gareth says hi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to think that people deserved it when I went off - the biggest ones that come to mind were people who mouthed off at established professionals to feel better about blowing oodles of money on useless shit or treated people poorly after begging for help they didn't want in the first place - and "YOU ARE ALL THAT HAS RUINED THE RIFFZORZ!" is incredibly far from that. I've also stopped doing that because it got past the point where I thought it was even remotely helpful.

The important thing is that (at least from what's been shown here) he's moving on and figuring out why things turned to shit. Maturity has nothing to do with avoiding mistakes and everything to do with making and learning from them - as someone whose progress in life is due solely to the ability to make mistakes with breathtaking efficiency, that's how I'd like to see the bullshit drama that just unfolded. If he's learning from it... great. Done. The mess from last week's shitflinging has been largely cleaned up, and I doubt anyone is losing sleep over it... learn, move on, grow up, and play nicely.

Jeff

Bring it on home baby

I really don't have anything against Gareth, but for him to go off on Joey like that was uncalled for and rude. In fact, it could be considered defamation. Joey is a well known producer and making a ton more money that Gareth will likely ever see, and for Gareth to start talking about a PROFESSIONAL's techniques is one thing, but the random insults? That's just ridiculous.

Also, to the guys saying there are personal issues in his life....maybe he should have addressed them first, instead of taking his rage to the internet.

TL;DR:

I love the guy...hes a great guy, and has awesome advice...but there's NO valid excuse to do that kind of stuff. If he continues, he shouldn't be allowed back at all. It ruins the forum for everyone, and makes people like Joey, who have awesome experience and advice and are willing to share that kind of thing, as well as the time to come on and post, want to leave the forum and not post anymore, which in turn is a HUGE loss for everyone.

Thanks for saying absolutely nothing that hasn't been said already, and continuing to beat this dead horse. Also, who are you? :loco:

I dunno, some pros here can sometimes be arrogant too, not wanting to name anyone (contributing to the hostile atmosphere), I think Gareth went pretty far but I dunno, in my head it makes sense and in yours it probably won't, but that's the way he is.

We just gotta take things with a grain of salt.

I'm with you. I thought he said exactly what I was thinking. Yeah, I know everyone's gonna take the moral high ground etc. Maybe I don't really care cuz I've kinda taken shots at Joey in the past (you'll have to dig for that one Lasse!)
With regards to "Joey's valuable tips", I'm sorry, but I gotta call bullshit. The main tips I see are in regards to his POD tones and he won't shut up lately about PTHD and everything in between - just buy the fuckin thing!
People need to stop taking life so seriously.

Wait... complaining about advice given out for free by an established professional? Even if you don't follow it as some divine command, 'calling bullshit' is inappropriate - it's something that might work, nothing gets damaged in the process, and if you don't like it the worst you've lost is a few seconds' time... but turning around and thrashing something given to you *for free by a total stranger just because he wanted to help* is the very definition of asshattery.

Disagree, agree, whatever... but biting the hand that feeds and bitching about indigestion is exactly the opposite of what made this forum work. Nobody is forcing you to take people's advice, but if you're going to complain about advice that didn't cost you anything in the first place... well, I'm trying to find a way to say 'go fuck yourself with a bagpipe, you're why it's such a pain in the ass to find helpful people' more politely, but I simply can't. This has nothing to do with how much you like Gareth or Joey and everything to do with not being a total cunt with a sense of entitlement - if that's the kind impression you're trying to send, congratulations on breaking my several-month-long spree of playing nicely with others, asshole.

Jeff

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Come on, you guys are talking like it happened between them in real life and you were watching. It's just the fucking internet. I'll never see how people can get so serious about things happened on a message board.

yea i mean, cause joey's career was tooooooooooootally in jeopardy as a result of some bullshit that some 18 y/o spewed out on the sneap forum...

if you don't get how it was uncalled for and not to be tolerated on this forum to trash anyone's work to that degree, no matter their esteem in the industry, no matter their level of skill, no matter whether they work in top studios or out of their bedrooms, or that the prohibition of that behavior should have nothing whatsoever to do with it having any real ability to do any actual harm... well then i just throw my hands up in defeat, Herr Colonel :erk:

fighting is one thing... and it's neither possible nor even desirable to eliminate it from a public discussion forum.... and as long as it doesn't get out of hand, it's not even a big deal if it comes to harsh words.... but simply engaging in a one-sided tirade, unprovoked, against a fellow forum member advances nothing of use whatsoever at all, and tolerating it lowers the bar here far below where i personally am willing to be a part of it.

luckily, Gareth himself seems to understand what he did was wrong even if others here do not. he'll be back soon, and it'll be over. to paraphrase him from another thread on this exact same subject; he neither needs nor wants a champion in this matter, and is a big boy.

I think being a pro gives you permission to be arrogant because they actually know what the fuck they're talking about.

Grow up! In my opinion, Brian Hood is gonna surpass Joey simply due to the fact that he's open to recording real amps and drums. The only pro around here that always seems to be bang on the money is James, and his words can be a tough pill to swallow sometimes, but always true.

Grow up! In my opinion, Brian Hood is gonna surpass Joey simply due to the fact that he's open to recording real amps and drums. The only pro around here that always seems to be bang on the money is James, and his words can be a tough pill to swallow sometimes, but always true.

They're getting paid to do the job, you're not (or not as much? I don't know you), and I think arrogance is often confused with confidence, especially when you're talking through type and not in person

Not to mention they answer the same questions a million times over, I'd get a little lippy too if I had to explain the same shit 50 times

and my post had nothing to do with Joey, so I don't know where you're going with that

They're getting paid to do the job, you're not (or not as much? I don't know you),
You're right, you don't know me, so please try to refrain from making assumptions about me or my income.
and I think arrogance is often confused with confidence, especially when you're talking through type and not in person
According to your previous post, the pros around here have every right to be arrogant. I simply disagree. Opinions are like arseholes...everyone's got one. (wasn't that Gareth's sig? :lol: )
Not to mention they answer the same questions a million times over, I'd get a little lippy too if I had to explain the same shit 50 times
They don't have to. Nobody has to. There's plenty of people here willing to help out (Gareth has always been one of them).
and my post had nothing to do with Joey, so I don't know where you're going with that
Well you mentioned the pros around here and in case you hadn't noticed, most consider Joey a pro and the whole Gareth & Joey thing seems to be quite a popular discussion at the moment...

I fail to see what's so funny.
Take a listen to Brian's work. The quality is on par with Joey at the moment and other Sneapsters have also commented on the similarities between the two.

Then we can agree to disagree, but I think sometimes you have to be arrogant/confident/whatever as that is your position to be so as the engineer, or else you will get walked all over by bands/management/whoever.

I have been working with bands for a good number of years now on a weekly basis, maybe I'm just bitter and tired of the same old bullshit over and over

Status
Not open for further replies.