Albums that have aged well/poorly

Slayer - Reign in Blood the album that has aged the worst. Just look at all the Slayer fans, hardly any of them say Reign in Blood is their favorite anymore nowadays.

Album that has aged the best? idk maybe Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Countdown to Extinction

One of the worst metal albums I have ever listened to in my entire life.

A good one: Opeth- Morningrise maybe not as old and what you had in mind but listening to this album, its hard to think it was made in a period where Death Metal was only getting on it's feet. This is the type of stuff you think would have been made today since the maturing of the genre, and the chance of making more drastic steps to progress the genre. But Opeth was pinonerring and taking these steps so much earlier. After all this time, I can listen to this album and have a hard time believing this album came in the mid 90's.

For the same reasons, I can say the same thing for Atheist's Unquestionable Presence and Cynic's Focus. Both albums that sound like they belong more in the present than early 90's

A bad one: Hypocrisy- Pentralia, I actually love Hypocrisy and Pentralia but after listening to a lot of crisper production death metal albums, Pentralia sounds underwhelming with it's muddled sound.

Slayer - Reign in Blood the album that has aged the worst. Just look at all the Slayer fans, hardly any of them say Reign in Blood is their favorite anymore nowadays.

A usual, your oblivious. I could probably muster 100+ fans that still say reign in blood kicks ass. Whats wrong with you? Thats one of thier peak moments!

You should be locked in a room with filled with 10 feet of water and no escape.

This thread gives me a craving for some wine and cheese.

Indeed, the majority of classic black metal albums have aged well, at least for as long as I've owned many of them. Being into metal only about three or four years, I can't be the judge of how well albums more than a decade old have aged, since I wasn't among the first to hear them and own them for as long as they have been out.

Metallica - While Kill 'em All retains a sort of vitality on piss and vinegar alone, most of this band's 'classic' albums are painfully dated, and, in hindsight, were already far behind the cutting edge when they were released. Politics and social commentary may appeal at the moment as 'serious' lyrical fodder, but they lead to instant anachronism. As a result, Slayer will never get old, but Master of Puppets is as much a bygone relic of the 80s as the film career of Michael J. Fox.

Laughable commentary.

Jesus Christ Blue Jay... most Slayer fans would actually say the opposite! What universe are you living in?

A good one: Opeth- Morningrise maybe not as old and what you had in mind but listening to this album, its hard to think it was made in a period where Death Metal was only getting on it's feet. This is the type of stuff you think would have been made today since the maturing of the genre, and the chance of making more drastic steps to progress the genre. But Opeth was pinonerring and taking these steps so much earlier. After all this time, I can listen to this album and have a hard time believing this album came in the mid 90's.

For the same reasons, I can say the same thing for Atheist's Unquestionable Presence and Cynic's Focus. Both albums that sound like they belong more in the present than early 90's

A bad one: Hypocrisy- Pentralia, I actually love Hypocrisy and Pentralia but after listening to a lot of crisper production death metal albums, Pentralia sounds underwhelming with it's muddled sound.
What in the world are you talking about with "a period where Death Metal was only getting on it's feet"? You are way off. Just about everything had been accomplished in the genre by then with the exception of maybe the hyper-fast, technical bands. Even a lot of the techy stuff had been done by then. Ask the people here who are much more into DM than I.

I agree that Morningrise still sounds good, but you need to brush up on your metal history. And Focus probably didn't even sound good to anyone in '93, let alone now. That's a great example of an album that aged poorly.

70's judas priest(it's like old fine wine)
manilla road
twisted sister :>
candlemass
thin lizzy

hasn't aged well

80s era priest...i enjoy it but most of it feels like $9 wine from the giant liqour store.
dark angel - speed for speed sake..
reign in blood(i prefer the older stuff)
sanctuary(usa)

South Of heaven has aged well; when it first came out it was disliked by many slayer fans for its lack of speed as was in Reign of Blood, but since it has worked its way into becoming a timeless classic with an amazingly haunting atmosphere to the album.

