Gaming Thread

Well, he's shown the demo a lot of times, I think he has it memorized.

About the leveling thing, I thought so too, but they explained it like this:

Leveling something from 5-6 will contribute less to your overall level up than if you leveled something 90-91. The higher your skill when you increase it, the more it contributes toward your overall level.

Also worth mentioning, is the soft cap is level 50. You can still level up after that, but it takes much longer and no perks.

Built Mitsuo The Hero from Persona 4

mitsuo.jpg

Well, he's shown the demo a lot of times, I think he has it memorized.

About the leveling thing, I thought so too, but they explained it like this:

Leveling something from 5-6 will contribute less to your overall level up than if you leveled something 90-91. The higher your skill when you increase it, the more it contributes toward your overall level.

Also worth mentioning, is the soft cap is level 50. You can still level up after that, but it takes much longer and no perks.

well fuck, that sounds pretty good actually. so each skill you level up increases your proficiency with the skill and at each level up you get points that you can use towards each skill tree on each of your individual skills like in the witcher? and i'm assuming that magic/fatigue/health increase per level based on certain skills? if they're taking out the intelligence, strength etc how are they incorporating that into the skill tree? i really like this idea but that part seems a bit confusing since strength and attributes like that are kind of important, though i guess they could just replace that with damage modifiers/carrying capacity etc.

level cap of 50 sounds fucking good though, especially with the fact that you can still level after that. bummer you can't get any more perks after, but i guess that makes sense so you aren't overpowered as fuck. the 40 level cap in the fallout games really pissed me off because it was so low, but 50 should allow some good leveling up and then from there building up even a few more levels without perks. hopefully they'll do that dlc expansion they're talking about and allow an even higher level cap where you can get perks with it via adding in new ones.

if they can get rid of the whole health/magic/fatigue increasing and strength, intelligence, personality luck etc in favor of this new system i'm totally down. with all the new gameplay/graphics elements plus that if they can make a great story and writing (which it sounds like they) and make it so the leveling enemies and shit aren't so absurd then this will be the fucking best elder scrolls since morrowind. replaying morrowind makes me miss a lot of things oblivion didn't have and even with just some mods it still looks pretty good and is damn fun (getting to mix and match all sorts of armor types is badass as fuck and the rpg elements are much deeper).

Steve-Awesome! :D

Enemy-Kinda, yeah.

Leveling Block from 5 to 6 might move your level up progress bar like this

(....l.............)

Wheres leveling up Destruction 90 to 91 might do this

(.............l....)

You only get one point on level up to distribute between health, magic, and stamina, and then one perk point you can save for later if you want.

FUCK YES. that is awesome. so every level you get one point to put into magic/stamina/health and then one point to use on a perk? and by perks thats the level tree right? so basically leveling each skill is just to get experience, and then when that experience maxes out you get to choose h/m/s and then one item to choose in the skill of your choice on the skill tree. fucking badass, i'm so pumped to see that you can go past level 50 and keep getting perks as well, and making it harder is good too so people can't get obscenely overpowered. this is starting to sound even better so as long as they make sure the game is leveled correctly i'm even more fucking pumped. hell, if the jail exploit is still there (doubtful) then i could become a fucking warrior that could crush anything!

i'm baffled that it's only 2 weeks to human revolution; i replayed dx1/2 and am going to do a little bit more of dx1 again since the new vision mod finally came out fully (retexture of all environments in th egame in high def, fuck yeah) so that'll be awesome and then morrowind until i wait. i'm glad john said they're bringing back th ewriter from morrowind, don't get me wrong i did like oblivion but it felt stale a lot, whereas with morrowind just talking to caius or whatever after i got the dwemer puzzle box and him explaining the lore and whatnot really felt deep. 2 quests in and i'm already more engrossed in the world and people in it than i was in oblivion.

yeah i write a lot when i get pumped about stuff haha, it makes essays pretty easy so my uncontrollable writing length works out in some way.

I'm glad you write a lot here, it's great I'm not the only one. :D

I kind of regret telling you not to go magic in a way...the game is much easier as melee but "Mark" and "Recall" are very necessary spells and House Telvanni is so interesting...

Eh, even if you didn't go magic, you should look up the console commands for fast travel.

Just wait until the main quest takes you to Divayth Fyr and the last living Dwemer Yagrum Bagurn, and the Corpsarium. That 10 minute part alone is better than Oblivion in it's entirety. :D

yeah i really like the dialogue so much more. i forgot so much of the lore, but they explain it really well and there are sooo many more options. hopefully skyrim has the same since you said it was the same writer. i've been doing some magic but mostly attacking, it's so much harder since you can fail spells and the ones you don't put in your major skills are such a low level haha; my restoration is like 6. overall though with MGE installed and distant land, lots of AA and AF, some texture replacers (not better bodies and heads, it just looks too different to me, especially the retextures of main characters) it looks great. i'm using an hdr shader which at times can be a little much, but they're so confusing to work i'm glad i got it to work at all and i'm loving it (plus the code patch fixes sooo many things). if you haven't you should go on somethingawful.com, go to the forums, find the reinstall morrowind topic and then do that with some of the mods they say.

