Ghost Reveries haters - state your case!

If speaking of sheer musical quality and songwrinting, GR is easily their strongest album so far alongside Watershed.

rubbish, listen to ghost of perdition again, it's got several cut and paste sections, like when the tool part comes in and when they go back to the *higher* part the last time. the whole thing is far less organic than their earlier discs.

The ending of Reverie/Harlequin Forest is also a let-down for me. The album picks back up after that though, I think.

While I wonder why so many Opeth fanatic hates GR also, you also have to realize that it all comes down to opinion.

I feel for those people who love TGC...
I feel the same for Dirge for November - a song that seems to get no love from the Opethites out there...

Mendez says he HATES the song - fuck him :)

!! :erk:

One of my favorite parts.

Discussing what songs or parts are crap is pretty futile though, there's always going to be people that disagrees.

Yeah... I just love syncopated bits like Deliverance and the end of Harlequin. In my opinion it's the epitome of songwriting, not simply focussing on melody, but also on rhythm.

I feel the same for Dirge for November - a song that seems to get no love from the Opethites out there...

I loved Dirge For November. The intro gets me every friggin' time.

Dirge is actually one of my favorite Opeth songs.

Its extremely emotional. Its also a lot more straightforward than TGC.

I think it just flows really well.

The ending of Harlequin Forest is perfect! I love it! It grooves!! And it´s not repeated too often!! It´s so hypnotic, and if you listen carefully you can here tiny variations every time the riff is repeated (most obviously drumwise).

The Grand Conjuration is one of the most evil Songs I ever heard. I didn´t like it in the beginning, because i once heard the edited version and when i listened to the whole song, it seemed too protracted in some way. But as I gave it an intense listen a short time ago and also concentrated on the lyrics, it got me. Its evil as fuck. :worship:

Furthermore the production of the album and the diversity are what makes it unique to me.
It was my favorite one till Watershed took it´s place.

Ghost Reveries, Damnation, Watershed, Deliverance are the only opeth albums i listened to. So far my fav. is Ghost Reveries. I think Reverie/Harlequin Forest is my fav. song.

Alright. Here's the deal.

When I first took a break from my Darkthrone records to check Opeth out, Orchid was my first impression. It left a good one, one of black metal brutality infused with some subtle jazz and folk influences. Needless to say I liked it.

SO then I got myself frozen cryogenically and emerged in 2005 to listen to Ghost Reveries and let me tell you they fucking sold out. It's not tr00 at all.

Alright. Here's the deal.

When I first took a break from my Darkthrone records to check Opeth out, Orchid was my first impression. It left a good one, one of black metal brutality infused with some subtle jazz and folk influences. Needless to say I liked it.

SO then I got myself frozen cryogenically and emerged in 2005 to listen to Ghost Reveries and let me tell you they fucking sold out. It's not tr00 at all.

Tell me Illidan, how does Watershed fair in your opinion?

Watershed? Never heard of it.

Darkthrone sell out! What! The- UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(well it's a black metal heart attack so maybe more like "AAAAAAAGHHHHHKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK")

I'm such a kvlt black metal follower that I get all my albums in OBSIDIAN LASERDISC.

Ghost Reveries is for me a dual affair. On the one side, they made some cracking good songs, 'Ghost of Perdition', 'The Baying of the Hounds', 'Harlequin Forest' and 'Beneath the Mire', one good song 'The Grand Conjuration', two gay songs (the ballads), and one shit song 'Atonement'.

It's hard then to express what I feel about this album, because the good songs are better than the bad songs are bad if you know what I mean.