Metallica - While Kill 'em All retains a sort of vitality on piss and vinegar alone, most of this band's 'classic' albums are painfully dated, and, in hindsight, were already far behind the cutting edge when they were released. Politics and social commentary may appeal at the moment as 'serious' lyrical fodder, but they lead to instant anachronism. As a result, Slayer will never get old, but Master of Puppets is as much a bygone relic of the 80s as the film career of Michael J. Fox.

metallica's lyrics aren't any different than most thrash bands. I don't see how this means they have painfully dated. Master of puppets is an excellent album and sounds like could have been released today (especially the excellent sound engineering). Very few thrash albums have dated as well as MOP.

The only Metallica album I listen to occasionally(out of nostalgia mainly) is Ride The Lightning. Not particularly amazing, but good nonetheless.

Some classic DM albums that I thought were good at one time didn't age well for me.
Some of these are:
Luciferion-Demonification(The Manifest)- some of the slower, more melody-rich songs on it are good but the production of the frequently blasting drums sucks(it's like being assaulted by a swarm of bees)and the guitar tone isn't that good
Carnage-Dark Collections(meh, monotonous)
Demilich-Nespithe(I just don't like the vibe I get from this album. Its relentless dynamic nature makes feel nauseous)
Disincarnate-Dreams of the Carrion Kind
Funebre-Children of the Scorn(headache-inducing bad production)

The only two Immolation albums that have survived many listens for me are Dawn of Possession and Unholy Cult(the latter is especially great). The rest strike me as just "meh, we play brutal tech death"
Capharnaum-Reality Only Fantasized- unquestionably proficient musicianship with some inspiring moments have led me to believe that this was rather good at one point, but overall it's just "a jump up and about" tech death metal like Necrophagist that tries to incorporate too many tempo changes into 2-3 minutes songs. Overblown.

What in the world are you talking about with "a period where Death Metal was only getting on it's feet"? You are way off. Just about everything had been accomplished in the genre by then with the exception of maybe the hyper-fast, technical bands. Even a lot of the techy stuff had been done by then. Ask the people here who are much more into DM than I.

I agree that Morningrise still sounds good, but you need to brush up on your metal history. And Focus probably didn't even sound good to anyone in '93, let alone now. That's a great example of an album that aged poorly.

Perhaps I uses the wrong choice of words, it does seem to be pushing it for an album in 96. I wanted to express that it wasn't like today where you see a million uber prog death metal bands pop up everywhere because they can learn all these genres with the internet. It was probably well developed then but not as developed as it was today, which is what I wanted to point out. and please, if there are bands going Opeth's thing at that time, I would be glad to be enlightened on these bands.

Albums that have aged well: Darkthrone's first 3 albums, they sure did know how to create classic songs back then compared to the bullshit they are releasing currently.

Albums that have aged poorly: Burzum albums, I used to be impressed by those like 10 years ago, now most of them sounds really poor with irritating drums and Varg's voice is one of the most annoying singer ever.... well if you can call that signing.

metallica's lyrics aren't any different than most thrash bands.'

And most speed metal bands (major exceptions: Slayer, Nuclear Assault and early Kreator) sound painfully dated now, trapped forever in a world of Reaganomics, nose candy and rock star pretense.

Master of puppets is an excellent album and sounds like could have been released today (especially the excellent sound engineering).

Leaving aside the excruciatingly mid-80s production (was Lars even allowed to have a bass drum on this album?), there's NOTHING about Master of Puppets that escapes its time period. Cocaine and televangelism? Those are the big problems in the world? In 2007? Uh, where the fuck have you been for the last twenty years? So where, exactly, are all the musical elements one would expect to find in more contemporary metal, you know, ambient percussion techniques, tremolo picking, blast beats, more extreme vocal styles, diatonic and chromatic scales, leads that don't sound like Van Halen? Oh, yeah, they aren't there, because you're full of crap.

Albums that have aged well: Darkthrone's first 3 albums, they sure did know how to create classic songs back then compared to the bullshit they are releasing currently.

Albums that have aged poorly: Burzum albums, I used to be impressed by those like 10 years ago, now most of them sounds really poor with irritating drums and Varg's voice is one of the most annoying singer ever.... well if you can call that signing.
I think that Buruzm's work has aged very well, particularly Det Some Engang Var, Hvist Lyset Tar Oss, and Filosophem.

I think that Buruzm's work has aged very well, particularly Det Some Engang Var, Hvist Lyset Tar Oss, and Filosophem.

Yeah, I really can't see this either. Hvis lyset tar oss in particular remains so advanced that the state of the art still hasn't caught up.