Genres that have grown stale

^^

well put.

Im a big fan of melodic death, and in flames has been my favorite band for like 8 years now. You must understand, to say u hate melodic death, and/or in flames is the hip thing to do these days. Elitist snobs have to say a band sucks if more than 10 people know about them. Anyway, listen to whatever you enjoy.

As far as this topic goes... thrash metal. Testament needs to finish the new album and save us!

as far as i'm concerned, Damage Done is probably one of the most "stale" album's i've heard. its far too conventional "gotherburg melodic death" zzz zzz, heard it all before, far too many times. whether or not you like new In Flames or Soilwork, they've left that genre which has grown stale itself, for better or worse depending on what you think. i dont care for STYE too much, but I found RTR to be a very innovative and enjoyable album, even with its few flaws. And Natural Born Chaos and Figure Number Five just flat out rule.

5thSeason said:
^^

well put.

Im a big fan of melodic death, and in flames has been my favorite band for like 8 years now. You must understand, to say u hate melodic death, and/or in flames is the hip thing to do these days. Elitist snobs have to say a band sucks if more than 10 people know about them. Anyway, listen to whatever you enjoy.

As far as this topic goes... thrash metal. Testament needs to finish the new album and save us!

Couldn't have said it better myself 5thSeason (cool fucking name by the way)... :headbang:

Thrash is well beyond "stale", it does not exist(nor should it, for that matter). Grind is basically a laughable abomination at this point(not that it ever was good). The american death scene is profoundly lacking. Almost all of the new bands are caricatures of the old NYDM bands.

Melodic death has been doomed since it was defined as "fragmented maiden worship with harsh vocals." The good bands from this subgenre are seldom even known by its so-called fans(Sacramentum, Golem, Eucharist, Necrophobic, Cadaver, etc.) Arghoslent, The Chasm, and Serpens Aeon are notable exceptions.

I tend to look at this differently. Of course, the genres we're discussing are stale/getting stale. You can only milk so much out of a simplistic aesthetic form before there is nothing left but inevitable recombinance. Instead of talking about "bringing back the thrash of the 80s cuz it rox for headbanging", create something better than the thrash of the 80s.

I totally agree with Demiurge on this one, what is needed is a fresh new genre with new ideas, not a rehashing of old ones. I think thats why i have been so impressed by bands like Isis, Neurosis, Pelican, Arcturus, and The Chasm. Each one of these bands defies any genre, they are each creating truly unique music. Its a shame more bands dont try to create, rather than recreate.

Mabye im wrong here but with creating new genres and innovating, the music tends to get more and more complex, which a lot of people find hard to deal with and therefore prefer to go with more simplistic brutal death, grind etc... I dunno, just a random though

Hey sorry people. for some reason I left this on Opera as there was server problem when I wrote it, and I guess it kept reconnecting the message.

I don't buy a lot of the slamming of melodic death metal or thrash metal...I think there are still bands out there making good aggressive music that moves people...there will always be the cornballs who just rehash the same old shit, but you have that in every genre of music...

My 2 cents...

Demiurge said:
The good bands from this subgenre are seldom even known by its so-called fans(Sacramentum, Golem, Eucharist, Necrophobic, Cadaver, etc.)

Yes. Glad you mentioned Cadaver, they deserve tons of attention and praise. Great band!

5thSeason said:
^^

well put.

Yeah, we slag off In Flames and these other so called melodic death bands because they sound so weak and watered down. I've heard most of the popular names in melodic death now like Dark Tranquility, Arch Enemy, In Flames, Soilwork etc.

I have a question, is there any difference between melodic death and Gothenburg or is it the samething?