Ghost reveries has FINALLY CLICKED with me...

Goober

Noob
Dec 20, 2004
ever since July (yeah....i got it early, but its ok because i bought it when it came out :D) I listened to it, i liked it, but i felt disapointed in many ways. But after a little more than half a year i put it on and it clicked....the songs i've heard so many times before had given me goosebumps like I had never felt before in my life. This album is truly a work of art. Yeah, i will agree thought that it isnt their best, but its definately one of their better albums. Favorite song would by far be Baying of the hounds. they have an amazing build up from the soft parts and eventually leads into a mindblowing guitar solo. If you hate ghost reveries...take another listen....i think you will be surprised

Yeah, for most opeth songs, it takes about 3 or 4 listens to fully get, but this album took me about 20, and it was well worth the wait

Congrats! For me, it was a first time through "OH MY FREAKIN' GOD!!!" fall in love with the album. It's awesome, and I'm glad you've finally got it.

It took me about a month to get into it. I first thought Opeth finally had made a big mistake. But, then I started loving it. Now it's among my top 3 Opeth albums.

Funny.
Since you mentioned it, it gave GR another spin.
It'd been a long time.

And now, GR is slowly coming together for me too :)
I'm such an easy one to influence.. -,-

I've been listening to lots of GR lately, I think this album might be too good. Also 'Ghost of Perdition' is amazing, this has some of the most elegent and brutal vocals of Opeth's career I think. I agree, this album can take some time to fully appreciate.

Ghost of Perdition is the best thing Opeth have ever written. Still, the rest of the album is nothing compared to everything else they've ever written imo.

Some music is just so overwhelming that it takes awhile to fully appreciate, because it seems like it is on another level.

Some music that i like other than Opeth, that doesnt sound like opeth.

Some of The Church
Some of PJ Harvey
Some of the Flaming Lips
Some Tool

Now, before you start flaming me for my taste in music, just keep in mind that Opeth are the best out of anything.

Just pointing out that sometimes, music, when done on the highest level, take a lot of time and effort to get into and realize just how grand and sublime it really is, to appreciate all the nuances!

Anybody else know what i am trying to say?

daz436 said:
Ghost of Perdition is the best thing Opeth have ever written. Still, the rest of the album is nothing compared to everything else they've ever written imo.
Yeah, completely agreed. GoP is just indescribably amazing.

Yeah I loved it at first as well but I found there was little left to discover after the first handful of listens. Its just not jammed pack with numerous great riffs like SL BWP and MAYH nor does it have the subtleties of MR or Orchid.

When I decide what cd to listen too, Opeth is always an easy choice but I just have no desire to play GR, same goes for Deliverance (to a lesser extent for deliverance though, Wreath and BTPISIO still have playability for me) I feel they've gone stale for me. And trust me its not because of overexposure.

my two cents, but I do now intend to give GR a spin tonight.