Gaming Thread

If it's steamworks, that means you would have been able to download it from Steam even if you bought it from Impulse.

Also steamworks implies that if you buy the physical edition, you still need to launch it through steam.

You're absolutely right John, you only live once. It's just that, as an old timer, I've learned that burning my eyes out twelve hours a day on video games is not a good way to make the most of my short time here. There's so much more to life and living and the human experience.

But hey... do what feels good, yo :)

yea but these guys are young. When I was their age I was up into the wee hours of hte night playing Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, Half Life etc. By the time they get to 26 or 27 and start really living they simply won't have the time for gaming as much. Plus add in girlfriends, work, travel, clubbing, etc...there just isn't enough time in the day.

All that being said...it still is great fun to chill with some beers and a game for a few hours on a weekend day.

Out of the problems the game does have, one unit per tile is one of the big things loved about the game and a highly appreciated change in the series by those who have thoroughly played it.

Out of the problems the game does have, one unit per tile is one of the big things loved about the game and a highly appreciated change in the series by those who have thoroughly played it.
I get the mechanic, and I get the intent the developers obviously had while implementing it, but having to move every single god damn unit at a time is simply horribly tedious if you're trying to get a large army to move from one place to the other.

yea but these guys are young. When I was their age I was up into the wee hours of hte night playing Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, Half Life etc. By the time they get to 26 or 27 and start really living they simply won't have the time for gaming as much. Plus add in girlfriends, work, travel, clubbing, etc...there just isn't enough time in the day.

All that being said...it still is great fun to chill with some beers and a game for a few hours on a weekend day.

You would be suprised at how much of an overgeneralization this really is. In the last good WoW guild I had been in, we raided four times a week for approximately four hours per night, and then there were the optional days as well. The guild was only made up of around fourty or so members, but over half of them were people above the age of 25, had gone to college and were working 40+ hour a week jobs.

Many of them were in a relationship (married or no) and their partners also played. Our guild specifically looked for adults, or at least the more "mature" people, but with the then 11+ million subscriptions to that game, I can guarantee our situation was nowhere near unique.

I get the mechanic, and I get the intent the developers obviously had while implementing it, but having to move every single god damn unit at a time is simply horribly tedious if you're trying to get a large army to move from one place to the other.

ok yeah, this aspect is terrible. Also the pathfinding is busted if there's units in the way so you really do have to manage a bunch of crap tediously. I hardly run into this problem though because I barely ever build large armies.

Though I did play one scenario where you have a giant army and each turn took forever just moving everything around, urghh.

Still, I think it's a great change it just needs to be refined.

I don't...well not as much

but I ain't even worried.

EDIT: also does anyone play League of Legends/Heroes of Newerth? looking for more peeps to play with when my clan isin't on.

If any of you guys are gonna be on Street Fighter III: Online Edition for xbl, add my gamertag: EbortionXsrk. Prepare to have your mind blown :kickass:

As opposed to what was arguably the most broken feature about it? I think it adds much more strategy to it than the "amass a large clump of dudes to pretty much win", even if it takes a little longer.

Oh and Shadows, I play HoN, just add tunk and try and catch me on :)

ok yeah, this aspect is terrible. Also the pathfinding is busted if there's units in the way so you really do have to manage a bunch of crap tediously. I hardly run into this problem though because I barely ever build large armies..
Well, I'm a large-army kinda guy, and let me tell you, if your enemy is a continent away, having to move your units one at a time is just incredibly tedious.

As opposed to what was arguably the most broken feature about it? I think it adds much more strategy to it than the "amass a large clump of dudes to pretty much win", even if it takes a little longer.
True, true, like I said, I get why the mechanic was implemented, but it should have been much better realised. It's a very good mechanic from a battle point of view, but it simply makes movement itself a bore. A better use might be, for instance, that units can move in stacks, but not fight in them. Something like that.