Albums that have aged well/poorly

Anathema-The Silent Enigma still holds up to time for me. Shroud of Frost I could listen to for 100 years and not get tired of it.

Albums that have aged well: Darkthrone's first 3 albums, they sure did know how to create classic songs back then compared to the bullshit they are releasing currently.

By first three do you mean the "Trilogy" or their first three albums, which excludes Transylvanian Hunger.

Hard to not just pick favorite albums by favorite bands, so I'll just throw out:

Accept-Balls to the Wall - Always loved the production on that album, particularly the guitar sound.

Scorpions - Virgin Killers - great guitars and a different rock vibe for the time.

Celtic Frost - To Mega Therion and Into the Pandemonium - mostly because they were so outside of what was available at the time and, for me, they still stand up.

Cheese comes and goes with me, there was a time when I would have said early Anthrax wouldn't have aged well, but I played Fistful of Metal the other night and loved it all over again.

And most speed metal bands (major exceptions: Slayer, Nuclear Assault and early Kreator) sound painfully dated now, trapped forever in a world of Reaganomics, nose candy and rock star pretense.

heathen, megadeth, artillery, coroner. Plenty of excellent thrash bands.

Leaving aside the excruciatingly mid-80s production (was Lars even allowed to have a bass drum on this album?), there's NOTHING about Master of Puppets that escapes its time period. Cocaine and televangelism? Those are the big problems in the world? In 2007? Uh, where the fuck have you been for the last twenty years?

you're an idiot if you think lyrics define a band.

So where, exactly, are all the musical elements one would expect to find in more contemporary metal, you know, ambient percussion techniques, tremolo picking, blast beats, more extreme vocal styles, diatonic and chromatic scales, leads that don't sound like Van Halen? Oh, yeah, they aren't there, because you're full of crap.

nice job mentioning techniques used in extreme metal. Metallica was a speed/thrash band and very few (if any) of those techniques would be found in (contemporary or otherwise) thrash.

Leaving aside the excruciatingly mid-80s production (was Lars even allowed to have a bass drum on this album?), there's NOTHING about Master of Puppets that escapes its time period. Cocaine and televangelism? Those are the big problems in the world? In 2007? Uh, where the fuck have you been for the last twenty years?

Sounds like you've never listened to MoP before

Clearly you folks are too blinded by your Metallica fanboyism to understand his criticisms of 1980s thrash, which certainly are valid. Some Metallica songs transfer better into modern times than others; while "Master Of Puppets" has little relevance to modern man something like "Whiplash" has a simple message that we can all still relate to.

Something with a little bit of both is Suicidal Tendencies' s/t. "Institutionalized" still speaks to the disgruntled and misunderstood youth of today, while "I Shot Regan" (I shot Reagan I shot Sadat / I'm gonna shoot you dead in heaven you'll rot) is sure to leave a few of those kids scratching their heads.

Ride The Lightning holds up better lyrically. Let's be glad that metal of that period wasn't anywhere close to being in as much of a time vacuum than hardcore/crossover bands. Metallica at least used some themes that were a bit more universal. Disposable Heroes is still as relevant today. At least it doesn't fall into the trap of naming any specifics.

Rust in Peace has quite a few Cold War references, and the cover really dates it with its depictions of Bush and Gorbachev. MoP was not as bad an offender as RiP.

Clearly you folks are too blinded by your Metallica fanboyism to understand his criticisms of 1980s thrash, which certainly are valid. Some Metallica songs transfer better into modern times than others; while "Master Of Puppets" has little relevance to modern man something like "Whiplash" has a simple message that we can all still relate to.

Something with a little bit of both is Suicidal Tendencies' s/t. "Institutionalized" still speaks to the disgruntled and misunderstood youth of today, while "I Shot Regan" (I shot Reagan I shot Sadat / I'm gonna shoot you dead in heaven you'll rot) is sure to leave a few of those kids scratching their heads.

who fucking cares about lyrics? the songwriting and execution is excellent...

i really think Carcass' Heartwork has aged really really well. i can listen to it today, and still sounds like something that could have came out a week ago

who fucking cares about lyrics? the songwriting and execution is excellent...
People aren't calling it 'dated' because of the songwriting and execution. How can songwriting and execution be dated? Go back and read the thread slowly, because I don't think you understand the criticisms being put forth. You seem to be stuck on "someone said something negative about classic Metallica, must insult them!!!" mode.

heathen, megadeth

A Cold War relic that left nothing behind in terms of creative genetic material...

artillery

A solid band, but definitely one that holds up more as nostalgia than a record with continuing significance.

Like most of the speed metal that retains an enduring value, this was very much a hybrid band, borrowing heavily from the emerging death metal of its day (and, as a result, this music remains relevant when most of its contemporaries have been forgotten or marginalized).

you're an idiot if you think lyrics define a band.

