Gaming Thread

I was waiting for that.

No, it doesn't. The game shouldn't even be set in boring ass Skyrim, but since it is, and they've already taken such measures to ensure it IS exactly like Norse Culture/Mythology, (for one example, Draugr for the undead, didn't even bother coming up with an original name for that one), they might as well have just gone all the way with it. Lorkhan is referred by the Nords as "Shor" for Thor's sake.And that's on top of what we already have, ice trolls, Norse styled armors (even if it's romanticized), a Valhalla-like afterlife, all the way down to the environments.

If I had it my way, the game would be set in Summerset Isles, where we could return to an alien-like approach. Or even Black Marsh. Might as well just call Dovakhiin Beowulf and be done with it. At least we're getting a Dunmer city. Winterhold, I can't wait to live there.

I feel better now. And really, there weren't Roman like Arenas in Scandinavia (I think?) so I that rant was baseless. Still, thank you, Max. *whispers* Thank you for letting me share with you...

Oh, are you kidding? This game is all I have to live for. I'm just saying, it could have been SO much more interesting.

ALTHOUGH, some great points, Dwemer Ruins are in, as well as the Falmer! (Snow Elves) They look like retarded mask-wearing Goblins, though.... It's still unclear if they are undead or not.

Oh, gosh, mostly memory and in-games books. But if you want to read up on stuff, The Imperial Library is the place to do it.

http://www.imperial-library.info/

My personal suggested reading is

The War of The First Council (And the entire Morrowind/Dwemer lore)
The 36 Sermons of Vivec (For poetic value)
The Trial of Vivec
The Real Barenziah (Fantastic stand alone story that leads up to the events of the first game)
Love Letter From The Fifth Era (if you like poetry)
The Fall of The Snow Prince/The Legendary Companions (Where you can learn how the Nords genocided an entire race in Skyrim)
Anything you can find about Tiber Septim/Talos

In general, I recommend everything written by Michael Kirkbride, as well as Chimer, Dwemer, Dunmer, Nord, Imperial and Altmer lore. The other races aren't as fleshed out and interesting.

The most powerful character that ever existed in TES universe is Talos. The Nord born (from Atmora, not Tamriel) third era emperor who mantled Lorkhan. The Altmer currently want to erase him and the very idea him and mankind from exsistance and recorded history, so they can undo the mortal realm (Mundus) and free their spirits back into the Et'Adra. To do this, they have conquered the Bosmer and reformed The Aldmeri Dominion, which is exactly why this game should be taking place there, instead of Skyrim.

Here is a Falmer (Snow Elf) in Skyrim.

2je4p5s.jpg

Their lore was realized in Morrowind's Blooodmoon Expansion, with left four theories
A-They were wiped out entirely by Ysmir and his 500 companions when they returned to Skyrim from Atmora, to destroy their kind in vengeance for the Night of Tears.
B-They have interbreeded with other elven races.
C-They still exists in the deepest reaches of Skyrim.
D-They evolved into the modern Rieklings found within Solstheim/ Presumably Skyrim.

ih42t3.jpg

We can safely eliminate theories A and B since they have been confirmed to be in the game.

Also, I'm willing to bet (real money, I'll pay up if I'm wrong) that the Dovakhiin will transform into a Dragon (possibly Akatosh) to defeat Alduin at the end of the game.
A-We will be absorbing dragon souls, although they're used to learn words of power, others can use the language without them.
B-We are born with the soul of a dragon.
C-Akatosh is the Imperial variation of Alduin (Think Greek/Roman god adaptation) who wants to preserve Mundus rather than eat it.
D-After two years of development (Two years and six people working specifically on dragons) and hard work put into making dragons unscripted in the game, it wouldn't be hard for Bethesda to implement us taking ones form. One of the shouts summons one, so why not?
E-It's been confirmed not all Dragons are out to destroy the world/us.
F-It would almost, for lack of a better term, be poetic justice for how many of us felt fucked over in Oblivion when Martin transformed into Akatosh to defeat Mehrunes Dagon, while we stood and watched.

I'm starting Human Revolution as I type, so no more Skyrim from me. I hope I made some of you a little more excited for the game. Bethesda should really hire me.