About the spell failure, Oblivion had this too but even more so in Morrowind, pay careful attention to your fatigue. The less your fatigue, the greater the chance of spell failure.

replaying morrowind made me realize just how truly watered down oblivion was. i'm super pumped for skyrim and am glad to finally be potentially in for an elder scrolls game with depth again (i know there'll be consolized things and whatnot but overall i'm more optimistic). the consolizing of games now is really fucking things up, there's just no more room for deep games where you actually NEED tutorial to learn how to play, and that's a fucking shame. I'm quite excited for RAGE as well because it feels like a new take on the shooter genre (yeah yeah i know, fallout 3 and doom combined = rage but it has a lot of stuff that seems cool and unique). with bethesda and id partnering i sense some great stuff if ID doesn't get too greedy and make a cliffhanger ending just so they can milk sequel after sequel out of it (hint, you can make good endings and still leave space for sequels).

I'm seriously going to shut up about Elder Scrolls after this post (other than screenshots) because I feel guilty for spamming this thread with it.

I just want to say one last thing to Enemy.

If the main quest becomes overwhelming, and feels too much like a chore, remember the back path. You can kill Vivec, take the "Unique Dwemer Artifact" to Yagrum Bagrun, have him identify it, and then head into the Ghostgate, obtain Keenin and Wraithguard, and go into Dagoth Ur and beat the game. You can even save time and put in the console command for the "Wraithguard", and skip having the artifact identified.

The only reason I'm telling you this, is it's VERY grueling to become the Hortator. You have to gain the vote of several Ashlander clans, and all three great houses, frankly, it's a pain in the ass. However, the sense of reward from doing so is amazing.

Also, the expansions are much more straightforward and rewarding. Especially Tribunal. Although, Bloodmoon will prepare you for Skyrim, since it's an island even further north of Skyrim.

replaying morrowind made me realize just how truly watered down oblivion was.

Even though the combat is virtually identical, it didn't really bother me as much with Morrowind. Maybe I was just entirely sick of it by the time Oblivion arrived, but the game was just so much better than Oblivion in every other way. It's extremely doubtful that Skyrim will be anything like Morrowind either. It seems to have better graphics, dragons, a better art design, and a somewhat better leveling scheme, but otherwise it appears to be pretty similar to Oblivion--although with enough changes that I won't get bored so quickly. The writer will have very little, if no effect at all on how many options the game has.

Also kind of wondering which is better between the list on Somethingawful or this: http://morrowindoverhaul.net/forum/index.php/topic,12.0.html

I'm sure some of the mods are the same, but the overhaul mod is definitely much easier to install for most users. I'm not suggesting the other is not superior--it could just be a little more intimidating to get working.

This is pretty badass too.

Last edited by a moderator:
The writer will have very little, if no effect at all on how many options the game has.

Options, perhaps. We already know you can side with the rebels or new empire, that's the biggest option we've had since Daggerfall.

Surely you noticed the difference in lore and story depth from vanilla Oblivion and Knights of The Nine/Shivering Isles? That was all Michael Kirkbride.

I'm going to do the main quest all the way through, I dont' get bored of things and give up so I'll just pick away at it over time. I actually modded my game a fair amount but I think I'm going to give the MGSO overhaul a chance; they have a video on their site of the installation and its EXTREMELY easy whereas I have maybe 1/6th that many mods installed and had a bunch of problems (especially with shaders). I know there'll be some things I won't like (the better heads with better bodies bothers me because it changes the main characters) but it'll be better to have a thing I can install in 10 minutes and have a fully modded beautiful game than trying to fuck around with my own for a long time. The somethingawful thing is what I used along with morrowind2009.wordpress.com and while it was decently easy to follow, it's just so much easier having everything in one place.

The combat in oblivion was a lot different; such as you can control the strikes and shield etc, but the reason I care about the writing is it makes you feel more into the world and the story. Obviously options get more extensive per game and skyrim will have the most (aside from things like armor probably) but the writing is what pulls you into the world a lot of times, makes the world feel unique and makes you want to keep playing. The Oblivion main story which was pretty much fetch quests, protect quests and oblivion gates got really stale, whereas shivering isles and knights of the nine had some really unique things that just came out of nowhere.

Those 2 expansions felt more original and involving than the entire oblivion main quest, and thus I'm pumped about the writing in skyrim as the story is one of my favorite parts of games. obviously it won't have as much lore as skyrim because skyrim could just pump out menus upon menus of text so you could really read into it, but I have a feeling with all the voice acting their using and the old writer that it'll make up for it and still be great.

edit: that cover was ok, I'm going to make a cover of a deus ex song sometime soon and it's going to rule ass i hope. it's going to be a combo of the original unatco theme and the unatco escape (if you don't know what that means FUCKING PLAY DEUS EX YOU COCK)

it was surprisingly hard to learn that on guitar because of a lot of little nuances you don't notice, but now that i've got that i just need to make a backing track, incorporate the original theme and rock out with my cock out.

Last edited by a moderator: