Albums that have NOT grown on you?

Carcassian said:
OK mate, let me ellucidate.

Morbid Angel - Pre domination - songs were too vague, undirected and a bit boring to be honest. Theres the odd good track, and in terms of influence, I know that theyre very important - however, their music never really hooked me. I prefer the non-David Vincent stuff, and I think that both Formulas and Gateways are amazing albums. I don't like Heretic much though.

Emperor - The big "so what?" of the more accesible black metal albums. Yeah, so they added some parping trumpet samples and warbled on about myths. Their discordant tending to semi-melodic shtick got really tired, really quick. They also couldn't carry a hook in a bucket. I don't like Black Metal much at all, to be honest, and (perhaps tellingly) I would much rather listen to Cradle of Filth from the same period than to Emperor. They have a good tune or two, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. I find them rather dull.

Darkthrone - If I wanted to hear a punk band record in a tin shed next to my house, while someone shrieks rather banal lyrics over the top, I'm sure I could arrange it. Shit production is shit production, necro or not. Punk riffs are punk riffs, not grim tr00ness. I'm rather fond of Darkthrone in their interviews, and I almost get the impression that they are laughing along at everyone buying their half-baked nonsense. Whether in pseudo punk mode or Celtic Frost loving mode, I find them equally yawnsome.

:cry:

Here's my confession:

Obituary's Slowly We Rot and Cause of Death!

Am I the only one who just can't get into this stuff? Very simplistic riffs which were done far better in thrash, predictable song structures, just kind of monotonous. I like the odd track like Slowly We Rot and Chopped in Half, but what's the big deal with this band?

I think their sound was done better by someone like Dismember. I can appreciate that they were pioneering a new approach, I just don't find them very exciting.

I've tried and tried to get into those albums (especially Cause of Death, for the single reason that it has one of the most killer covers in metal!) but it still doesn't really click.

There's a lot of hate for Obituary, but I love the band. And if it's good enough for ANUS (Cause of Death is ranked as the 9th best Death Metal album ever there), it's good enough for me. ;)

Cryptopsy - I like the occasional tune, but I have never been able to listen to a full album. Its been a while though, maybe I should give it a shot.

Immolation - Just doesn't do it for me, even "Close to a World Beyond" which a lot of people seem to love on here. I tried.

Newer Ulver - I like that song they had a video for, but most of it just doesn't do a thing for me. Older stuff on the other hand, I love.

Hammer of Might said:
Here's my confession:

Obituary's Slowly We Rot and Cause of Death!

Am I the only one who just can't get into this stuff? Very simplistic riffs which were done far better in thrash, predictable song structures, just kind of monotonous. I like the odd track like Slowly We Rot and Chopped in Half, but what's the big deal with this band?

I think their sound was done better by someone like Dismember. I can appreciate that they were pioneering a new approach, I just don't find them very exciting.

I've tried and tried to get into those albums (especially Cause of Death, for the single reason that it has one of the most killer covers in metal!) but it still doesn't really click.

I haven't heard much, but I really dislike the vocals. I respect this band though.

Obituary's vocals are some of my favourite in Death Metal, a lot of people seem to dislike them though, which is understandable, he does sound retarded occasionally. (please nobody make the obvious jokes regarding his name)

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I love Obituary's vocals. At least they sound unique compared to 1,000,000 other death metal bands.

:kickass:

WTF, Tardy's vocals are more polarizing than Attila Csihar's.

Killbot said:
Obituary's vocals are some of my favourite in Death Metal, a lot of people seem to dislike them though, which is understandable, he does sound retarded occasionally. (please nobody make the obvious jokes regarding his name)
Aww, you big spoily spoiler. I was preparing something witty and cutting. :(

goddamn, this thread might as well be called The Admit You're Fucking Gay Thread.

that being said, like most "black metal" released these days, I find everyone's favorite The Work that Transforms God and Si Monumentum Requires Circumspice to be the most overrated pieces of shit released this side of Rust in Peace. I'm still trying though, but this stuff has been done better in the days of yore.

Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion
Gorguts - The first 2 albums

They seem to be giving me the most trouble right now. I want to like them a lot but I'm not totally into them just yet.

Morningrise clicked pretty quickly with me... maybe not the whole album, but the majority of it. I think it was the first one I bought. Orchid took a looooong time to fully appreciate... I still think theres a lot of pointless riffs on that one, but overall its awesome... thinking about it, I might like Orchid better than Morningrise actually... even if just for "The Twlight is my Robe" and "Forest of October"...

I've never gotten into Gorguts either.
Personally I don't like the vocals at all, the sound just doesn't fit for me.

I hate to say this, but I have come to realize that Evoken - Antithesis of Light has not grown on me. I find extremely slow dissonant/atonal music very hard to listen to. I like my doom metal slow and death metal-ish, but melodic.