Gaming Thread

I'm damn serious. Read "Penetrating The Game" by Niel Strauss. Women psychology is easy. Demonstrate value, neg her, use cold reading, it's all very easy to me now. Almost formulaic.

homer_facepalm.jpg

haven't seen that enemy kid for like a week. he must be knee deep in that new game he was masturbating to. im making progress in morrowind and it's a cool game but i prefer oblivion. the fast travel in oblivion made the fucking game.

back. oh man that was fucking amazing. went tuesday morning to pick up my preorder, mall opened at 9 but store didn't open until 10 (i told the clerks who were opening and not selling me the game how fucking retarded that is but whatever) and i ended up getting it, going to a class (with a teacher who was a low talker too, fucking drove me insane) and then came home, lifted while it was installing, and played from roughly 1:30 pm - 12:30 am with breaks for food every few hours and pissing during loading screens (the new patch is amazing, the load screens pre-patch were like 30 seconds but now are 5 seconds max).

i can't believe how amazing the game is though, i mean fuck. i just can't even put into words how amazing the attention to detail, the atmosphere, the environment, the story, the progression, the choice; everything was just fucking spot on. the end of the game didn't slow down either, it just fucking picked up and kept going until the end where i was so blown away by the past few hours and everything that happened i was in shock and couldn't decide my ending for like 2 fucking minutes (of course after that and the credits, which has an awesome surprise, i went back and reloaded to see all the endings; just like typical deus ex fashion where none of them are "good", but this time there was one i actually felt was kinda the best one). the writing in the game really was amazing; they connected it to the deus ex universe in such a great way and there really were some philosophical and thought provoking things in there, none of which came out cheesy at all and it really is an interesting commentary on where we are.

only possible gripe was i basically did everything so by the end i literally had every augmentation except like maybe 2-4 upgrades that i didn't want at all, but to be fair i seriously scoured the entire game for max xp so if someone were playing it normally it'd be balanced very well. also in one section:

SPOILERHOLYGODSPOILER they have an email from morgan everett working at a place and talking and another one from nicolette duclaire, but at the time of the game she would be 10 even if she was the oldest one could possibly imagine in deus ex, yet they made it seem like she worked there was well so it was a pretty big continuity fail. SPOILEROVERYOU'RESAFE

if you don't have it, get it. 10/10, seriously close to touching the original, just a tad bit short.

I'm going to get it but from what I've gathered so far, it's basically Splinter Cell: Conviction in the Deus Ex world...which isn't bad...necessarily.

I'm hoping for a lot more intuitiveness, however.

i heard that graphically it isn't really impressive. not that that takes away from the game, but still...

i think it looks amazing, when i first got to the second city hub i literally sat there for a minute staring into the sky looking at the skyrscrapers, the planes flying miles overhead, the giant metal ceiling supporting the second tier of the city, the neon billboards etc. i've only done that for the most graphically impressive games ever, but this games art design seriously makes it so you don't even notice any graphical issues. there may be some low res textures, but everything looks so amazing, unique, massive, stylish that you won't even notice.

the game also isn't just stealth, again you can play it however you want. you can sneak through the areas with no one seeing you, you can sneak around and stealthily take everyone down, you can silently pick everyone off with a silenced weapon, you can go in guns blazing and kill everyone, you can find secret entrances and find a path through that helps you avoid everyone, you can hack into the computer and turn the robots/turrets against them (i did that in one level and literally wiped out at least 15 guards) or hell you can even hack the turrets, use the strength aug to pick one up, and walk through the entire level with the turret killing all the enemies for you as you hold it and it's set on kill all enemies. more freedom is allowed through the level design and mechanics than any game i've ever played.

i heard that graphically it isn't really impressive. not that that takes away from the game, but still...

Graphically, from a "technical" view it's not impressive at all considering it's 2011 and based off of 2005 hardware. Artistically though, it's amazing.

I'm glad Enemy enjoyed it, but to me it's just turning out to be yet another "yeah, it was decent, but nothing truly remarkable" kind of game. Rather, it seems like it's only going to be worth replaying for beating it one more time on the highest difficulty and that's all. I could list all of the reasons as to why I feel the game offers very little at all in the way of actual choice, and how none of the augments outside of hacking matter one bit...but you should probably play it for yourself and draw your own conclusions.

It's very much worth playing at least once.

if you don't have it, get it. 10/10, seriously close to touching the original, just a tad bit short.

Opinions and such, but the game is nowhere near a 10/10. That's also a score that's liberally handed out like candy left and right anymore--to mostly shitty and recycled games. It's probably one of the best games of the current generation, but that's honestly not saying much for this generation of games. There were also a lot of random comments about how it was so similar to the Metal Gear games, and I never saw it. But after playing it, it feels like it really could be from that series. Mostly because the gameplay boils down to two things: stealth or shoot, and shooting is never worth it if you're trying to whore experience. But then at the same time, the experience is mostly worthless since pretty much all of the augments are for convenience only.

the game also isn't just stealth, again you can play it however you want.

Nah. The game really is lopsided and it's almost a tie between stealth and shooting as far as real choices go. The other two of the "four pillars" are so marginalized that they may as well not even exist. In the end, the game is not an RPG at all, it's another shooter with a lot of good voice acting and a few purchaseable upgrades. The stealth however is significantly better than in the previous Deus Ex games, and despite the fact that there's a lot less choice than there should have been, the stealth is so damn fun I did not really care...too much.

I'm going to get it but from what I've gathered so far, it's basically Splinter Cell: Conviction in the Deus Ex world...which isn't bad...necessarily.

That is a pretty fair assessment, although I think the Splinter Cell games did some things better, and HR does many things better. At the very least, I don't feel like I wasted my money at all, but if I were going to play it on the console, I would probably rent it. But then that's the magic of hindsight isn't it? Hacking on a console will be utter bullshit though, but I could see everything else actually being easier.

If you haven't played Bastion, go do it right now. kthx

I keep thinking about it, but does it ever really feel like more than anything other than recycled Zelda "action" sequences? Or possibly some Landstalker?

Hmm, nevermind on that question.

Bastion is a self-proclaimed action-RPG title, although I found as much role-playing as I would in a typical game of Call of Duty. The RPG moniker is getting a lot of abuse these days, being assigned to any game that offers any nuance of customization. Role-playing is about assuming a role and developing a character that you become emotionally attached to. Bastion is pure arcade action, and I would venture to say it is more like a one-player version of Gauntlet or any other isometric shooter.

I'm definitely not someone who is "above" that kind of game...considering I played the hell out of Diablo 2 every day for like nine months straight in 2000 - 2001, but unless there's a lot of variety (in any aspect of the game), I tend to get bored quickly anymore. I really do like the art style with it though.