Gaming Thread

I think I've been spoiled by modern gaming. Tried to replay a few old favorites...

FF8-Got too bored at the second disk.
Star Ocean 2-Got too bored within first ten minutes.
Chrono Trigger-Bored half way through.

Sounds like blasphemy right? It is. I think after playing so many superior Western RPG's made by Bethesda and Bioware, I can't enjoy my old Jap classics anymore. Which is a shame because they're so good.

The problem with the replayability of JRPG's is the fact that if you know the story already there is nothing to drive you through the game.

On the other hand, with WRPG's, the drive isn't story based (typically), it's more exploration create-your-own-adventure type shit, thus can be replayed over and over.

You're so right.

Was Star Ocean 4 any good? I remember really digging 3 until the end where it introduced the worst plot twist...ever. I doubt anyone will play it that already hasn't so basically, you find out the entire galaxy is a computer simulation. And these games had some amazing worlds that this plot twist completely ruined. The way it was presented was even worse than I can make it sound.

The problem with the replayability of JRPG's is the fact that if you know the story already there is nothing to drive you through the game.
That's true, but it's not the only thing enjoyable about jRPGs. From a storytelling standpoint, you're right. jRPGs are railroaded and therefore if the story's spoiled, there's no point playing for the story anymore. But you can still play for the challenge (and don't say jRPGs are all easier than wRPGs, because there's always Atlus), for the fun, and the sense of accomplishment.

Precious precious Atlas...hurry with Persona 5. <3

I was excited for Catherine but it seems to be more of a platform thing than an RPG from what I've seen. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah the whole "getting bored during Chrono Trigger" DOES seem like blaspheming... (because it is...) Lawl, just kidding...
But yeah, I try to take a LONG time inbetween playing the same JRPG again... (I'm a HUGE JRPG fan)
That way, it seems pretty fresh, even though I played it before.. For instance, I haven't played Legend of Legaia in AGES... So I plan to replay it sometime this summer...

I didn't play Chrono Trigger until I was in my early teens anyway, so I don't have the nostalgia factor for it. I liked it a lot, but I didn't think it was all that great. Probably because I grew up playing Star Ocean 2, which was the same graphics but much deeper imo.

I'm in the same boat, minus Star Ocean... (Still hoping to play that entire series sometime...)
I know this is blasphemy, but I played Chrono Cross first, and THAT has the huge nostalgia factor for me... The blasphemy lies in me liking Cross better than Trigger, hahaha...

Same here! Ha!

It's bad enough what they did to Link, but look at all this unnecessary bloom in the upcoming OOT remake. Hyrule looks like a circus now. Also, I don't know why...but the fat lady is how I picture Brienne when reading ASOIAF.

1303448426492.jpg

I just can't get into these modern console sequels and remakes. I don't actually want a 3D Zelda or Metroid or Castlevania game, and am perfectly happy playing the SNES versions. Possibly I am just being a cranky curmudgeon, though.

Occasionally I consider buying a Wii just for the Virtual Console.

Have you seen Skyward Sword, though? I would have thought I'd prefer TP because I hated the cell shading in Wind Waker (which this uses in a more mature look) but environmentally and atmospherically, Skyward Sword seems like it could be the closest thing to an OOT successor since Majoras Mask, which is still my favorite.