I gotta do this: BEST song on Ghost Reveries so far....

What's your favourite song so far?

• Ghost of Perdition

Votes: 59 35.8%
  • The Baying of the Hounds

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • Beneath the Mire

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Atonement

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Reverie/Harlequin Forest

Votes: 44 26.7%
  • Hours of Wealth

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • The Grand Conjuration

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Isolation Years

Votes: 6 3.6%

• Total voters
Baying of the Hounds is one track I just keep hitting repeat on....cant really figure out why and dont really care either, its just a great song.The only drawback on that song is it keeps me from listening to GoP and The Grand Conjuration.....

I'm not kidding, but I saw TGC is one of if not the best. His growls on this track seem deeper adn more evil than anywhere else.

My favourite is Reverie/Harlequin forest. Reverie is really really good... I can just so totally relate with writing styles like that. Whenever I write acoustic or ambient parts, I try to create that sort of atmosphere... totally fantastic. Best ambient piece since Madrigal :)

Is it me or are there lots of sections that sound like Dreamtheater? Also the chorus in Isolation Years reminds me of Muse's Sing For Absolution.

Definitely Reverie/Harlequin Forest.. has a Riff that rips off Serenity Painted Death and also a part that sounds like "confession stuck in your mouth, like a woman's labia" .. gotta love that!

turns out its not female's labia. according to the lyrics book: "confession stuck in your mouth, and long gone fevers reappear." :loco:

L0bster said:
It takes time to create all the melodies in a song like "Reverie / Harlequin forest" I think it's definately among their best compositions ever, it's like an adventure for the listener.

I'm with you on this one. It's definitely my fave at the moment.

Ghost of Perdition and Reverie/Harlequin Forest are Opeth classics that strive to the level of the top tracks on even the great Still Life and MAYH. Meanwhile, Isolation years is up there with some of their classic mellow material (which always seems to be better than pretty much all of Damnation - wouldn't you take Credence, Benighted, Harvest, and Isolation Years over that album easily?).

As for the rest of the album:

The Grand Conjuration is kinda weak on it's own, but it is right where in needs to be in the context of the album as a whole. I was disappointed with that song at first, but listening to the entire album makes me enjoy it more.

The Baying of the Hounds and Beneith the Mire are both pretty good insofar as it's Opeth doing classic Opeth stuff but changing it up a bit with the keys. Intellectually, I like them although they're kind of lukewarm at best in evoking any kind of response. In fact, sometimes they fail to hold my attention (in all fairness, sometimes I think I'm ADHD, but I never seem to be able to ignore GoP...).

Hours of Wealth is nice, like the begining of Dirge for November without the boring riffs that followed, but not much else.

Atonement is just kinda weird for Opeth. It's not bad stuff, and good on 'em for trying something different. I can take or leave it, although it does tend to grab my attention again if I wandered off while not paying attention to Beneith the Mire...

1. The Baying of the Hounds
2. Harlequin Forest
3. Ghost of Perdition
4. Atonement
5. Beneath the Mire
6. The Grand Conjuration
7. Hours of Wealth
8. Isolation Years.

GoP is too similar in structure and sound to The Leper Affinity (which is a better song). TBotH is more unique, and the final minutes of that song are so powerful.

Deadlift said:
Now it`s kind of easy to see what people think about the weird mellow songs.

They could of skipped atonement, Hours of wealth and Isolation Years and done 3 songs like Baying of the, Harlequin or ghost perdition style.

Ah, I disagree. I'm voting for Ghost of Perdition, but I think that Hours of Wealth is absolutely gorgeous, one of those songs where the instrumentation is sparse but the emotions it conveys and conjures is lush and textured. That solo just kills me, I've heard solos like it, sure, but for whatever reason the notes bleed and hurt. Beautiful.

And Isolation Years is also a wonderful track. Atonement is very nice as well.

One random thing that bugs me is how a lot of people keep saying that Hours of Wealth, Isolation Years, and Atonement should be on Damnation. The mood of those songs is so diff. from Damnation. All because it's soft doesn't mean it's similar. I mean, I don't see Harvest on Damnation at all, but I think it's closer in melody, mood, and emotion than any of the three soft songs off of Ghost Reveries. Interestingly, I feel that Weakness would fit better on Ghost Reveries than on Damnation, as it is the track that just seems out of place on Damnation, and the mood could be really nice on GR I think.

I wouldnt call Atonement a piece of crap, its a good song with a erie feel to it. I love the vocals on this one and the lyrics are creepy.

"Cleared the fog that was veiled around me and blurred my sights suddenly. i'm no longer aching to honor my plights"

"Rising moon and my skin is peeling past undone suddenly. I can't justify what i had become"

AE*4_ReApEr_4*AE said:
Am i the only person who thinks Atonement is a a piece of crap?

You're not...
This is probably the only song i would skip while listening to an Opeth album.
This song just doesn't grow on me. I think it's a lot lot more cheesy than Hours of Wealth (which i like a lot).