Gaming Thread

I may be behind the curve here... But this Planescape sounds awesome... (And I pride myself on being a huge gamer.. I feel retarded for not knowing about this...)

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly... How do I go about acquiring this?

Man, do whatever you have to do to play it.

The setting is just incredible. And I get a big smile on my face when the voice actor for Wacko from Animaniacs asks me "What's eating ya, Chief?"

It's an incredible game, and that's coming from someone that thinks Baldurs Gate and Diablo are overrated.

Currently finishing The Witcher Enhanced Edition in anticipation for the next geekgasm that is The Witcher 2. If you're even remotely interested in RPGs, this is one to get--everything about it just screams AAA, and the combat was completely revamped. It's more like a mix between Demon's Souls and Arkham Asylum now.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-gameplay-the-witcher/713622
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/thew...r-2-assassins-of-kings--combat-overview-video

Oh, and Torment was the best of the isometric RPGs. It's too bad you can't play it in widescreen though...

I think Duke Nukem predates it.

Been playing Dead Money for the last days and damn if it isn't awesome!

shit yeah dude I've been so addicted to FO:NV it's absurd. I keep just exploring and finding new quests/things to do and my character is getting more and more powerful, last night I played for 7 hours almost straight except for meal and piss breaks. I was disappointed when at 4 am I finally had to turn it off but I shall resume tonight (even if for a short while). I'm saving the DLC for a little later since you're supposed to be a higher level but without any spoilers can you give me your thoughts on it or just things I should watch out for/build up before going in? Right now I've essentially only done as much of the main quest as I can to open up options for me (already beaten it but last time ran through it and missed out on the rest of the game, so dumb) so I've delivered the chip and have all the legion/ncr options open but haven't started any of the actual quests and am mostly just working with followers, helping the ncr and the followers of the apocalypse. boone is the shit but ed-e is driving me insane considering I got the first log but can't seem to get the 2nd one to work no matter how many times I try (I feel like 9 days has passed but yet none of things that it tells me to talk to/do online are working arghhh).

oh and I miss three-dog dammit. i love new vegas in terms of gameplay but the environment can never beat the capital wasteland imo. some people hate the green atmosphere and whatnot but I liked it, new vegas feels just like a normal desert, not a real nuclear wasteland like the capital. if fo3 had all these faction fame things, unique npcs doing things and other things new vegas has i'd never stop playing but since new vegas gets all that i'm currently addicted to it and once I finish this plus all the dlc I'll go back and finish operation anchorage, point lookout and other capital wasteland stuff. Btw can you meet mr new vegas like in fo3? i don't remember it in any main quest.

Oh that reminds me, I've seen a lot for the Escape from Butcher Bay remake/repackaging/sequel that came out, have any of you guys played it? when the original came out my pc couldn't run it and from watching reviews i'm intrigued, but still skeptical. they've given high reviews yet it doesn't seem that fun to me and since the sequel has the original repackaged with updated graphics/engines/things I was considering giving it a shot but since I have to beat fallout 3/nv+allupcomingdlc/oblivion+shiveringisles/DNF etc is it really worth my time considering all that is on the horizon?

boone is the shit but ed-e is driving me insane considering I got the first log but can't seem to get the 2nd one to work no matter how many times I try (I feel like 9 days has passed but yet none of things that it tells me to talk to/do online are working arghhh).
Boone is cool, yeah, but Veronica is <3 <3 <3. As for ED-E, you can just go the simple route and SPOILER!! talk to Lorenzo at the BoS bunker. He'll upgrade ED-E, no matter how many dialogues you got.

oh and I miss three-dog dammit.
I sure don't.

Btw can you meet mr new vegas like in fo3? i don't remember it in any main quest.
Nope, pretty sure you can't. He's probably a program run by Mr. House or something.

I'm saving the DLC for a little later since you're supposed to be a higher level but without any spoilers can you give me your thoughts on it or just things I should watch out for/build up before going in?

