Ghost Reveries haters - state your case!

In my player right now, in 3-disc misc...I mean mics...I mean mix...

Ghost Reveries
Deliverance
Watershed

...on shuffle...absolutely mind-blowing...o_O

ha

the megadeth forums are the worst on the internet

WORSHIP MUSTAINE OR BE BANNED

megadeth were over when friedman and menza were booted

What?

Half the forum doesn't even like Megadeth, and never has. And the posters have no problem expressing that sentiment, either. :lol:

It's pretty hard to get banned there. Me thinks you're talking out your ass. It's the biggest and best metal forum around, and that's because there's so much freedom to talk about whatever the fuck you want. The mods are controlling on the On Topic board, but Total Anarchy is anyone's game...

Seeing as GR got me into Opeth, I'm bound to have a strong allegiance to it.
I love Atonement, The Grand Conjuration, Harlequin Forest, and all the rest.

I don't listen to it regularly anymore, as I kept on constant spin for like six months, except for other Opeth albums + a few gems like Catch 33 and AOTW. I grew tired of it eventually, but I still love it though.

Just got W yesterday, haven't really listened to it much yet.

Ghost Reveries would easily be the most perfect of all Opeth albums if TGC would have been slightly shorter. Otherwise I'm totally satisfied, the most proggy Opeth album just after Watershed. Musically richer than the earlier albums.

Ghost Reveries would easily be the most perfect of all Opeth albums if TGC would have been slightly shorter. Otherwise I'm totally satisfied, the most proggy Opeth album just after Watershed. Musically richer than the earlier albums.

Bold statement

Morningrise easily kills both GR and Watershed though.

Ghost of Perdition and Baying are pretty much good enough to make the entire album great on average, even if the rest of the songs would be crap... which they certainly are not.

IMHO. But that's implied in pretty much every single post around here, so...

Ghost of Perdition and Baying of the Hounds are two of the best things Opeth have ever done, and like someone above said, even if the rest of the album was shit (it isn't), it would be worth the price of admission. Anyway, GR I believe is the ultimate culmination of many years of Opeth's hard work, songwriting, and trying to perfect their sound. Yeah it isn't perfect, but none of their records are, deal with it... most albums have some sort of flaw. And shit on Roadrunner all you want, but the production on GR is without a doubt the best of their career.

Because the ending to Reverie/Harlequinn Forest sounds really stupid and really annoying and makes me hate the song altogether, and because The Grand Conjuration was the first I heard of the album and it sounded like typical Roadrunner nu-metal shit stretched out for 10 minutes (yes, it IS better than typical Roadrunner nu-metal shit, it simply reminded me of it, and it's unquestionably Opeth's worst song). Baying of the Hounds is the only song I really like on the album, Ghost is alright but I don't think it stood the test of time.

yes. also, opeth show their influences too clearly. bits sound directly like tool, floyd etc. it's got no real edge or identity of its own as a disc. it lacks the hard, genuinely heavy edge of all the other albs damnation aside. baying of the hounds is great. the rest isn't, the keyboards weren't very well integrated, eg the intro of beneath the mire, which is beyond cheesy. folk influences and twin guitars have finally been completely abandoned for 70s technicolor keys and simple straightahead riffing. there are bits of tracks like When, where you can't believe someone's conceived what's being played. there's nothing like that on GR. the proof is in the pudding- i haven't listened to it all the way through for over 2 years now.

GR is not the kind of music that made opeth special to me. i realise the band may have decided to take a new turn, but i'm not someone to stick around just out of blind loyalty. haven't heard the new one yet, saving it as a treat for after my exam tomorrow. very excited, hope they pull me back in.

Whats so wrong about being an old school fan of Opeth?
GR is nice, but if you put it next to BWP, its like not enought and not too original etc!
Oh, and thats just me, Deliverance and Damnation are the last 2 albums that I REALY love!
GR, and Watershed cant touch me so much.
They don't have something that was the no1 reason for me being an opeth fun, this undefinable atmosphere.
But don't listen to me, maybe I am too stubborn or not good enought for the "new opeth"

i really love ghost reveries, it's what i got inot opeth on, i didn't like deleverance though, except for a few songs, it's pretty mediocre imo
and i don't get what hedon was saying about the alubm desolating? i'm pretty sure as mentioned it's an adjective not a verb, and even if it's not, desolates isn't that great of a verb. i mean, the songs make it a lonely empty place?

Less death metal? it's barely even metal. I consider it a rock album. The only metal riff is the start of Baying and even that could easily be found on a rock album.

How do you define Death metal these days? In the presence of bands like Atheist and Cynic or even Negrophagist, it's impossible to define death metal these days. Of course there are the pioneers, but I don't think there is "real" death metal around these days anymore. There never was.

GR is quality, it's just that when you compare TGC with monsters such as Karma, White Cluster and Blackwater Park it falls short. Still, GR has one of the strongest albums starts (Ghost, Hounds) out of the entire Opeth catalogue.

I have come to consider Opeth less metal than... something else. And I'm fine with it. As Mikael said in an interview, Opeth doesn't want to be "metal", cause there can't be anything really "new" since Judas Priest or Metallica. So I love GR for what it is ; something quite special.

I don't think I've ever loved an album more than this one, actually.

What?

Half the forum doesn't even like Megadeth, and never has. And the posters have no problem expressing that sentiment, either. :lol:

It's pretty hard to get banned there. Me thinks you're talking out your ass. It's the biggest and best metal forum around, and that's because there's so much freedom to talk about whatever the fuck you want. The mods are controlling on the On Topic board, but Total Anarchy is anyone's game...

whats the url?