Gaming Thread

A certain viking bastard on this board has read every last scrap, I can guarantee!

Also, I just finished installing Morrowind, all of the expansions and the MGSO plus it's three patches, and holy crap does it look a lot better. It pretty much looks like a modern PC game from 2009 now for the most part instead of something released in 2002.

Yeah I tried installing MGSO over a bunch of mods I had already installed and it really fucked shit up, but man does it look good. I'm going to uninstall and wipe everything (except saves) and then reinstall mgso, then the other mods I had and it'll look fucking beautiful. Seriously, even without the shaders it looks great and the environments themselves are far more varied than oblivion, and with them it looks outrageous (though it can take a pretty rough hit on the PC if you have all graphics on max and the shaders active). the only downside is its quite odd playing it like this when i'm so used to and remember playing it originally. one huge part of the world and environment was that fog; going to different areas yet that fog always persisting, blocking your way, having to find directions piece by piece. this time however with the distant land turned on you can see EVERYTHING and it's so much closer than you realize with the fog. with fog on vivec seems a million miles away from seyda neen, yet you turn on distant land, get off the boat and boom, you can see vivec in the distance. really weird but interesting and i'm sure when i reinstall it it'll be even better.

I'm also one of those people who reads the books, no offense but if you're too lazy to read the books in the game you're not getting the full experience. the gameplay is great and mechanics are great, but a huge part about it is feeling like you're literally in a different world. saving the day and creating a monster badass character is great and all, but when you actually have feelings towards the different houses, the different characters, sense the nuances in their dialogue, feel the character of the region etc, it gives you more of a deep feeling of connection to the world that you're in the process of saving.

when i first played it i was 12 and had fun looting, killing people, taking their houses, doing quests etc. now however i read a lot of the books and read most of the dialogue and feel the affects of the different ruling parties, the different cities, the different races, the culture, the instability, what drives people to do what they do etc. it puts you in that world and makes you more immersed than just playing it without that and in a game this huge with those 2 expansions, it can make the difference between 40 hours of fun just playing the quests, and 200 hours of doing all the quests, scouring the entire world, doing side quests, getting in with all the guilds and really living and breathing that world.

morrowind graphics and sound overhaul is FUCKING AWESOME. for those of you who don't like morrowind/can't deal with bad graphics get this shit. there are some funky things (like i'm not a fan of the better heads mod but oh well) but overall it looks absolutely beautiful, especially with the shaders. walking around vivec in full glory with morrowind graphics extender pumpin out gorgeous visuals combined with the mod looks absolutely amazing. i still love the original foggy drab version, but man this adds new life to it and seriously looks as good or better than oblivion, no fucking joke. draw distances are farrr better too and it's so customizeable it's outrageous.

i also forgot so much about the game it's crazy; it's like playing the game all over again for the first time which is awesome. tomorrow i'm going to go into the vivec library and read a bunch of the books (read one about the precursors to the tribunal, really interesting) and get mega into it, theres a ton of behind the scenes stuff that i want to know about before i get much farther into the main quest (only just received notes from those 3 people in vivec and am now doing some guild work to build up my character). i forgot all about levitate, the dark brotherhood attacks (free gear to sell for thousands of drakes fuck yeah) and all sorts of stuff; this fucking rules.

morrowind graphics and sound overhaul is FUCKING AWESOME. for those of you who don't like morrowind/can't deal with bad graphics get this shit. there are some funky things (like i'm not a fan of the better heads mod but oh well) but overall it looks absolutely beautiful, especially with the shaders. walking around vivec in full glory with morrowind graphics extender pumpin out gorgeous visuals combined with the mod looks absolutely amazing. i still love the original foggy drab version, but man this adds new life to it and seriously looks as good or better than oblivion, no fucking joke. draw distances are farrr better too and it's so customizeable it's outrageous.

i also forgot so much about the game it's crazy; it's like playing the game all over again for the first time which is awesome. tomorrow i'm going to go into the vivec library and read a bunch of the books (read one about the precursors to the tribunal, really interesting) and get mega into it, theres a ton of behind the scenes stuff that i want to know about before i get much farther into the main quest (only just received notes from those 3 people in vivec and am now doing some guild work to build up my character). i forgot all about levitate, the dark brotherhood attacks (free gear to sell for thousands of drakes fuck yeah) and all sorts of stuff; this fucking rules.

By the way, if you want The Dark Brotherhood attacks to stop, just talk to the guy in Ebonheart.

The main quest is about to get very lame, then very epic, so far they've just been trying to familiarize you with the lore.

Really? The Dark Elf heads fucking rule with that mod instead of looking like a dried up raisin covering a skull.

yeah but the problem is a lot of the main characters look completely different. i like the nostalgia factor and seeing people look completely different (like the orc in the balmora mages guild looks totallyy different yet caius looks the same) really fucks it up for me.

By the way, if you want The Dark Brotherhood attacks to stop, just talk to the guy in Ebonheart.

