Gaming Thread

Almost two, actually. ME2 was released in January '10, ME3 is set for "Holiday" (which I assume means December) 2011.

Plus they already have all the animations from the previous games. I don't particularly care if they reuse most of them.

I'm actually not worried about the game being done too quickly tbh. Bioware has been doing so well I'm sure they've gotten a larger staff, they have the story, design and concept done since they knew it would be a trilogy (obviously getting the plot and all that plus the world of a game done takes a long time which cuts out a huge portion of time for sequels) in addition to the fact that they've had the ME3 engine they're using done for a while (the ps3 version of ME2 used it IIRC). So not only did they have all these advantages but I would be surprised if they had not been working on a lot of things during the previous games etc. With a new engine, new graphics thrown on, new story, new mechanics, it's going to be a fucking awesome game that won't feel OMG REVOLUTIONARY but instead will just continue the awesomeness of the previous games. The ME series has it pretty good in the fact that they can essentially just take the old game, make a bunch of changes and release the next part whereas other franchises have to rebuild their newest game from the ground up, new story, new everything.

I am very much looking forward to how the series ends though, with all the cool jumps they've made between the games and the things pointed out in that article I'm super pumped and think it'll really be great for me since they're going to bring back some of the things I loved about ME1 but re-done.

It's absurd how many good games are coming out and how my new comp has essentially opened up a new world of gaming for me. It'll probably be running games at medium-high settings by this holiday but I don't mind; the fact that I can check out and actually run all these games now is fucking great and being able to keep up with the newest innovations is bomb. However I am a little bit jealous of console gamers in that they never have to worry about hardware stuff since those games are so meticulously made to run well on consoles yet still look damn good, while PC has so many customizeable options and to get it to look amazing without hitting frame rate or other problems is pretty tough.

:lol: The time that you could make games on your own, even with tools like the TES level builder, is unfortunately long past.

i think you could but most people just don't. to re-texture character models, make/edit landmass, script quests, do a bunch of little tweaks etc would take so much time i think it's not that people can't do it, its that they won't. even with groups that have a full team of modders it takes them forever but there have been some pretty amazing mods out there that really do change things (the nameless mod for deus ex is an example). I think if someone were to spend a huge amount of their free time working for a few years and also took a bunch of things from other mods and slightly tweaked them to suit their game, that they could do a full total conversion. again though, to spend multiple years all day pretty much every day doing that and not getting paid or taking forever to see any results is probably more than most people would want to do.

I'm not saying it's physically impossible, but it's so time-consuming that it would take ages to do. I mean, Final Fantasy VII, an old PSX game without much in the way of graphics or complexity, took about sixty programmers two entire years to make. So for contemporary games, no way.

Hey Det, you could do a total conversion using the TES editor. That would be kinda cool. Seems you put a lot work into into your game idea. Pretty impressive.

Thanks man. I'll probably just turn it into a book if possible though, or maybe (doubtfully) one day I'll afford a PC that can run Skyrims Construction Set.

Well, I'd rather use my own system. The DnD rule sets piss me off. For example, a Battlemage simply does not exists. Closest thing is an Eldritcht Knight which is a lot different. Thanks though guys.

I'm open to any story ideas. My main thing is Dark Elves allying wiith Orcs for a Gnome genocide, to take over "Colossus", and the "good" races trying to free the Gnomish creator who is imprisoned by them. I don't know...I suck with writing stories.

I have half a mind to add some kind of Asian race but I like how Elder Scrolls keeps their Asian races in Akavir so you never see them.

Maybe I'll add Lizardpeople with a Fuedal Jap influence.

I'm not saying it's physically impossible, but it's so time-consuming that it would take ages to do. I mean, Final Fantasy VII, an old PSX game without much in the way of graphics or complexity, took about sixty programmers two entire years to make. So for contemporary games, no way.

oh I didn't mean a full game from the ground up, I meant using a modding tool for an already existing game like morrowind or oblivion and then modding to make the new game. He'd essentially take scripts, character models, land masses and other things from other mods and the game as a start and then re-texture/re-do them to fit his own. With all the mods out there he could definitely have pretty much anything at his disposal and then re-create it to his liking which would take a hugeeeee amount of work out of it.

Of course this is all hypothetical but yeah I do agree on one person would not be able to make their own full game from scratch without going insane (the developers of games like STALKER and The Witcher are small but still bigger than one person and it took them forever) but one person could do a total conversion mod using things from the original game as well as other mods to take away most of the work.

2011-04-27_00007.jpg