I also wouldn't mind hearing thoughts on the DLC. I could have sworn they said they were doing Area 51, no reason not to.

Well, I'll try to keep it spoiler-free. The DLC is a lot more difficult than the core game, and a lot more survival horror-oriented. Expect to be careful of every stim you use, every bullet you fire. And for fuck's sake, watch where you're going!

As for things to watch out for, well, if you've built a combat machine, you'll finish the DLC without trouble, but you'll miss out on a lot of story and connections with the regular NV world, such as finding out about characters hinted at in the core game.

Hell, you need a high PER and INT just to be able to communicate with one of your party members. You'll see why when you recruit her. Speech is essential, but seriously, if you haven't gotten that up to 100 as one of your first things to allocate points to, then you clearly haven't played many Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian games. Perks like Black Widow and Cherchez la Femme helped me out too, as well as high Science, Repair and other less-combat oriented skills.

Well, I'll try to keep it spoiler-free. The DLC is a lot more difficult than the core game, and a lot more survival horror-oriented. Expect to be careful of every stim you use, every bullet you fire. And for fuck's sake, watch where you're going!

As for things to watch out for, well, if you've built a combat machine, you'll finish the DLC without trouble, but you'll miss out on a lot of story and connections with the regular NV world, such as finding out about characters hinted at in the core game.

Hell, you need a high PER and INT just to be able to communicate with one of your party members. You'll see why when you recruit her. Speech is essential, but seriously, if you haven't gotten that up to 100 as one of your first things to allocate points to, then you clearly haven't played many Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian games. Perks like Black Widow and Cherchez la Femme helped me out too, as well as high Science, Repair and other less-combat oriented skills.

thanks! I'm definitely going to do that for ED-E because I've seriously tried multiple things to trigger the next part and it's been way more than 9 days but still nothing.

Sounds cool, I like combat oriented but having something unique and interesting is definitely a great addition and I seem exactly suited for that (whenever I play any game like oblivion or fallout the first things I upgrade are speech, science, lockpick, repair/barter so that I can get all the workaround solutions for problems to gain extra xp as well as basically keep selling my stuff i find in wherever back and accumulate a bunch of money; I almost never upgrade explosives, weapon types I don't use, unarmed, survival [as i didn't feel like doing hardcore mode] or any other things).

I'm definitely looking forward to that now as well as the new one coming on the 17th and then the future ones; so far i'm doing really well and really mopping up quests and exploring the shit out of the wasteland. Already at level 22 with 23-24 hours of gameplay so hopefully by the time i've got all the dlc my character will be a fucking BEAST (I already don't need to save stimpacks as I SPOILER IF YOU DON'T KNOW THIS MAYBE YOU DO DUNNO got the nano implants including the one for regeneration).

I think soon i'll have to take a bethesda break though and play either the witcher 2 (still gotta beat the first one fuck) or something else that is out/coming out soon because I've been basically playing the shit out of oblivion, fallout, fo:nv and switching back and forth between them so much it's getting crazy.

lol I never put points into speech.
Well, all choices are good if they're made from a role-playing standpoint (i.e. if you want to play a tongue-tied halfwit because it fits the character you're playing), but Speech is definitely one of the most useful skills in the game, especially in the DLC.

thanks! I'm definitely going to do that for ED-E because I've seriously tried multiple things to trigger the next part and it's been way more than 9 days but still nothing.
Yep, just trot over to Hidden Valley (take Veronica with you, she'll let you in - well, just take her along because she's awesome too) and talk to Lorenzo. Be ready to give up ED-E for a few days though.

Sounds cool, I like combat oriented but having something unique and interesting is definitely a great addition
Well, in my persona opinion, being combat-oriented is just one way to play a RPG, and it's by no means the most rewarding way. If I wanna go combat, there's other games. That said, a character has to be able to hold his own in combat, and having Guns or Energy Weapons at 100 is not a luxury, but a necessity.

