direction, graphics (to a very small extent, i hate people who judge a game on graphics) and gameplay elements are the best ones. Games like Deus ex revolutionized the hybrid genre style games and had an amazing story and atmosphere, games like goldeneye made console shooters contenders (and bred other amazing games, though it was from the same company, like perfect dark), games like half life 2 pushed what we thought physics and a stylized world could be, games like morrowind and (later) fallout 3 pushed what we thought an open and living world could be.

I wouldn't deny all of the early games but in my tastes I'd say those games like deus ex, half life 2, morrowind, goldeneye; they all had differing graphics that aren't great now, yet they pushed the envelope of other aspects as they came out as well as graphics and to this day you can still play them and have them feel as good as any modern game (half life 1 also yeah but the graphics and gameplay sometimes does bog it down a bit).

to me these transition games really built on the foundations of what you guys love and made them so much more immersive, unique, and pushed themselves forward that i'll always go back and play those while games that came after in the new "omg graphics graphics" generation ended up sacrificing a lot of those elements for graphics (deus ex invisible war, perfect dark zero) and that was a huge shame. it's too bad now only a few companies are pushing the envelope like those older games did because it's dangerous in case your game flops, but most of the time they don't (like mass effect and mass effect 2 with their storytelling and world) so i'd like to see more of that so there can be more games that we lump in that classic category instead of "ooo i can only get 30 fps with all my system settings maxed out, what a great game" that sadly a lot of people think. with so much technology we can do amazing things outside of just graphics that i really hope more people see that innovation as the most important aspect and make the next game that hits people like deus ex or half life 2 and spawns an entire new gameplay element for the industry that we had no idea could be possible before.

I just started writing lore last week. I know it sucks. It needs a lot of work. Over the course of the years this happens. Much is subjec to change.

2it625l.jpg

This was a free map based on real islands. I don't plan on keeping the names on it except Idenmirk for the Dark Elves.

High Elved and Moon Elves unite to revolt against Ogre Empire. All magic wielding Ogres are slaughtered.

Elven civil war begins

Heretics black magic using Elves drive Moon Elves west. Become Dark Elves for killing Elven holy god.

Dark Elf Shadow Knight Prince ____ defeats War Chief of Blood Fang Trolls. Dark Elves teach Shamans black magic, Troll Shadowknights formed.

Dark Elves sense magic emitting from Cyrthon. Begin treaty with Ogres to help them relearn magic in return for soldiers.

First humans sail into known world.

Imperials conquer most of western continent.

Celtic rebellion is formed, Imperials driven back south by Paladin ___, later crowned king.

Nords begin invading Celts.

Dark Elves strike pact with Khaan Orcs to destroy Gnome empire.

Dark Elves eradicate Gnomes to take control of Colossus. Suffer substantial losses. Gnome in charge of Colossus are imprisoned.

Dark Elves make truce with Imperials to establish a base of western continent invasion.

Moon Elves and Wood Elves form rebellion with Celts, and later Nords.

Basically if it were a game, the premises would be The Dark Elves having eradicated the Gnomes, figuring out how to power the giant Gnomish colossus to conquer the western continent.

I know it sucks. I haven't done much for lore yet...

actually speaking of graphics whoring theres a couple games i'm actually looking forward to. Battlefield 3 looks REALLY good; not just in terms of graphics (holy shit, excessive lighting much?) but the realism from the dialogue and situations, how they're handled, sounds etc. Obviously it's just building on previous games of the genre and won't be totally unique but I think it'll continue to build on the genre. I'll probably check it out (if i can even run it on my new machine, i can do crysis 2 at the 2nd to highest setting with full res but battlefield 3 looks fucking tough).

another would be RAGE though thats not just graphics whoring and actually has a cool concept. I love games like fallout 3 where its the post apocalyptic setting and cool art direction (as i've stated a billion times) and rage looks like it could combine the cool post apocalyptic environment, with rpg elements, shooting elements and story elements. as long as they create cool interactable characters and have elements from other genres i'm good, but if its an ID software all out shootfest i think i'd kinda get bored.

edit: wow i just realized its bethesda AND id software? damn after all the stuff i've seen and that fact i have high hopes for this. surprisingly it has hype but not as much as that team would make me assume; hopefully it'll come out and blow people the fuck away though again this whole uber insane lighting and making textures look super far off and semi comic book is starting to bug me in all games. i know they think it looks more realistic when they do that but i really don't think in real life you have buildings reflecting light like they're a mirror and looking as if they're a backdrop. better than before but it reminds me of the plastic models phase that games went through int he mid 2000's.

glad they're bringing back some of the rpg elements (and doing it in a way that's not super conventional like inventory and whatnot). if they manage to do it well i think it will be awesome, but really that was one thing that i hated in the last game where you just use skill points to upgrade super power shots and shit. upgrading the character to become a superpower beast is awesome but just having them stay the same the entire time but with super fire power ammo? lame. hopefully they can adjust it so that there is more rpg and skill elements involved because it sounds like they've got a start thats a bit better than ME2 but still not there. also fuck, i now regret losing the ONLY party member i lost at the end of me2 haha, looks like i'll either just have to deal with it or re-play it so the characters that roll over survive though i know that kinda defeats the purpose of the save file transfering.