The main quest is about to get very lame, then very epic, so far they've just been trying to familiarize you with the lore.

yeah i know about that, i talked to the guards and they told me to search him out. however i think i'm going to wait until later; killing these guys and then just going back to sleep to re-gain all the lost health is pretty easy and their gear is worth a fucking shitload of money; i make like 2-3 thousand drakes off each kill, fucking brilliant stuff.

i'm myself just fully getting into the lore; tonight i'm going to go into vivec library and read a bunch of the stuff about the tribunal and what came before them etc, and hopefully this weekend i plan on reading the sermons of vivec because i hear they're extremely interesting and crazy. to me the main quest is fun so i'm taking it slow and doing lots of guild work in between because there's so much and i want to explore the map slowly so i don't just see it all at once (and then gotta do the expansions which i've never done before, very pumped).

ofblo3.jpg

damn, argonians are gettin scary and dinosaur like now haha. i wonder if they'll have any of the other races like the dwemer in the game or some of the races from akavir like the monkey people or the snake people because it'd be really cool to see what they look like in the new engine instead of random mods that nerds make for morrowind (not that they're terrible, but i still would like to see the vision of the true lore writer haha)

damn, argonians are gettin scary and dinosaur like now haha. i wonder if they'll have any of the other races like the dwemer in the game or some of the races from akavir like the monkey people or the snake people because it'd be really cool to see what they look like in the new engine instead of random mods that nerds make for morrowind (not that they're terrible, but i still would like to see the vision of the true lore writer haha)

There are Dwemer Ruins, but Dwemer are gone forever. There are also Falmer (Snow Elves), ruins, four theories, one which states a small sect of them may still be alive.

That wood elf looks kinda odd and nothing like the brown tiny dudes I remember from Oblivion. Is every race in Skyrim going to be a fucking giant ripped warrior beast, damn haha. So far they do look really good though, even the Dark Elf I don't mind so much because obviously it's beard and raging expression makes it look less dark elf-ish, but if you imagine it normal it looks pretty morrowind esque. I hope they have a wide variety of different kind of people in each race; I'm sure they do but Oblivions 5 different types of each race being all and having the same voice got pretty ridiculous so I'm excited for all the variety/new voice actors. I'm going to be a huge ripped and scarred Nord and be like HURGHH DOVAKIN OR WHATEVER kinda like how I always play morrowind as a dark elf.

Yeah I know the Dwemer are gone, I HAVE been reading some of the lore now you know haha! I meant if they'd have any of the races that were still around (Dwemer ghosts like morrowind, the monkey people from Akavir who I know are still alive, the snake people they're not sure what they look like so that'd be cool to do a quest that revolves around meeting someone who turns out to be a snake guy and ends up being a super hard boss etc). I don't really care about snow elves too much (I get that they all branched off of the Altmer but c'mon, dark elves, wood elves, high elves, snow elves? Just way too many for me to keep track of and I far prefer the yellow douchey high elves, the more down to earth but violent dark elves and then the wood elves being sporadically put around) but I'm quite interesting in all these different ruins.

In Oblivion having the Ayleid ruins was pretty cool (what do the Ayleids look like btw? do we ever find out? I know they were basically like the Aldmer/Altmer forgot the exact spelling and were there before the Imperials came in and drove them out/they turned into the other elven races but is there any images?) but they got so repetitive thus I'm quite excited to see how they do unique dungeons in what they have (they also said some can be 10 min long, others can be 2 hours long so it'll be quite varied) as well as seeing a remake of the Dwemer ruins. The Dwemer ruins in morrowind were pretty creepy tbh, especially with the sound and graphics overhaul I have where the lighting is better, you can hear more sounds clearly etc; with the draw distances at much higher seeing the towers of the Dwemer ruins in the distance is quite spooky and if Skyrim has a few that could be really fucking cool to uncover. Hell I'm still working on Oblivion at the same time as Skyrim since I've never explored all of Cyrodill or Vardenfell in any time I've played the games; thus I don't get why people are bitching about Skyrim being the same size as Cyrodill since to see every fucking part of the map by traveling it will be really time consuming, especially since now there are actually REASONS to do so. Especially the interactive map makes it really cool; I'm basically playing Morrowind and Oblivion together and hitting up Human Revolution, Rage and BF3 when they come out in preparation for Skyrim. I have to at least become an expert in Merchantile since I've never invested in stores any time I've played Oblivion.

small edit: why don't we just have an elder scrolls thread? I'm sure there are enough of us here to enjoy john/other insane people posting the newest info and it'd be easy to help with mods/game stuff/questions about it. even if people aren't as obsessive or me or john, king of the elder scrolls I think it'd still be cool and would stop eating the gaming thread while still allowing the exchange of elder scrolls info (which is quite important).

