Albums that have NOT grown on you?

cookiecutter said:
Opeth - Blackwater Park is another one for me. I listened to this twice, and the only way I could not get bored to tears was to be playing a first person shooter the whole goddamn hour length of the album. Seemed like 1 electric riff and 1 acoustic riff just alternating.

I like all Opeth albums, but you really have to be in a certain mood to enjoy the songs.

For me, it's any black metal album in general. It's like, I really want to hear it, yet when I do, I can't stand it. Then, a while later I try to listen to it again, like it a bit better, but then I get tired of it. I really want to get into it. I'm missing out on so much. :erk:

cookiecutter said:
Opeth - Blackwater Park is another one for me. I listened to this twice, and the only way I could not get bored to tears was to be playing a first person shooter the whole goddamn hour length of the album. Seemed like 1 electric riff and 1 acoustic riff just alternating.

BWP is a rather moody album.

Still Life has more spark and may interest the first-time listener a bit more.

And Opeth is not something to be played in the background. Fans of Opeth consider listening to this band as an activity in itself, much like as Germans consider driving an activity.

I've been listening to Nile - Ahnillation of The Wicked lately, one thing I cannot stand is the vocals, I think the vocals are shitty. As far as everything else, it is great.

Necro Joe said:
I appreciate how the riffs are melodic and slighly epic without sacrificing power and I even like the vocal delivery but nothing about the songs gets my blood pumping, there's something missing that I can't identify and it bugs me.

Sign From the North Side! That one may be their most "blood-pumping" song, gives me a similar sort of feeling as Bolt Thrower. The Lost Name of God and The Pilgrimage were the two that really got me into that album, I recommend paying those some more attention too.

I nominate Vikingligr Veldi as one that I appreciate but have never really *discovered*, at least not yet.

Fucking "Grail's Mysteries" dudes...the beginning thing is probably the most energetic drum pattern Amorphis ever thought up. ACE song.

The first 3 amorphis fullengths and the new one 'eclipse' give me a boner. Amorphis is HOT stuff.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
This is a weird question...

Can we also list albums that clicked upon first listen and thus never really NEEDED to grow?

Anyway:
-most Clandestine Blaze (just generic as fuck)
-Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer (fuck this)
-Disgorge (US)'s new stuff (why; I do not like this band besides the first two LPs, both of which are fucking fantastic, why did they fuck their legacy)
-Bloodbath (if I wanted to listen to Carnage/Grave/Entombed, I would)
-Demigod - Slumber Of Sullen Eyes (OK it's a good album. I like it. I don't get the hype though.)

I dunno.

I don't really mean bands you have on obvious reason for not liking, more albums that you really wished you could enjoy but can't quite connect with.

Terrifyer owns your false bones though.

Emperor- Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk

I do think it's good, and I enjoy it from time to time.. but I can't really think it's anything special.

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Gorguts - Obscura
Immolation - Close to a World Below
Burzum - Filosofem
most power metal albums
the first two Iron Maiden albums
anything by Dio
post-Ozzy Sabbath

and much more

Summoning - Lugburz
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Disembowelment - Transendence into the Pheripheral
Everything by Funeral Mist, Katharsis, Ondskapt, Kriegsmaschine, etc.

Décadent said:
Summoning - Lugburz

For some reason, this one really clicked with me early on, and I've always heavily enjoyed it. I probably like this one more than 95% of people, especially in comparison to the rest of their discography, as I would rank this one among their best.

Life Sucks said:
Gorguts - Obscura
Immolation - Close to a World Below
Burzum - Filosofem
most power metal albums
the first two Iron Maiden albums
anything by Dio
post-Ozzy Sabbath

and much more

Immolation is great but that album is not an easy listening. I can't even really listen to it anymore. The albums is dissonance akward and only seems to get going on a few sections.

Emperor - Entire discography - Objectively, I can cross off a mental tick list of things that are present I should like, but in practice, their stuff just leaves me utterly cold, and not in a BM necro/grim kinda way.

Morbid Angel - Pre DOMINATION - Again, the tick list works, but I don't find the vast majority of their earlier stuff very interesting at all. Ive tried and tried, and indeed, tried, but it just won't "click" into place.

Darkthrone (all) - So, I read the praise heaped on them, resolutely keep trying to spin their discs (some for over a decade, now), and I still can't hear anything that places them in such reverance. Utter boring shit, imo.