Music is Concept is Music - you can't separate the two. The fact remains that while Slayer and Kreator were dealing with timeless metaphors, Metallica were engaged in the usual rock star bullshit, highlighting 'contemporary issues' in broadly appealing format as a means of exciting the passions of the moment (and the purchases of impulse). Of course, when the seasons turned and the world changed, it left their catalog little more than dead music for a universe that no longer exists.

nice job mentioning techniques used in extreme metal.

Which is to say, the only varieties of metal that managed to creatively survive the 80s...which is my point. Metallica influenced none of the creatively vital artists that followed, they were an evolutionary dead end that serves only to highlight where the outer fringe of the mainstream fell in the mid 1990s.

Metallica was a speed/thrash band and very few (if any) of those techniques would be found in (contemporary or otherwise) thrash.

Slayer? Kreator? Sepultura? Where the fuck have you been, dumbass?

Yes because lyrics dealing with drug addiction; false religion and war having NOTHING to do with the modern human condition while lyrics about "Leather, spikes and thrashing all around" deeply resonate with all members of the human species. Are you for fucking real?! :lol:

Yes because lyrics dealing with drug addiction; false religion and war having NOTHING to do with the modern human condition while lyrics about "Leather, spikes and thrashing all around" deeply resonate with all members of the human species. Are you for fucking real?! :lol:

He is.

Any man who cannot identify with leather, spikes and general thrashery is devoid of a soul.

Immolation have never released a bad album. They are all good. However, they have also never released an album that ranks in my top 10 death metal albums of all time. They are a consistently good band, who released a debut album of standard, but good old school dm, and then adopted a unique dissonant dm sound that they really haven't changed since.

The songs to which you refer aren't about 'drug addiction, false religion and war' in general, they're about very specific, mid-80s events and issues:

"Master of Puppets" isn't about 'addiction' - it's about COCAINE. You know how many people in 2007 still do nose candy? Lindsay Lohan. There's your list.

"Leper Messiah" isn't about false religion, it's about the PTL/Jim Bakker scandal, it's about as relevant to today's world as country songs about Revenue Men.

"Leper Messiah" was written in response to a renewed debate about reinstating the draft as part of Reagan's Cold War buildup. It makes sense in the context of its time (which also included universal conscription among most NATO allies), but it simply isn't relevant in a world where Western militaries are volunteer units.

I bet you think that "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" is about 'madness' too, don't you?

The songs to which you refer aren't about 'drug addiction, false religion and war' in general, they're about very specific, mid-80s events and issues:

"Master of Puppets" isn't about 'addiction' - it's about COCAINE. You know how many people in 2007 still do nose candy? Lindsay Lohan. There's your list.

"Leper Messiah" isn't about false religion, it's about the PTL/Jim Bakker scandal, it's about as relevant to today's world as country songs about Revenue Men.

"Leper Messiah" was written in response to a renewed debate about reinstating the draft as part of Reagan's Cold War buildup. It makes sense in the context of its time (which also included universal conscription among most NATO allies), but it simply isn't relevant in a world where Western militaries are volunteer units.

I bet you think that "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" is about 'madness' too, don't you?

Jesus Christ.... the song may specifically be about cocaine but the addiction to drugs is a theme which is very relevant. Had the inspiration been Heroin or Meth and the lyrics virtually the same would you say that it is irrelevant? Of course not. So just because cocaine may not be nearly as big as it was then the imagery of drug addiction as portrayed in the song is still relevant even if today's drugs of choice are different.
Even if Leper Messiah was inspired by Jim Bakker there are still plenty of people to these lyrics apply today!
So yeah maybe these songs were inspired by mid-80's events/issues but they touch on themes that are still relevant!

Jesus Christ.... the song may specifically be about cocaine but the addiction to drugs is a theme which is very relevant.

How so? Hard drug addiction effects well under 5% of the general population today. In fact, it's a lot closer to 1%. Abuse rates for virtually all hard drugs have dropped precipitously since the mid-1980s. It's not on the national radar (or the back of every Roadrunner release) anymore, and it's inclusion on Master of Puppets speaks far more to the peculiar moralism of a lot of the more mainstream speed metal of the period than to what is relevant in 2007. This simply isn't a national or international issue at the present time.

Even if Leper Messiah was inspired by Jim Bakker there are still plenty of people to these lyrics apply today!

And who would that be? The whole structural organization of the evangelical movement has fundamentally changed since the 80s. The national meta-ministries like PTL and Oral Roberts' organization with their massive fundraisers and bread-and-circuses road shows (the issues at the heart of "Leper Messiah") are all but gone from the American landscape (where they hang on is in the black community, which is irrelevant to metalheads, who are overwhelmingly from white or Hispanic backgrounds).