Gaming Thread

You guys are going to burn me for this.

I'm having a really hard time getting into The Witcher 2. I just hit Chapter 2 and saved and quit at the Dwarven city. The combat is fun. The art style and maturity are great. Triss is damn sexy and I want to save her.

Nothing else interest me... I don't feel a need to explore because there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of weapons and armor (clothing) to be found, and I don't really need to upgrade because on normal difficulty this game isn't all that hard (and that's without Quen spam). Plus the gear is so boring... I'm guessing there's heavy level scaling, also, so I don't feel a need to level up.

Geralt seems really two dimensional (he just basically told Triss he loved her, she gets kidnapped and he doesn't act like he gives a shit. I know this is supposed to be an older, mature hero, but the believability isn't there.) The world is pretty but not interesting. It doesn't make me think "Hmm, what's this???". Everything is standard traditional fantasy fare, but not even high fantasy because it's all so human and predictable. The storyline leaves a lot to be desired. I want to save Triss, but I find myself not caring about these politics. It's even hard to sympathize with the Scoitel because they're so unlikable.

Do things pick up in Chapter 2? I really want to like this.

Also, I know I didn't play the first so it's not really fair. And I don't want to come off as an impatient child seeking instant gratification. This doesn't seem like an RPG at all, though. It feels like a hack n slash with good dialogue.

Wow dude, you're actually right...it really is kinda strange at the beginning and a little slow. I think this is in order to help familiarize the player with the game and story. When you start leveling your abilities and your gear starts leveling much higher and you can start customizing your gear, that's where the combat starts to shine.

Like you said, however, it's really not an RPG. It's more of an action/pseudo RPG. The storyline isn't very deep, but it does get better. Fortunately, things DO pick up in Chapter 2. You're gonna see more plot twists, more choices, and more badassery.

The thing you have to remember about Triss is that they're not necessarily in love...they're just fucking. Triss was a sorceress from the first game, and while they fucked in that one too, they weren't necessarily exclusive. Hell, even when you ARE exclusive in the Witcher series, Geralt still fucks everything with a pulse while Triss doesn't seem to mind. They're like fuck buddies who also happen to be a fighting team. It's totally up to you to decide how seriously you wanna take Triss, and that's probably why he seems a bit indifferent in the first chapter.

It'll get better, trust me. Help the Scoiatel in your next go-round and your entire game will be different from your first choice. I think you expected the Witcher to be something it's not, however. I think maybe you were expecting it to be more heavy RPG with a very deep storyline and such, and it's really not that deep. The story gets better but it's still the same goal: find who betrayed you and kill them.

I could NOT get into Witcher 2 and I'm already turning it back into gamestop. I don't know if it's the lackluster combat or if the universe just doesn't appeal to me. Among other things the voice acting is bizarre and unnatural which kills it for me considering there's so much of it. I don't know, I gave it about 10 hours and after that I felt that I'd given it enough of a chance and decided to get rid of it. Also, for some reason the engine feels dated, I don't really know how to explain that better. The combat is where I feel the most let down. It's not super easy like everything else out there (aside from the Dark/Demon Souls) but it still manages to bore me to tears. I don't know, I don't get the hype surrounding the game. With that being said, I don't think it's an awful game. I just don't think it's my kind of game.

I don't really need to upgrade because on normal difficulty this game isn't all that hard (and that's without Quen spam).

The game was supposedly harder before a later patch on the PC. I played it on hard before then and didn't find it too much more difficult after the first few levels. The game's difficulty curve is rather inverse, with the hardest parts being at the start; except for a fight near the end of the game. I honestly would not be suprised at all if they made it even easier for the console. I agree with your complaints about it not feeling like an RPG though. It has more in common with the more recent Batman games and the Souls series. Those are heavily combat driven with very "light" RPG elements tossed in. Although the Souls games don't have any narrative to speak of.

I think the main problem with the combat system is:

With Quen = boring and easy
Without Quen = a frustrated staggerfest

Pretty much.

The thing you have to remember about Triss is that they're not necessarily in love...they're just fucking. Triss was a sorceress from the first game, and while they fucked in that one too, they weren't necessarily exclusive.

They aren't necessarily "in love", but they are definitely more than just friends with benefits.

Yes, definitely. It's up to you how far you want to take it, though.

John, I can definitely see how you may feel it's somewhat lackluster. The Witcher isn't a game franchise like Mass Effect where it's just so full of awesomeness that almost anyone can enjoy it. It's really a niche game.

Also, since you chose to help the Scoiatel, you should be in for a pretty cool time. I played both and actually enjoyed the Scoiatel quest line more...although my pc died right at the end of the chapter and I haven't reinstalled the game. I haven't finished the game with that direction, but I enjoyed it more the second time around.

So, Santa is in Diablo 3.

The Barbarian sound like he's about to pay tribute at the porcelain altar, and the Monk's is the most genuine.

Last edited by a moderator:
i fakken missed it... give a quick review!

It's... strange but amazing. Instead of having the usual pick up quest and do stuff you instead have a dynamic living world around you instead. None of this forces you to partake in it to continue (besides your story) and things happen here and there so you actually have an active world around you instead of it changing based on what quest you picked up and went and returned. Events and its rewards are direct. It's incredibly easy to lose track of time since it doesn't feel like you're really "in between missions" so you can feel like you can take a break. That and you will scale down in levels when you go to earlier places so you don't just go around smashing up lvl 1 people as something much higher, but keep the challenge there, even though it will be easier for you than for someone of a fitting level for the area.

Combat and movement is entirely different and I really like it. Dodging attacks are a large part of it now so it isn't just two people standing next to eachother wailing numbers until one falls, your success will depend on how well you can avoid enemy damage and how to use what on what. Skills are mostly dependant on what weapon(s) you have equipped and what combination.

And WvWvW, the pvp end, had me playing for hours on end losing track of time entirely. You have 3 servers fighting against each other where you cap points, defend castles and stuff like that. It's amazing fun.

As long as you feel you can get into the game somewhat you should have a great time. The beta is still somewhat unpolished but was great to play. It all felt like a breath of fresh air and I'm very eager to play the next BWE/retail when it releases.

so yeah I'm pretty gay for this game

Man, I've been replaying Majoras Mask, it's definitely one of my favorite games of all time.

The way people react to the moon coming closer and closer to crashing, SO many little scenes you could easily miss even with multiple playthroughs, that glorious atmosphere. I'd say it's aged better than almost everything in the 64bit and below eras.

It's also pretty scary. Way scarier than Dead Space or any of those "horror" games this generation. (except Amnesia)

Yeah I didn't make the Kayran trap, I realize now. Still fukken lame, and it doesn't excuse the wrong keys flashing if you've remapped. It's immensely frustrating getting an instant game over because you follow the directions the game gives you and having to start over. So yeah, I should've built the trap, but the fight's still no fun at all.

And the trap excuse doesn't count for the boss fight against Letho. What the fuck? He blocks every attack, Quens as soon as he has even one second (which conveniently staggers you if you try to break it), and spams Aard and Igni, switching between signs faster than any human could. He takes off 25% health with every attack and has unlimited vigor. Trapping him with the Yrden didn't help much, Aard simply knocks him back for a short moment, Igni can't break through his Quen, and if you put a Quen up, he'll just hack through it before you finished the animation. Bullshit.

I'm loving the game, but combat on Normal is either an easy yawn-inducing clickfest, or an exercise in desk-forehead-bashing as Geralt simply staggers around until his HP is depleted.