Gaming Thread

Check out the perks.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Perks

Bound Weapons look awesome now and have some good perks, might do that for the first time on the Battlemage.

Stealth character will get every perk on the tree and be unstoppable. First time I've ever wanted to do a stealth run in my life.

jhc854.jpg

Fucking Awesome

the more i hear about skyrim the more pumped i am, so i'm trying to hold off so it's completely fresh (except for the stuff that gets posted here which i check out).

i've been so engrossed in the witcher it's absolutely fucking RIDICULOUS. i can't believe i put off playing it for so long because i thought it couldn't be as good as the witcher 2 (still isn't, but definitely is pretyyy close). i must say it's a lot darker, more fucked up, more mature, and despite the backtracking there are so many side quests and people who aren't truthful and hide behind words/others; it seriously is so fun i can hardly put it down. i'm in the swamp area now and i dunno why everyone is bitching about it, then again i just got there and have only killed the giant plant/some other giant plants/got the quen sign/killed a bunch of drowners. i heard that the witcher was insanely punishing difficulty wise so i played it on easy but i have yet to find a part that seriously frustrates me. maybe because i do all the side quests so i'm higher level or have good gear? dunno.

anyone get bf3 today? i'm definitely going to wait because today i have an appointment/classes/birthday dinner/errands but i'm thinking later this week i'll pick it up. if you get it retail do you have to install origin/deal with all that bullshit? i realllyyy don't want to muck up my computer with random programs/services/ea bullshit but i do want to support the developer by buying it and pirating it as well as buying it legit but never installing it would be kinda insane.

The dialogue will also be Fallout 3 like, with failed attempts at persuasion and intimidation.

That being said, this game will wipe it's ass with Fallout 3 and everything else Bethesda has done since Tribunal.

It's being ported to the PC, not the consoles. It's being developed on the consoles.

Any other time I would buy it for PC, but being the game that it is, I think the experience would be better on the consoles. I never really gave much of a shit about the mods anyway unless they're dungeons and such. Feels almost like cheating.

Only if you go out of your way to pick up "those" kinds of mods. Most people would pickup graphical mods that make it look light years better than anything the console could do, as well as a ton of game "fixes" that took an ultra shallow and trashy game and tried to turn it into something enjoyable. I couldn't stomach playing the vanilla Oblivion more than a day before I had to look up mods that changed the way leveling and skill placement was handled, as well as something to make the combat harder/less mind-numbingly dull. Still never finished the game even with it loaded up on mods either. Hoping that Skyrim is nowhere near that awful out of the box.

The main reason to get the PC version if you're talking about mods being available on all platforms is because I doubt they will be accessable as early for the consoles, and wouldn't be suprised if there is a week or even month delay and only "approved" mods would get released on XBL/PSN.

BF3 is good origin isin't terrible, just doing the old fashion way would have been better but it could have been worse, the game itself is fucking amazing all the maps are very distinct and have a lot of cool features, one map in rush mode ends the second phase on a HUGE cliff face that you jump off with your entire team to go to the 3rd phase down at the bottom in a huge quarry.

One of the other maps is a huge oil field with giant black smoked oil fires off in the distance with a giant processing facility as the battle ground, you start off with like 4 tanks two helicopters and 2 jets it's insane.

I've also never purchased a dedicated sound card ever since the second one I had in 2000. I've just been using onboard, which ranged from suck, to pretty "decent". But now that I have more than a decent set of headphones that need something stronger to make them sound good, and because the Dolby Headphone stuff doesn't work with games if you're just using software, I finally ended up buying one from Newegg. I've seen a lot of praise for this particular card on the Headfi forums, and most of the reviews seem to completely gush over it too. I was wanting to have a better sound setup for ME3, but I may as well have it ready for Skyrim too. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132010&Tpk=essence stx

The first few Uncharted 3 reviews are out too if anyone cares.

