Ghost of perdition; up their with their best tracks?

Sep 19, 2005
Belfast
the more i listen to GOP the more interesting it gets, the same with beneath the mire.
GOP is slowly making its way up in tomy fav top 10 opeth tracks:)

i'm not too sure about GOP... it seems the weakest on the album to me - it all sounds a bit samey, the riffs are too similar to other ones off Deliverance and BWP

I would have to say Reverie/Harlequin Forest is the best song on the album...its just got the best balance of brutality and beauty

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion ;)

I don't like such questions because it's always a matter of personal preferences.

For me, it's a very good track but not outstanding. There are some really cool riffs and also great vocals but almost every Opeth track has this, but there are some songs which are a stroke of genius (for example White Cluster, just to name one)

I definitely agree that "Ghost of Perdition" contains some of Opeth's best work. I also agree that "Beneath the Mire" is amazing. Starting at around 2:23, the song really picks up and contains some of Opeth's most beautiful vocal hooks and that guitar harmony/ solo is fucking amazing! Probably one of Opeth's finest moments.

Ghost of Perdition, Beneath the Mire, and Reverie/Harlequin Forest are some of their best songs ever written, I think.

Reverie/Harlequin Forest for me.

Easily in my top 3 Opeth songs. AMAZING

no doubt. GOP really brings back the emotional epic sounding riffs and structures that hearken back to my arms your hearse with a little blackwater park feel to it. the riff before the solo and then the solo is just insanely emotional and awesome. the acoustic interlude is beautiful. easily one of my favorite opeth songs of all time, and a masterpiece.

^ I agree. Ghost of Perdition = :worship: . Surely one of the best songs Opeth has written.

Everyone has their opinion, but I think based on the majority here, most seem to favour Ghost of Perdition. It JUST might be Mike's fave off the album as well, judging by one of his comments in a recent "Metal Maniacs" I bought.

The Baying Of The Hounds is definitely the best track on Ghost Reveries in my opinion. Oooooh, I love the drum part at 4:56 in that song, when he play the ride in upbeat. FAT :worship:

The Baying of the Hounds simply slays live... didn't do too much for me on the record but it has really grown a whole lot after seeing it live three times...

Beneath the Mire is my favourite off of Ghost Reveries at the moment. Great great song. :headbang:

I'm my honest most deep, sincere and heart felt opinion. It's not valid unless it's solely conscientious. In my most authentic most painstaking opinion...without letting you guys know much more honest I brutally am...Ghost of Perdition is awesome, in my honest opinion.

Ghost of Perdition is one of my Top 5 favourite Opeth songs. But The Baying of the Hounds is my #1 favourite Opeth song.

Kirkfjell said:
Beneath the Mire is my favourite off of Ghost Reveries at the moment. Great great song. :headbang:

really? the intro to that song annoys me so much i haven't reali got to the rest of it.. baying of hounds for best track on GR, the link to hiiiigher the second time is so weak on GoP..

fps said:
really? the intro to that song annoys me so much i haven't reali got to the rest of it.. baying of hounds for best track on GR, the link to hiiiigher the second time is so weak on GoP..

The intro does have a strange vibe to it and I understand if some people don't like it... I thought it sounded strange at first aswell but it has really grown on me and the song is now my favourite... give it some time and see what happens...