You guys should seriously stop geting yourselves all hyped. I just know how this is going to turn out: you're getting all giddy now, then you'll play the game for two days straight claiming it's the BEST GAME EVAR, and then after those two days you'll all gripe about how much it sucks because you simply played too much of it in a short time.

That said, started a WH40K: Space Marine game. It's a bit of a button masher, and the controls are frustrating, but gutting Orks and then stomping their heads stays fun! :D

I didn't do that with Oblivion, I didn't get tired of it until 500 hours later and that was with the broken level scaling. So I won't this time either.

You just don't like learning info before it comes out. :D

I'm doing with Skyrim what I'm doing with ME3. Aside from a few teasers, I'm avoiding as MUCH as humanly possible when it comes to content and details. When I immerse myself into a game I like being blown away by the details instead of having an expectation set beforehand by hear-say, trailers, and beta-testing. I've found that games let me down less when I don't have them built up to such a high standard before they even come out. Setting the bar too high months before release is the quickest way to ruin an otherwise enjoyable game.

You guys should seriously stop geting yourselves all hyped. I just know how this is going to turn out: you're getting all giddy now, then you'll play the game for two days straight claiming it's the BEST GAME EVAR, and then after those two days you'll all gripe about how much it sucks because you simply played too much of it in a short time.

That's exactly what is going to happen. That's also why in the back of my mind, I'm still assuming it's just going to suck ass like Oblivion did. At least if you already start at the bottom of a pile of shit, the only way to go is up.

At least if you already start at the bottom of a pile of shit, the only way to go is up.

My centiments exactly. A lot of people get caught up in hype by following E3 hard and reading Game Informer or following kotaku, gt, or any other media outlet for gaming. They end up being let down. Setting superhuman expectations for a game is the quickest path to unenjoyment.

I've only followed a bit of info on Skyrim due to the fact that with these kind of games I can control my anticipation (unlike human revolution), despite the fact that I love the series. I just can't wait to dive in and experience everything for the first time, and in a game that creates an open world like this, it really is much better just running into random and amazing things.

Basically I've been playing morrowind and human revolution, and not following any other games. this holiday i'm going to be blown away by all the fabulous games and I'm quite pumped.

Don't get me wrong, I'm also very expectant about Skyrim, because I just love these wide-open RPGs like DF, MW and OB, but folks in this place and the people on the Bethesda forums are setting themselves up for yet another round of bitching about how the game they thought would be the best ever, actually sucks after the two days of playing it to death.

Oh, gosh, mostly memory and in-games books. But if you want to read up on stuff, The Imperial Library is the place to do it.

http://www.imperial-library.info/

My personal suggested reading is

The War of The First Council (And the entire Morrowind/Dwemer lore)
The 36 Sermons of Vivec (For poetic value)
The Trial of Vivec
The Real Barenziah (Fantastic stand alone story that leads up to the events of the first game)
Love Letter From The Fifth Era (if you like poetry)
The Fall of The Snow Prince/The Legendary Companions (Where you can learn how the Nords genocided an entire race in Skyrim)
Anything you can find about Tiber Septim/Talos

you forgot The Lusty Argonian Maid

No more retarded level scaling
More environment types
Character models that don't look like monkeys
Perks instead of that broken multiplier system
12 people working on hand crafted dungeons instead of Oblivions 1 dungeon designer
Michael-God Him Self-Kirkbride writing again
30+ hour main quest
70+ voice actors instead of 8

The only possible backlash I can see them getting is the one they've already gotten for reducing the number of skills and taking out attributes. Other than that, I can't see any way this could bomb. Over 40 hands on previews, and of those, only one was negative.

you forgot The Lusty Argonian Maid

:D

Dead Island looked fucking lame to me tbh. All these new zombie games are just really overdoing the zombie fad (sooo sick of it) and that just had a clever trailer which got people all pumped, and looks like it's just another hack and slash. if i'm wrong though and it's great please let me know; since there aren't any good games out until Rage next early october i'm pretty much doing morrowind and my 2nd dxhr playthrough (though that should be done by next weekend).