Albums that have aged well/poorly

It's funny how you guys have chosen the weakest songs on that album to represent the whole. It still has solid tunes such as Battery, Disposable Heroes, Orion and Damage, Inc. That said, it is all too true that Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning sounds a lot better these days.

It's funny how you guys have chosen the weakest songs on that album to represent the whole. It still has solid tunes such as Battery, Disposable Heroes, Orion and Damage, Inc. That said, it is all too true that Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning sounds a lot better these days.

"Disposable Heroes" was one of the songs under discussion, genius.

"Leper Messiah" was written in response to a renewed debate about reinstating the draft as part of Reagan's Cold War buildup. It makes sense in the context of its time (which also included universal conscription among most NATO allies), but it simply isn't relevant in a world where Western militaries are volunteer units.

Yup, I see it now. My mistake.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and we still have the draft up here, by the way. :erk:

How so? Hard drug addiction effects well under 5% of the general population today. In fact, it's a lot closer to 1%. Abuse rates for virtually all hard drugs have dropped precipitously since the mid-1980s. It's not on the national radar (or the back of every Roadrunner release) anymore, and it's inclusion on Master of Puppets speaks far more to the peculiar moralism of a lot of the more mainstream speed metal of the period than to what is relevant in 2007. This simply isn't a national or international issue at the present time.

And who would that be? The whole structural organization of the evangelical movement has fundamentally changed since the 80s. The national meta-ministries like PTL and Oral Roberts' organization with their massive fundraisers and bread-and-circuses road shows (the issues at the heart of "Leper Messiah") are all but gone from the American landscape (where they hang on is in the black community, which is irrelevant to metalheads, who are overwhelmingly from white or Hispanic backgrounds).

Really I think you are nitpicking here. The themes of drug addiction and of religious frauds and how politicians throw away human lives for their own gain in war are themes that have been around for centuries and will continue to be so. While these specific songs may have been inspired by specific events in the 80's the broader themes themselves are timeless.

Really I think you are nitpicking here. The themes of drug addiction and of religious frauds and how politicians throw away human lives for their own gain in war are themes that have been around for centuries and will continue to be so. While these specific songs may have been inspired by specific events in the 80's the broader themes themselves are timeless.

They CAN be timeless, depending on presentation. Which is why Dr. Strangelove is timeless and On the Beach has passed into obscurity.

Yes because lyrics dealing with drug addiction; false religion and war having NOTHING to do with the modern human condition while lyrics about "Leather, spikes and thrashing all around" deeply resonate with all members of the human species. Are you for fucking real?! :lol:
We're talking about the actual music, not whatever general and vague interpretation you come up with to make it apply more broadly. I, and most metal fans today, live "Whiplash" every time I go to a metal show. How often do you see guys snorting coke of off nightclub toilets these days?

We're talking about the actual music, not whatever general and vague interpretation you come up with to make it apply more broadly. I, and most metal fans today, live "Whiplash" every time I go to a metal show. How often do you see guys snorting coke of off nightclub toilets these days?

You know what you are right after all. I live these words every single night:

We are scanning the scene
in the city tonight
We are looking for you
to start up a fight
There is an evil feeling
in our brains
But it is nothing new
you know it drives us insane

So you're saying that you're not familiar enough with Metallica's catalog to spot an obvious typo and account for it? Then why are you participating in this discussion?

When I first read over, I assumed you had written two paragraphs about that one song, so I skimmed ahead. I admitted to it being my mistake. Get over it, boy.

Very interesting topic, I'm french and I do not understand the issue of many song, just because metaphores are not always transparents. In case of "Master of puppets", I will sleep less stupid tonight :Smokin:

I think that musically, Metallica albums aged poorly, because songs are too long, too repetitive. It was good in the 80th, less in the 90th, but now, songs have to be creative, short and with a quick impact on the listener. :headbang:

So Metallica were good riff writers, but not song writers. It may not be only of their fault, but due to the major's demand in that time.

albums that have aged very well:

Among The Living (anthrax), Speak English Or Die (S.O.D.), Reing In Blood (Slayer), Ceremony of Opposites (Samael), Mandylion (The Gathering), Slaughter Of The Souls (At The Gates), The Angel And The Dark River (My Dying Bride), Individual Thought Patterns (Death), Conspiracy (King Diamond), The Bleeding (Cannibal Corpse), Purpendicular (Deep Purple), Cause For Alarm (Agnostic Front), Unrest (Disrupt), Images and Words (Dream Theater), A Pleasant Shade Of Gray (Fates Warning), Triarchy Of The Lost Lovers (Rotting Christ), Demanufacture (Fear Factory), Cause Of Death (Obituary)...

that have aged poorly???

uh... all nwobhm (but i like this genre), all prog rock albums from 70's (except Demons & Wizards), cuz i hate the 70's production, and some hc bands from finland (but i love it).

Very interesting topic, I'm french and I do not understand the issue of many song, just because metaphores are not always transparents. In case of "Master of puppets", I will sleep less stupid tonight :Smokin:

I think that musically, Metallica albums aged poorly, because songs are too long, too repetitive. It was good in the 80th, less in the 90th, but now, songs have to be creative, short and with a quick impact on the listener. :headbang:

So Metallica were good riff writers, but not song writers. It may not be only of their fault, but due to the major's demand in that time.

this is a fucking terrible post. Songs have to be creative, short and a quick impact on the listener? tell that to varg from burzum or michael from opeth, idiot.