Albums that have NOT grown on you?

Necro Joe

Answer the chicken
Mar 14, 2003
Southampton, England
Does anyone have an album that they think they should like for whatever reason but no matter how much time you give it, it just wont click?

I have this problem with Summoning's Dol Guldur as I've mentioned before but recently The Karelian Isthmus by Amorphis has become another seriously frustrating listen. I appreciate how the riffs are melodic and slighly epic without sacrificing power and I even like the vocal delivery but nothing about the songs gets my blood pumping, there's something missing that I can't identify and it bugs me.

Anyone got similar problems with an album?

Dødheimsgard - Kronet til Konge

SHOULD be great, objectively IS great, has killer everything but lacks... Something. It just won't click for some reason and it pisses me off. Those basslines are golden but just no fucking good?? Sounds improbable. Argh now you got me all pissed off.

Opeth - Orchid. I like pretty much every other one of their albums, but I don't listen to this one as much, so it hasn't grown on me. I should try to get into it sometime.

LadyValerie said:
Opeth - Orchid. I like pretty much every other one of their albums, but I don't listen to this one as much, so it hasn't grown on me. I should try to get into it sometime.

I'm still working on Morningrise. Until that one lights up I guess I won't be buying Orchid anytime soon.

This is a weird question...

Can we also list albums that clicked upon first listen and thus never really NEEDED to grow?

Anyway:
-most Clandestine Blaze (just generic as fuck)
-Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer (fuck this)
-Disgorge (US)'s new stuff (why; I do not like this band besides the first two LPs, both of which are fucking fantastic, why did they fuck their legacy)
-Bloodbath (if I wanted to listen to Carnage/Grave/Entombed, I would)
-Demigod - Slumber Of Sullen Eyes (OK it's a good album. I like it. I don't get the hype though.)

I dunno.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
This is a weird question...

Can we also list albums that clicked upon first listen and thus never really NEEDED to grow?

Anyway:
-most Clandestine Blaze (just generic as fuck)
-Pig Destroyer - Terrifyer (fuck this)
-Disgorge (US)'s new stuff (why; I do not like this band besides the first two LPs, both of which are fucking fantastic, why did they fuck their legacy)
-Bloodbath (if I wanted to listen to Carnage/Grave/Entombed, I would)
-Demigod - Slumber Of Sullen Eyes (OK it's a good album. I like it. I don't get the hype though.)

I dunno.
Too many to list in that category

Bloodbath's new one is a good one for me. I loved their first one, and have tried getting into the new one over and over, but to no avail

sadly, I never really got into Atheist - Unquestionable Presence, although it gets so much praise and I can appreciate their talent... kind of annoys me after the first 2 or three songs

Alex78 said:
sadly, I never really got into Atheist - Unquestionable Presence, although it gets so much praise and I can appreciate their talent... kind of annoys me after the first 2 or three songs
I love their jazzy riffs alot but alot of their more typical death/thrash riffs don't appeal to me that much.

Opeth - Blackwater Park is another one for me. I listened to this twice, and the only way I could not get bored to tears was to be playing a first person shooter the whole goddamn hour length of the album. Seemed like 1 electric riff and 1 acoustic riff just alternating.