That wood elf looks kinda odd and nothing like the brown tiny dudes I remember from Oblivion. Is every race in Skyrim going to be a fucking giant ripped warrior beast, damn haha. So far they do look really good though, even the Dark Elf I don't mind so much because obviously it's beard and raging expression makes it look less dark elf-ish, but if you imagine it normal it looks pretty morrowind esque. I hope they have a wide variety of different kind of people in each race; I'm sure they do but Oblivions 5 different types of each race being all and having the same voice got pretty ridiculous so I'm excited for all the variety/new voice actors. I'm going to be a huge ripped and scarred Nord and be like HURGHH DOVAKIN OR WHATEVER kinda like how I always play morrowind as a dark elf.

Yeah I know the Dwemer are gone, I HAVE been reading some of the lore now you know haha! I meant if they'd have any of the races that were still around (Dwemer ghosts like morrowind, the monkey people from Akavir who I know are still alive, the snake people they're not sure what they look like so that'd be cool to do a quest that revolves around meeting someone who turns out to be a snake guy and ends up being a super hard boss etc). I don't really care about snow elves too much (I get that they all branched off of the Altmer but c'mon, dark elves, wood elves, high elves, snow elves? Just way too many for me to keep track of and I far prefer the yellow douchey high elves, the more down to earth but violent dark elves and then the wood elves being sporadically put around) but I'm quite interesting in all these different ruins.

In Oblivion having the Ayleid ruins was pretty cool (what do the Ayleids look like btw? do we ever find out? I know they were basically like the Aldmer/Altmer forgot the exact spelling and were there before the Imperials came in and drove them out/they turned into the other elven races but is there any images?) but they got so repetitive thus I'm quite excited to see how they do unique dungeons in what they have (they also said some can be 10 min long, others can be 2 hours long so it'll be quite varied) as well as seeing a remake of the Dwemer ruins. The Dwemer ruins in morrowind were pretty creepy tbh, especially with the sound and graphics overhaul I have where the lighting is better, you can hear more sounds clearly etc; with the draw distances at much higher seeing the towers of the Dwemer ruins in the distance is quite spooky and if Skyrim has a few that could be really fucking cool to uncover. Hell I'm still working on Oblivion at the same time as Skyrim since I've never explored all of Cyrodill or Vardenfell in any time I've played the games; thus I don't get why people are bitching about Skyrim being the same size as Cyrodill since to see every fucking part of the map by traveling it will be really time consuming, especially since now there are actually REASONS to do so. Especially the interactive map makes it really cool; I'm basically playing Morrowind and Oblivion together and hitting up Human Revolution, Rage and BF3 when they come out in preparation for Skyrim. I have to at least become an expert in Merchantile since I've never invested in stores any time I've played Oblivion.

The guy who made the Bosmer made him too buff, you can control body type now. I saw another who looked more appropriate.

All elves started in Summer Set Isles (Altmer) back then they were Aldmer. The Ayleids went north, so they probably resembled the Altmer.

Hopefully we can see Yagrum Bagurn from Morrowind in Skyrim, otherwise, a Dwemer Ghost like in the Morrowind Tribunal expansion.

sorry for double post, but here's another wood elf. This one looks more like the traditional one I'm used to, except a fair amount more brown and again just a ridiculously buff insane warrior. I get that they're allowing different physiques this time around (greatly appreciated, having max strength in fallout 3 or oblivion yet still looking scrawny was odd) but it'd be nice to see a nimble archer for bosmers.
zJYdj.jpg

they've been almost exclusively showing off crazy warriors (dark elf I guess is more stealthy/nimble but still crazy warrior style) so it'd be nice to see at least one class that doesn't look insane and bloodthirsty aside from the chick pics. Still hoping they don't make all the elven races look too similar to each other and warrior like but just with different colors, but I doubt they will. say what you will about the oblivion faces, but at least the elven races had personality and differences while these all just like pissed battle hardened elves (sure its mountainous skyrim and they want to appeal to casual gamers but c'mon).

Yeah i'd like it if they showed more of the body types, even though i'm going to play a buff killer. I'm just really hoping the towns are really diverse and you see some elves who look like casual citizens like in oblivion in addition to the killer warriors etc. thanks for the info about the elves though, so i guess the ayleids would look like high elves as all the elves branched off from the aldmer, with the dunmer going to morrowind as the chimer then being turned into dunmer, and the others settling other places. still would be cool one day to see a true ayleid or again the idea i have of the snake people. I mean seriously, the lore around the snake people is so badass in how no one knows what they look like and the accounts are mixed that if there were say one in skyrim that immigrated from akavir and was killing people and you meet him not knowing he is one and then finally get into a boss battle with him that'd be awesome. far more than meeting the tang mo or something. i liked the story in morrowind (from what I remember), in oblivion it was ok with the new recognition stuff implemented but I think skyrim is the first one i'm truly insanely excited for. learning why the dragons are back and how you relate to them seems like a huge throwback to being nerevar in morrowind (don't spoil, still playing and i forgot a lot of it except that haha) and hopefully there'll be more relations to akavir or maybe some other provinces, like how in oblivion there was the one quest that had you on the border of skyrim getting the akavir artifact and dealing with some skyrim/akavir stuff. implementation of other worlds and cultures in each game is one thing that's really cool.