Played some Heroes of Might and Magic VI, and it's a lot of fun (though more-of-the-same in terms of gameplay if you've played the other games), but it's plagued by the same god damn problem the games before had: the AI simply, plainly cheats. Even on the Normal level, AI Heroes conjure up units out of thin air. Not only is it unfair, it's also completely frustrating since I have to rely on my weekly creature growth, and defeating an enemy hero quickly will simply cause the next one to spawn earlier (complete with army), instead of giving the player some respite. So you can choose: either fight an unstoppable tide of enemy heroes and their conjured-up armies, or let one enemy hero run rampant and take every town you have.

Played some Heroes of Might and Magic VI, and it's a lot of fun (though more-of-the-same in terms of gameplay if you've played the other games), but it's plagued by the same god damn problem the games before had: the AI simply, plainly cheats. Even on the Normal level, AI Heroes conjure up units out of thin air. Not only is it unfair, it's also completely frustrating since I have to rely on my weekly creature growth, and defeating an enemy hero quickly will simply cause the next one to spawn earlier (complete with army), instead of giving the player some respite. So you can choose: either fight an unstoppable tide of enemy heroes and their conjured-up armies, or let one enemy hero run rampant and take every town you have.

This was not that much of an issue in HoMM5 until you started playing as a Sylvan and had to do that map vs the 3-4 enemy Heroes. That was the first map that was truly annoying where the computer cheated without question. Notice that you're still calling it "Heroes of" as well; they changed it RANDOMLY after five iterations, but I'm still going to call it HoMM6 too. :)

This was not that much of an issue in HoMM5 until you started playing as a Sylvan and had to do that map vs the 3-4 enemy Heroes. That was the first map that was truly annoying where the computer cheated without question.
GOD YES THAT MAP! I cheated myself on that one, because the computer didn't even bother hiding its unfairness: it literally conjured up heroes and units in my field of view! I mean, at least try to hide it!

Notice that you're still calling it "Heroes of" as well; they changed it RANDOMLY after five iterations, but I'm still going to call it HoMM6 too. :)
Yeah, right, it's "Might & Magic Heroes" now. Whatever, the can change the wrapping as much as they want, it's still the same game.

With the same cheating AI.

Was gonna get BF3 on PC but I just discovered it doesn't support XP. PS3 it is, then. I'll be getting a new PC after the new year...I might just wait.

Downloading HoMM6 myself currently. I'm up for "more of the same" simply because I enjoyed the series quite a bit, and they do change just enough to make it more than expansion with updated graphics. I think the best change as far as the Heroes goes is that their skills are no longer randomized for you to pick between and are now just a huge skill tree that allows you to pick what you want each level up. That might be kind of minor, but to me it's pretty huge, because I can now actually make the Hero I want without having to constantly reload a save hoping to get what I needed.

I hear that the game does have some nightmare issues though; namely the requirement to play while connected to the internet to access the "full" game. Problem is when the game decides to randomly disconnect you. The other games all had a quick save feature, so I'm not sure why this would not. If it does, then there's no real reason to lose "hours" of gameplay unless you simply forget/get lazy.

Downloading HoMM6 myself currently. I'm up for "more of the same" simply because I enjoyed the series quite a bit, and they do change just enough to make it more than expansion with updated graphics. I think the best change as far as the Heroes goes is that their skills are no longer randomized for you to pick between and are now just a huge skill tree that allows you to pick what you want each level up. That might be kind of minor, but to me it's pretty huge, because I can now actually make the Hero I want without having to constantly reload a save hoping to get what I needed.
Yep, that's changed, and a good thing it is. It sucks to level up and see your only choices being war machines-perks.

I hear that the game does have some nightmare issues though; namely the requirement to play while connected to the internet to access the "full" game. Problem is when the game decides to randomly disconnect you. The other games all had a quick save feature, so I'm not sure why this would not. If it does, then there's no real reason to lose "hours" of gameplay unless you simply forget/get lazy.
Regardless, the game autosaves every turn, so even if you get booted (never happened to me), you can just pick up where you left off.

"We caught hold of Bioware CEO Dr. Ray Muzyka on the Gamscom show floor and got a chance to ask him about the polarising effect of Dragon Age 2, and Bioware’s plans for Dragon Age 3. “The team is going to have some things that are going to surprise both sets of fans, both core fans and new fans with a marriage of the best from both games, Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2,” he says"

Yeah, with the best things from 2! Like...like...