Gaming Thread

I disagree. I'm so tired of those pompous, large-scale save-the-world storylines. WHat ever happened to smaller scale, more personal stories? Nowadays it's all gotta be guns-akimbo-shooting-up-gods-getting-the-girl-saving-the-world shit.

i think when it comes to the elder scrolls series you kinda have to have a large scale plot haha. in a game like shenmue or something else yeah it can be personal, but in the elder scrolls, fallout, mass effect, the main point is that huge story that affects the entire world. also killing vivec is a little different than a god of war style boss battle haha, its more just slashing at him as fast as you can and downing spell reflect/restore fatigue potions like there's no tomorrow

Meet Frank Mardukus: Savior of the Wasteland

2ep3jgo.jpg

need to do some killin eh?

i wish i could find full conversion/mod packs for oblivion and fallout 3 like they have for morrowind. if anyone knows of any mods like the Morrowind Sound and Graphics overhaul where it just makes the game fucking amazing by compiling all the best mods in an easy to install way, please let me know thnx.

remembered last night how much i fucking HATE red mountain and it's blight storms that are impossible to see through. it's absurd how much i forgot about morrowind; the main quest really fucking rules and makes you feel truly powerful like you're involved in an epic quest to save the world (yeah i know on this page we already discussed how people hated that but if it's done right i think it's really cool). i think a lot of the stuff is really cheesy in it and don't care about a lot of the lore (though some is really interesting) but i gotta say i felt like a badass when i got keening and just walked into red mountain kicking the shit out of everyone with my level 43 character with a daedric katana, ebony armor w/daedric greaves, fist of ranagulf and wraithguard and the helm of oryen bearclaw. A lot of the lore is really interesting and the sermons of vivec are quite interesting to read.

since i forgot so much of it i'm insanely pumped to finish up red mountain tonight by getting sunder and then fighting dagoth ur since it's basically totally fresh to me. hell, after that i still have tribunal and bloodmoon to do (since i never did them despite owning them) so i have a shitload more morrowind to go!

the fact that john said that guy who did all the story/writings for morrowind is doing skyrim makes me really excited as well. honestly the story in morrowind, the setting, the books, the lore, all of it really just oozes quality and feels like you're truly immersed in the world. again, i'm a guy who liked oblivion but the main quest just didn't feel urgent, didn't feel like it affected the world all that much and overall kinda bored me a bit since it was just closing oblivion gate after oblivion gate. with morrowind you do feel urgency and like it's affecting the world with the dreamers walking around, seeing the huge ghost gate, all the sixth house bases and how it all relates to the gods. the dialogue i had with vivec was some of the most captivating dialogue i've had in a game since human revolution (fuck you guys) and a long time before that, and i've even played this game before in 2002 but just forgot about it! if skyrim can have a story/environment/world/lore that feels this engrossing and like it's a truly unique world that you're a part of then i will seriously be playing skyrim constantly for all 200+ hours i probably can.

Either I'm just so jaded after having played so many "samey" games, or it seems like most of the people acting like HR is all that are wrapped up in nostalgia from the first and the modern production of the current. It's a good game, but it's nowhere near that good.

That video was kind of funny, but he reminded me of a scared cat more than anything. :)

And in case anyone cared, the Dark Souls reviews are slowly trickling in, and the news is kind of expected. If you liked Demon's Souls, then the sequel is a no brainer.

FUCK YES i just defeated dagoth ur, removing the blight from vvardenfell and ending the terror of the sixth house, i am nerevar reincarnateeeee.

i don't think i actually ever beat the main quest until now, when i owned it on xbox i must've just done everything but finished the main quest. oddly enough i seriously don't remember meeting dagoth ur, destroying the heart or being visited by azura and all that happens after etc. i guess i must've stopped before then or something, since i know i finished a bunch of the main quest but damn it felt good to finish. talking to vivec after was cool too, i don't believe vivecs account of red mountain fully and i'm glad that the tribunal will be losing their power because they strike me as dicks.

now it's on to tribunal and bloodmoon and since i've never played either, here's hoping they fucking rule. i'm going to do tribunal first since i think thats the expansion that came first, and then hit up bloodmoon; i'm glad it'll have all new creatures/settings/weapons/armor because as much as i like the stuff in the vanilla game, i'm pretty much fully familiar with most of the creatures/weapons/armor so while it's not boring yet, i rarely see something totally new. getting to do a few more side quests/get some unique loot and then do the 2 expansions will break up any monotony to the max and allow me to sink an even more absurd number of hours into it.

need to do some killin eh?

i wish i could find full conversion/mod packs for oblivion and fallout 3 like they have for morrowind. if anyone knows of any mods like the Morrowind Sound and Graphics overhaul where it just makes the game fucking amazing by compiling all the best mods in an easy to install way, please let me know thnx.

This is all you need to know

TES Nexus

copy pasta from my facebutt:

Playing Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. Honestly, I'm loving it. What some people say are "sluggish" controls aren't sluggish at all. In fact, the start-up frames are quite fast. They are RIGID in that they don't have the buffer-ability that you have in other systems (e.g. GoW.) For some, this may be considered a fault. For me, I like games that require you to wait until the recovery frames have been executed in order to start up another action or combo. It's called precision. Some of us actually like games that require good execution. In fact, I think a high execution requirement is VERY fitting for the Castlevania franchise. Oh well, I suppose babies need their bottles. Have fun with your other games, mashers.

alpha protocol for $2? that's a fucking amazing deal. we've already had this debate, but i stand by the fact that alpha protocol (as flawed as it is) is a decently fun game with a lottt of innovation/new elements that actually work, and then drops the ball on the elements which are already established (like a functioning fucking camera and animations that don't make a crouching character look like elmer fudd or something creeping in a cartoon).

definitely worth $2 to experience such a deep system of cause/effects and something that is pretty unique in terms of story/setting. Steam has such amazing fucking deals, I'm waiting for Borderlands to go insanely cheap because I do want to try it out but don't want to throw any money down on it as I already have more than enough games I need to get through.