Genres that have grown stale

Example: old At The Gates is far more melodic than new At the Gates, yet the latter is called 'melodic death metal'. 'Melodic' is confused with 'less heavy' or 'accessable'.

It is stale, yet a few bands push the limits, while most are content to give us another mayhem, helloween, metallica, maiden, slayer etc etc inspried riff with similar vocals, well everything sounds similar these days.

What we need is a metal jam band- lets go back to the 70's and just have musicians create whatever comes to them.

Guardian of Darkness said:
Example: old At The Gates is far more melodic than new At the Gates, yet the latter is called 'melodic death metal'. 'Melodic' is confused with 'less heavy' or 'accessable'.

Gotta agree with this. Melodic death metal really shouldn't be called melodic, because all music is melodic to some extent, otherwise its not music, just random sounds.

I just noticed that this thread isn't restricted to metal genres, so I'll say prog and punk rock.

I personally hate the 'Swedish melo-death' stereotype, because it almost prevents people from describing Arghoslent, etc. as melodic death without getting a slew of people asking if it's similar to Soilwork.

speed said:
It is stale, yet a few bands push the limits, while most are content to give us another mayhem, helloween, metallica, maiden, slayer etc etc inspried riff with similar vocals, well everything sounds similar these days.

What we need is a metal jam band- lets go back to the 70's and just have musicians create whatever comes to them.
Jam bands represent music in its most useless and self-indulgent form.

Sunlapse said:
as far as i'm concerned, Damage Done is probably one of the most "stale" album's i've heard. its far too conventional "gotherburg melodic death" zzz zzz, heard it all before, far too many times. whether or not you like new In Flames or Soilwork, they've left that genre which has grown stale itself, for better or worse depending on what you think. i dont care for STYE too much, but I found RTR to be a very innovative and enjoyable album, even with its few flaws. And Natural Born Chaos and Figure Number Five just flat out rule.
I agree about Damage Done. I was pondering making a topic asking if DT is actually anyone's 'favorite' band. They seem like a stale, boring rip-off of all their peers, yet they cant even come close to making an album as good as Colony, or SOTS etc. They're just a boring, unoriginal band to my ears.

I'd say every genre has had its fair share of struggle in the past 5 or so years, but I would have to say thrash has suffered the most. There are a few decent bands out there but for the most part, thrash is stagnant. Maybe because every single cool riff has already been thought up over the years.

I disagree Demiurge, it is clear highly structured metal has grown very very stale. Thus, even though it may be indulgent, a jam band if not headed by some power metal guitarist, I think would be quite interesting. Free form playing allows a musician a great deal of flexibility and creativity, and that is exactly what is lacking in metal.

speed said:
I disagree Demiurge, it is clear highly structured metal has grown very very stale. Thus, even though it may be indulgent, a jam band if not headed by some power metal guitarist, I think would be quite interesting. Free form playing allows a musician a great deal of flexibility and creativity, and that is exactly what is lacking in metal.

I never said anything, but I'll give you something to disagree with. :p

Is the solution when things become too structured to have no structure at all? I don't think so, jam bands are devoid of artistic merit.

The problem has to do with the nature of the form, not the existence of it. A more complex structure is what is needed,

Sorry I get you and Planetary mixed up at times.

More complex? Maybe it is too complex already? Maybe it needs more emotion, passion, and experimentation. Maybe metal needs to be more natural like black metal. Ive noticed the bands that are overly complex are generally boring, uninspired, absolutely devoid of creativity, hacks. Yet when I listen to Khanate, Burzum, or Isis etc. ( bands I find to be innovative) simplicity and attention to composition is much moe important than complexity and technicality.

As I am thinking about this, maybe composition needs to become more complex, and not in an subtle, non-overt way.

speed said:
Sorry I get you and Planetary mixed up at times.

More complex? Maybe it is too complex already? Maybe it needs more emotion, passion, and experimentation. Maybe metal needs to be more natural like black metal. Ive noticed the bands that are overly complex are generally boring, uninspired, absolutely devoid of creativity, hacks. Yet when I listen to Khanate, Burzum, or Isis etc. ( bands I find to be innovative) simplicity and attention to composition is much moe important than complexity and technicality.

As I am thinking about this, maybe composition needs to become more complex, and not in an subtle, non-overt way.

I was thinking complex in the manner of Beethoven, not Dream Theater.

speed said:
More complex? Maybe it is too complex already? Maybe it needs more emotion, passion, and experimentation.
Some bands have the right idea in this sense. Check out Psycroptic... brutal technical death with heaps of passion.

speed said:
Highly structured metal, you say? I am intrigued... What does it sound like?

I'm trying to imagine Phish or Dave Matthews Band playing metal.

If it were slightly better composed, bands in the vein of Liquid Tension Experiment could work.