Gaming Thread

Games are not like music to me. I can hear a song and reminisce and it will bring me back to the time I first heard it, but games fail to do that for me. I'll just be disappointed and realize how bad the graphics are and how mundane the game probably really is. We've come so far in such little time with video games that, aside from NES or SNES games, games come and go almost too quickly. The innovation is doubled every year it seems like, and so if you fast forward ten years or so (holy shit, Tenchu came out in like 1998, didn't it? Make that 14 years...I'm fucking old) the game will seem like a total joke. This is why I tend to simply move on with games.

I just move on with games because after beating a single player game, unless I go for some self-imposed challenges, I don't find any value in replaying them if I've already done everything I wanted to do (remember when achievements and trophies were player created?). I want to experience something newer. I get what you're saying about gameplay mechanics and graphics, because I'm similar to an extent, but I'll still play games from the 32 bit era from time to time if I'm bored enough (started replaying Chrono Cross months ago).

Nostalgia plays a pretty big factor in replaying a game though for me. Unlike you, I can remember what it was like when I first played a specific game that blew me away, just like I can remember exactly how I felt when Aeris got impaled in FF7 (even if I felt FF6 was vastly superior). I can remember how it felt playing Tenchu for the first week, and what all of my friends felt about it as well; similarly with the first Resident Evil and especially the sequel. Would I really want to replay most of the games from the Playstation era? Most certainly not, unless they were brought up to date. I would replay the hell out of Tenchu if it was on the PS3 or 360, but with Ninja Gaiden like graphics, and a camera that doesn't constantly shit all over itself, nor all of the collision problems the game had. Still, when it was on a "modern" system, it was one of those games that was simply unlike anything else.

Your thoughts about systems in the future is kind of ironic too. While I'm currently playing Human Revolution again, I keep having this mixed sense that the graphics are pretty bland in many areas and that I feel like I'm playing something from 2003. I love the aesthetics of the game, but sometimes the graphics give me a strange sense of outdated deja vu. But then I realize that even if the game looked photorealistic, it wouldn't really add too much more if everything else remained the same.

I think everyone probably has a threshold of what they find acceptable and what they are willing to put up with. I think for me, the line is drawn with the Wii/PS2. I'd replay many PS2 games no problem, but it doesn't hurt that they can be played on the PC with enhanced resolutions either. The Wii on the other hand still annoys me. It's nothing but a Gamecube with motion controls and the graphics are really not acceptable except with a few games. Gameplay trumps graphics, but sometimes you can't help but get pissed and realize just how much better a game would be on one of the bigger systems--Xenoblade Chronicles.

On the other hand, think about how many games have been released on the PS3 and 360. Think about how many of them are either clones or nothing but graphics. How many games have been released this generation that you could honestly call a classic? The "current" generation may have had two big gun systems instead of more of a stepped hierarchy, but it just seems like the PS2, PS1 and even SNES had more memorable games and more true classics. Maybe I'm just jaded and burnt out on having played so many, but I only buy the games that I think will be worth having, and rent everything else. Out of all of the games I've purchased since 2006, I'm not sure I could claim more than ten of them were worth it. Everything else is or was rental, download territory or forgettable. Hell, I just finished replaying all of the Baldur's Gate games not too long ago and couldn't help but feel once again that Dragon Age: Origins was totally overrated and didn't offer much of anything new aside from an okay narrative and some stellar voice acting. Despite the claims of "tactics" innovations, it was exactly the same as every other game that had been done on the Infinity Engine gameplay wise. The tactics system barely worked, and everything had to be done manually anyway. What's left? Graphics.

Sorry but it's impossible to be 65-75% through with HR and have 'literally every upgrade'.

Sorry, let me rephrase it so that it's not "technically" incorrect. I was 65% - 75% through the game and had literally every upgrade that had any worth at all and had more uses than just a single scenario. Don't act like there's no filler augments, because everyone knows there are. These are what I didn't have and didn't need once yet. Everything else was filled out. Stupid to even bother arguing about this too. Why the hell would I randomly lie about what I had when I stopped playing? And according the the faqs, my estimate was accurate on how far I was. Doing mostly takedowns and getting Ghost/Smooth Operator for every mission that allows it and hacking everything, even when you have the codes will give you a surplus of XP.

Last Known Indicator
Mark and Track 0/3
Radar 1/2
Hacking Analyze 0/2
Hacking Fortify 1/3
Hacking Stealth 0/3
Rebreather 0/3
Typhoon 0/2
Cybernetic Arm 4/8
Cybernetic Leg 3/5
Retinal Prosthesis 2/3
Dermal Armor 3/4
Bought two additional batteries and the first recharge upgrade.

NOTHING else was meaningful up to this point. Everything that's left is just for convenience, or super situational. I stopped right after you're dropped off into that big office building that's completely abandoned. You enter one of the rooms and a cutscene starts with some female. Game crashed and I didn't feel like replaying that section again, then I just stopped altogether. I never faced Yelena yet.

DE:HR's graphics were actually quite bland looking, as you said. That was one of the biggest problems people had with it, that it looked outdated. Still fun because it's Deus Ex, but not as fun as the first.

And it's very true that most of the abilities were just a big bunch of wank. I also hate the fact that you still have to turn on the ability to soften your footsteps' sound, even after you've leveled that tier all the way up. This is another reason why the first one was great; you had an incentive to follow a certain path because at the end you had amazing abilities that were on all the time and you could simply turn on the ones like stealth at your leisure.

holy shit dude. you seriously need to calm down.