Already at level 22 with 23-24 hours of gameplay so hopefully by the time i've got all the dlc my character will be a fucking BEAST (I already don't need to save stimpacks as I SPOILER IF YOU DON'T KNOW THIS MAYBE YOU DO DUNNO got the nano implants including the one for regeneration).
I didn't get the nano implants, too much of a game breaker. As for your character being a beast, well, believe me, the game can throw enough at you to make any character spend several phases of the game on the skin of his teeth. Especially without nano-implants, which, I'm sorry, are a cheap addition and take the fun out of the game, especially the DLC, since the whole challenge doesn't come from individual opponents, but having to go through many encounters with individual opponents, each of them wearing you down until you're in heartbeat mode.

I think soon i'll have to take a bethesda break though and play either the witcher 2 (still gotta beat the first one fuck) or something else that is out/coming out soon because I've been basically playing the shit out of oblivion, fallout, fo:nv and switching back and forth between them so much it's getting crazy.
I'd be playing Hydrophobia now... if it launched :(

The implants were over powered. Smarter AI at the energy weapon shop should have had them follow me outside. It's not like changing the difficulty option, when I know I can abuse something like this there's no stopping me, so I picked them off one by one. Selling everything in that store got me close to 50,000 caps (I think, it was back when the game came out) and plenty of implants.

Don't count on Skyrim AI being any better. Apparently during one of the demo showings, Todd one-shotted someone with an arrow while in stealth mode. The person next to the body: "I could have swore I heard something." This overly ambitious Radiant AI is bound to fail, anyway.

Well, all choices are good if they're made from a role-playing standpoint (i.e. if you want to play a tongue-tied halfwit because it fits the character you're playing), but Speech is definitely one of the most useful skills in the game, especially in the DLC.

Yep, just trot over to Hidden Valley (take Veronica with you, she'll let you in - well, just take her along because she's awesome too) and talk to Lorenzo. Be ready to give up ED-E for a few days though.

Well, in my persona opinion, being combat-oriented is just one way to play a RPG, and it's by no means the most rewarding way. If I wanna go combat, there's other games. That said, a character has to be able to hold his own in combat, and having Guns or Energy Weapons at 100 is not a luxury, but a necessity.

I didn't get the nano implants, too much of a game breaker. As for your character being a beast, well, believe me, the game can throw enough at you to make any character spend several phases of the game on the skin of his teeth. Especially without nano-implants, which, I'm sorry, are a cheap addition and take the fun out of the game, especially the DLC, since the whole challenge doesn't come from individual opponents, but having to go through many encounters with individual opponents, each of them wearing you down until you're in heartbeat mode.

I'd be playing Hydrophobia now... if it launched :(

Yeah I love speech because it allows you options you don't normally have as well as the skill related dialogue options, a great aspect of the game. I recently just got the early perks with female/male dialogue choices so I hope to see some of those soon but I don't know if it displays that it is in fact a dialogue choice related to that.

I actually don't have any companions besides Boone and ED-E. I've tried staying away from online guides/wikis as much as possible to find out cool things like that such as when I first repaired ED-E and beat the game not even knowing it could follow you haha; this time I looked at guides a little bit to find at least Boone and ED-E as companions but I want to try to get the rest myself. I know theres that Follower Of The Apocalypse who said he'd come with me (and is a dr and has a plasma rifle so I'm considering keeping ED-E in the lucky 38 cuz i can't get rid of boone, he's the shit) but I plan on finding the rest of them (same reason this time I'm putting off using the Explorer perk, it's cool but it kinda made me go around Fallout 3 just discovering places and not getting that sense of HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT ON THE HORIZON.

