Gaming Thread

Maybe I should have just said upfront that if I were going to be using it for anything but a fighting game, then I would just use the default 360 pad, because it works for the majority of games. I just don't see the point of the Fight Pad for platformers or anything like that when the default isn't really handicapping you. I really only see two genres that require something better; fighting games and FPS (which all suck ass with controllers, and should only be played with a mouse/keyboard!).

Converters usually suck, but if you can find a good PS3 > 360 converter, then all you need is one of the USB Saturn pads to play on the 360. If not for the fact that you can't really use a Saturn pad reliably on other systems and it's also harder to do button combinations without laying it on your leg or holding it in some other strange position, I would probably just use it over a stick because it's so less cumbersome and doesn't have any positional requirements.

Yeah. Either way, I'm only using this for platformers and shmups (mostly emulated stuff and doujinshi) anyhow. I like playing Touhou Project during my lunch breaks or whenever I have free time during the day. Carrying around a large arcade stick wouldn't be prudent so I use this instead. The clickiness and response is what turned me on when it comes to this pad. I even like the "joystick" on it *shrug* Being able to feel out the microswitch instead of a not-so trustworthy rubber actuator helps out my execution. With it I know exactly when the I/O is happening and because it's a switch there's zero dead zone. As far as the dead zone you said you felt on your friends pad (particularly the joystick,) he must have gotten a bad one. The thing is very tight on mine.

As far as the regular xbox360 pad handicapping me? That thing is a piece of shit. :lol: I hate the regular controllers for retro styled games and the d-pad (even the one with the adjustable cross) is fucking awful. I play games like Super Meat Boy pretty seriously (I was working the leaderboards until they started using glitches) and I want whatever advantage I can get. Trust me, if you ever got into bullet hell-type games you would want as crisp of an input as you could get. Besides, even if the pad wasn't handicapping me, there's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to push the comfort level of one's peripheral. I mean, it's merely an extension of one's body and they should have it as comfortable as possible to maximize their potential. I can function very well on a 360pad and I did for a long time, I just felt like I could do better with a device more suited to my liking.

Or just treat it as a third person shooter and don't do melee combat.

Which is what I'll most likely end up doing, and just playing yet another caster. That just makes it feel even more like a very generic "shooter" though with text to read. I know you don't seem to get hung up on gameplay, but we've had this discussion before. I don't really play video games because I want a great novel to read. I'm hoping that the world ends up being interesting enough that I'll want to go through it, and just treat the combat (which makes up 75% of the "game") as a random minigame or something.

The Elder Scrolls games have never been about amazing combat, and yeah while that's no excuse for it being bad if you go into it knowing that it makes it a lot better. Morrowind had fucking awful combat in terms of melee (random shield blocks, just swinging over and over and hearing wooshing sounds) yet that didn't make the rest of the game not absolutely fucking amazing, and I still enjoyed fighting the enemies because of the interesting types, my stats, my equipment, setting etc. Oblivion to me while still being not great was still fun combat if the enemies changed; as long as the enemies/equipment/settings are changing then even bad combat can be fun whereas great combat can be lame if its the same enemy over and over and over again.

so either way i'm pumped for skyrims combat because it looks better than oblivions and has tons of new enemies/areas. honestly with the amount of shit they put in the world and so many different player types they have to account for one should be able to cut them a little bit of slack for not having the most amazing combat system ever. hell, the original Witcher combat system is pretty simplistic (same with the 2nd) yet it's fun as fuck, the game is amazing, and i can hunt monsters for hours because there are different types and different ways of dealing with them.

then again i guess anyone can find things to nitpick and everyone has their own opinions, so if you go into skyrim expecting the combat of a game built from the ground up with the sole purpose of amazing combat and none of hte other things/massive scale then you'll be disappointed. i wouldn't go as far as to call it shitty or bad enough to disregard from the game. i haven't watched any of the streams (don't want to risk spoiling the story) but from descriptions it sounds better than oblivion yet not perfect with enemy reactions etc.

a viking based game without werewolves would have been really strange lol

been playing a lot of magic lately, wish I had got into it sooner. Found my old cards in storage and have been building off those and buying cards like crazy, it's kinda become an obsession, but a manageable one. Went to bullmoose to buy a CD and they didn't have it so I started leaving kinda down but as I walk out I notice something on the wall, turn and see a a whole section with awesome magic stuff on it. Boxes of different protectors, packs from zendikar and rise of the eldrazi and some fairly old stuff as well. it was like christmas had come early since most card shops carry SOM/2012/innistrad and a few accessories.

I have to hear about that shit too much. :lol: I'm so sick of it! Seriously, every 15-18 year old kid I have to deal with on a daily basis at the tech center drones on and on and on and on about it.

yeah i'm surprised at how alive it still is, I thought it would have had a small following in the past few years and stayed there but it seems to have got bigger lol

lol I put together this deck were i play a Swamp -> Dark Ritual -> Buried Alive -> end turn then second turn I play a Swamp -> Animate Dead -> Bladewing The Risen -> Bladewing The Risen -> Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund then attack for 15 flying :p

it's a brutal deck I have some Bogarden Hellkites, Artesian of Kozilek, a lot of draw cards and discards like x4 smallpox (which is awesome btw) x2 funeral charm's then I have deck clearer's like lightning bolt and pyroclasm for those pesky tokens/small creatures/hexproof/shroud. it's not bad for my first deck I played a projectionist at work last night and beat him 1/2 but he had an infect deck and the second game I got a terrible hand. then I played the other projectionist and beat him all three time's and his deck is quite nice. I really have to find a place around here to play, the deck obviously isin't standard but I got a U/W control deck that's standard that I enjoy.

I don't live near my old job anymore and only go up there once a week for some extra hours and to play some magic at night but we all have tablets and are going to try some kind of skype set-up so we can test new shit we get in our decks lol.

I ran into a few decks during State this year that completely ruined my anus. One guy had an artifact LifeLink/Deathtouch deck that was super hard to defeat.....and I mean really really hard.

FUUUU