Eh, I just don't like being "called out" on something as though it was fabricated. I'm sure I could have avoided all of this by simply saying "literally all of the worthwhile upgrades". I just assumed that it was implied and understood. So I guess it's my bad.

DE:HR's graphics were actually quite bland looking, as you said. That was one of the biggest problems people had with it, that it looked outdated. Still fun because it's Deus Ex, but not as fun as the first.

I never really understood what the complaints were about at first. I think I was spending so much time taking the aesthetics in that any texture shortcomings didn't really bother me. Plus, it was just another console port on the PC, and most of them tend to look pretty similar to the consoles (which have a capability limit). The PC version has DirX11 and some other features that the consoles don't, but they should have gone the extra step and included better textures. I don't really notice it that much though except in really tight corridors, especially the hotels or apartments. The open areas tend to look a lot better. Maybe they just felt those areas were a higher priority.

John, I'm thinking about replaying Red Dead Redemption again. I'm craving a good story lately, just like you, and it doesn't get any better than that. What an amazing game.

No other game has moved me like RDR...not Mass Effect, not KOTOR, not any DnD-type game...nothing else. It's strange because usually open-world games are a lot of fun but are a bit short on the story, but with RDR it was chock-full of both...and the story was one of the best ever told in gaming history, imo.

Get a load of the video from the CryTek 3 engine. This is sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWvgETOo5ek

tech demos like that make me excited but also bummed. excited because the advances in game technology are coming about so rapidly, but bummed because consoles hold everything back. if crytek were only developing for pc i'm sure we'd be much farther along now. luckily id, bethesda, crytek and cd projekt red haven't completely abandoned pc so we still have some great stuff, but i cannot wait for the day when the tech is so good game designers are free to create any vision with full photo realistic graphics with no hindrances. a game like deus ex with photorealistic graphics but with an artistic touch? ohhhh man that'd be amazing. games can still be great without great graphics, but just adding the tool of real life graphics that run well on almost any machine will be flat out awesome.

also Dawnguard is the shit and reminds me how much DLC can be cool if its actually done like an expansion pack. Sure it has flaws but the content really does feel fleshed out and integrated instead of just some reskins and a couple bullshit quests. I'm doing the vampire story first and then i'll go back and do the other story but even now doing added side quests and other stuff (along with a couple things in the main world) there's just so much new shit to do. Of course its not as extensive and awesome as Shivering Isles, though it doesn't seem like any dlc from any game is going to come out that'll add that level of depth and new area/content (shivering isles also had the advantage of creating a new free roam area added on to the world where they could add all sorts of characters whereas dawnguard doesn't have as much freedom).

tech demos like that make me excited but also bummed. excited because the advances in game technology are coming about so rapidly, but bummed because consoles hold everything back. if crytek were only developing for pc i'm sure we'd be much farther along now.

Consoles are where the money is. As a business, there's absolutely zero incentive to be PC exclusive anymore. Yes, it sucks for gamers with good gaming PCs, but that's the world we live in. At least Crytek isn't doing just console ports though.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Crys...onsole-Game-Has-Done-Crytek-Says-266639.shtml

It's always a continuous evolution on our engine. We delivered DX11 for Crysis 2 and we've continued evolving that. Our next-generation PC stuff looks great. We are showing some of that, so we're really pushing the boundaries on PC. PC is our next-generation and we'll keep going with that.

Whether or not it's truly "boundary pushing" on the PC remains to be seen, but there's no reason why they couldn't be doing a CD Projekt here, and the original Crysis was PC only anyway. They already know that the game will sell millions, and if they add the extra touches to the PC that most don't bother with, it will sell even more. Also, keep in mind that the new consoles are going to be out either by the end of next year or the beginning of 2014. So at least by then we will actually be able to play "modern" (more or less) games again for at least a few years compared to what we have now. Which isn't terrible, it's just becoming dated. Remember when Oblivion came out, most people did not have PCs that could run it smoothly at max settings anyway, and most were having to run it around 360 graphical levels for smooth gameplay.

No other game has moved me like RDR...not Mass Effect, not KOTOR, not any DnD-type game...nothing else. It's strange because usually open-world games are a lot of fun but are a bit short on the story, but with RDR it was chock-full of both...and the story was one of the best ever told in gaming history, imo.

I might have to revisit the game some day. I know you as well as a few others here gushed over it, and the critics went gaga over it too, but it really came off like the "GTA with horses" moniker people were tossing around. And GTA games bore me to tears after a few hours. I played RDR for maybe three hours and then had to quit, because it really felt like I was just playing a game that used the exact same clunky mechanics as GTA. Maybe the game opens up later, but I didn't wait.

I haven't played it yet, but a lot of people are in love with The Last Story right now. Too bad it's on the Wii again.

Zenimax trademarked Hearth Fire. I think the next Skyrim dlc will involve Malacath and maybe take place in Orsinium. I'd like to explain but again, im typing on a phone.

how are people having a hard time finding/getting a list of good current gen games, there's loads of them

That's all according to what a person believes is good. If I never saw the original trilogy, I might think the prequels were "good". Wait, nevermind. Even that's a stretch.
Regardless, I never said this generation didn't have good games (a few of my favorites are from this gen). It just seems like there's been a huge drop in quality and innovation and it's mostly a bunch of cloning and a focus on graphics.