Gaming Thread

I hate trailers with no gameplay footage.

What I think about Dark Souls on PC:

I hate to do this, since it means admitting I've blown €40 on a piece of crap, and know this game has been eagerly anticipated on PC, but it's one of the worst, most scandalously lazy console ports I've ever seen. The resolution is TERRIBLE, and the button scheme is laughably complicated, even with an Xbox-compatible controller. Using keyboard+mouse is completely out of the question. Worst of all, your character moves like a walrus with congenital brain damage: sluggishly, with frustratingly poor response times, and drooling like an idiot. Stay away from this game.

Sounds like Dead Space.

I hate trailers with no gameplay footage.

What I think about Dark Souls on PC:

I hate to do this, since it means admitting I've blown €40 on a piece of crap, and know this game has been eagerly anticipated on PC, but it's one of the worst, most scandalously lazy console ports I've ever seen. The resolution is TERRIBLE, and the button scheme is laughably complicated, even with an Xbox-compatible controller. Using keyboard+mouse is completely out of the question. Worst of all, your character moves like a walrus with congenital brain damage: sluggishly, with frustratingly poor response times, and drooling like an idiot. Stay away from this game.

So, aside from the resolution; have you even played either of the Souls games in their console forms? Did they change the controls or something compared to the originals? They were kind of "funky", but nothing that took over an hour to adjust to before it was fluid. I haven't played the PC version, so I don't know if they are really that different and if it's simply not the game for you. The first game was totally worth the price of a PS3 to me.

God damn it, I think the new SMT is going to be on 3DS. The DS Devil Survivors were amazing but there is no way I can justify buying another handheld.

When I was in first grade I called them "Handhells", I thought that's what it was called.

So, aside from the resolution; have you even played either of the Souls games in their console forms?
Nope.

Did they change the controls or something compared to the originals? They were kind of "funky", but nothing that took over an hour to adjust to before it was fluid. I haven't played the PC version, so I don't know if they are really that different and if it's simply not the game for you. The first game was totally worth the price of a PS3 to me.
I can't tell you if they've changed anything, but it's definitely not fun to play. Steve played both versions and he's telling people to stay away from the PC version too.

The only thing that I knew about the PC version was that it had framerate issues and that the graphics were not acceptable. Sucks too, because I was so looking forward to an "updated" version. Other than that, do you play many action games? Because neither Souls game is really an "RPG", despite it having that in it's genre tag.

I've had it sitting on my PC for about a month. I played it for an hour and decided that I'd get back to it once I've finished everything else I've been playing. I can tell the narrative will be good at least.

The mouse and keyboard controls in the Prepare to Die edition are a war crime. Losing the gentle acceleration of analog movement would have been bad enough, but the mouse doesn't control the camera so much as wrestle it around on a rubber leash. Meanwhile, the GUI's adaption to the keyboard is just awkward. All told, you could be playing on an emulator. If you don't own a pad but somehow end up with Dark Souls running on your PC, remove the power cable from the back with a barge pole.

But if you do own a pad, and quickly grab this 80Kb fan hotpix, which unlocks the game's resolution from 1024x720
, you'll be able to enjoy the definitive edition of Dark Souls until the Artorias of the Abyss DLC arrives for consoles this winter.

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=127 (fix)

Anyone still in SC2? I'm trying for Gold league before the end of season. I swear this game is a cognitive overload.

I only played Persona 3, and actually got really sick of the "social sim" aspect of it pretty fast. The gameplay of Nocturne doesn't bother me at all, and just feels like any other typical JRPG.

Getting the True Demon Ending with Nocturne was one of the hardest, most frusterating, yet rewarding things I've ever done in a game. Make sure you go for that ending!

I'm also still playing Skyrim. Willing to bet anything the big DLC will be Orsinium. Why? Because they had it sacked and conveniently rebuilt right on the border!

And, Malacaths in game console stats are very high when compared to other Daedric Princes.

Getting the True Demon Ending with Nocturne was one of the hardest, most frusterating, yet rewarding things I've ever done in a game. Make sure you go for that ending!

Heh. I don't know what the actual requirements are for that, but I've been trying to pick all of the most selfish choices possible, and ignoring the pleas of "god" or whatever higher power keeps asking me to stop working for Lucifer.

I can imagine how utterly annoying this game could have been on the console, especially the Kalpas thanks to the save points being non existent there, and when your main character dies, there goes hours of time. Got myself one sick Daisouju though, and now I never run out of mana while exploring and I can debuff/buff/heal like there's no tomorrow.

Demon Souls was similar in that regard, but it was more of an action game that didn't rely on cheap ass RNG insta-kill abilities that kill the protagonist at the start of a battle. Nocturne is one of those games that actually requires you to die a lot, or just get super lucky until you know what every enemy does.