I don't mean combat oriented as in that's all I do for sure, it's simply a means to an end. I usually don't choose the options like PREPARE TO DIE unless I really fucking hate someone but I use combat and make sure my character is a killing machine for killing fiends/raiders and selling their gear to make money. Just having other skills honestly doesn't do it for me and I don't like stealth other than sniping for critical hits (fuck you bighorned bulls, I'll shoot you 10 miles away you won't even see that shit coming). The only game where I play more stealth/other things would be Deus Ex and in DX:HR I highly plan on using stealth as much as possible combined with hacking (IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE HACKING MINIGAME HOLY SHIT LOOK AT THE VIDEO, seriously though it looks really fun and challenging and actually adding more to the game than Fallout or other games's hacking even though they're decent as well) because I'm going to set it on hard and the game allows for that sort of thing. Playing Deus ex run and gun just is not my thing and I think takes a huge chunk out of it except can be fun sometimes.

I disagree on the nano thing but that's just me. They are a bit cheap yes and super powered but you don't exactly get them handed to you, the one I have with the regenerating cost me like 12,000 caps or something. I also have stopped doing any of those cheats like where you can exploit the AI; I know you can drag guns away to steal them and in Morrowind and Oblivion I'd always sneak into shops and steal shit and then sell it for wicked amounts of money (even in my most recent playthrough cuz I had to re-beat the game, all expansions and all side quests, still workin on that though and didn't have enough time to get money in a legit way) but in Fallout 3 and New Vegas I didn't do that because there are so many other ways to get money and it makes you value the money and quests/loot sooo much more. I have yet to go to that energy weapon shop but that's the glory of the game, despite the crap engine and graphics (so much fucking annoying pop-in and bullshit stutters) you get so sucked in you can't stop playing, hell last night I was starving, had to piss and was thirsty but could NOT put it down and shut off my computer until I had beaten a certain quest haha. Now unfortunately I'm getting to that point where I'm so powerful that only a few things can take me down (especially with the squad, holy shit with boone and ed-e it's hard to die) because of all my gear, skills, money etc but hopefully there will be more hard places as there are still some left that fuck me up (namely the hills near that huge mountain with the beer brewery/ncr outpost that is filled with cazadors, fuck those fly mother fuckers and their poison) and I'm highly looking forward to that DLC as it sounds really hard and I don't want to bump up the difficulty because tbh it just makes you less resistant to damage which is annoying, not bumping up AI or anything which would be great.

Speaking of stutters and Fallout problems do you guys have any recommendations for me? I have a great system (posted the specs, basically a 2 gb card, 8 gb ram, 3.4 gb quad core processor but it doesn't support hyper threading so any of those threaded options I can't use or I get a crashed game, fuck you intel i5 why don't you support hyper threading) yet I get noticeable stutters and they really bother me. I know it's the engine as in other games I can run them max settings max resolutions with no issue but I KNOW there are solutions (I've done one where you click on the .exe and check disable visual themes and that made a hugeee difference).
I've done some .ini editing before but honestly I'd like to avoid that as Fo3 and NV are so finnicky that the launcher crashes, the game crashes (all the time in FO3, never in New Vegas surprisingly), the load screen just continues on forever (this one only happens in NV and drives me crazy cuz it can corrupt my saves so I always save 2 manual, 1 quick, 1 auto all the time, it's obsessive) or it crashes right when it loads. I've done in terms of .ini editing:
bForceFullLODs (trying to display more bushes, it's a real pain and ugly when they pop in)
bUseHardDriveCache (some say helps stuttering other say worse, I've tried to understand the underlying concept to think if it would but I'm not great with computers)
iNumHWThreads=4 (forcing all 4 cores used in case that doesn't happen)
but do you guys have anything else you could recommend specifically in terms of any fixes? no mods please or tweak guides, I've used those but they're quite ambiguous and say random things or conflict so I'd be more interested in personal anecdotes that have worked for you. I've considered the ugridstoload to increase the land quality but in terms of performance and stuttering that's what I'd like to fix most without lowering any quality/options.

word, lots of stuff to say haha. sucks that all this gaming thread and online stuff makes me want to play new vegas but it's 10 in the morning on a weekday. definitely can't do that.