Give me classical music tips

Aye, Pärt is very good. I prefer his instrumental pieces to his choral pieces, though. Tabula Rasa and Lamentate are masterpieces.

Haul #2:
Andres Segovia - Guitar Etudes (various composers)
Shostakovich - Symphony No. 5 in D minor
Balakirev - Symphony No. 1 in C
Sibelius - Symphony No. 6 in D minor + Symphony No. 7 in C major
another recording of Bach - Goldberg Variations

Haven't heard any of this before except for the Bach

Classical music is boring as fuck. Gayest instruments ever. Harpsichord? haha
Jazz owns classical.

Only an idiot wouldn't know that the harpsichord went out in the 1700s, and most classical music from the 1800s and on doesn't have any harpsichord. That idiot also wouldn't know that every single instrument used in jazz is used in classical music. I guess there goes your "gayest instruments ever" argument...

P.s. If you think the harpsichord sucks, listen to Poulenc's concerto for harpsichord.

Bedrich Smetana's "Ma Vlast" owns your feeble asses. My Vlast meaning "My Homeland", the purpose of this symphonic poem in six parts is very plain: to extol the awesomeness of the composer's natal soil, namely Bohemia.

In general I'm not one for fiery nationalist anthems of the romantic era, but this stuff is bursting with moments of delight: dark bombastic business that suddenly recedes and flows into hauntingly beautiful slower parts, capturing a genuine nostalgic feel. Everyone must have heard at least the core movement of the second poem: "La Moldau", which is quite famous (it's actually been ripped off in Israel's nationam anthem).

Along with Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony, this is my favoutire 19th century material. Also it's even more awesome when you consider that Smetana was already struck with total deafness at the time he wrote most of this stuff.

Agreed ^

Also, Bernstein's last recording of Tschaikowsky 6 is the best recording of it evar. I love how much he drags out the last movement to achieve total bleakness and melancholy.

Ok, here's some of what I would like to call "classical music for metal heads" (ie the kind of stuff I prefer), namely the first part of Franz Schubert 9th Symphony: http://download.yousendit.com/4059F5C96981284E

Go ahead and listen those of you who haven't heard it -- it's awesome -- , and for those who have already heard it, I would appreciate some recommendations along the lines of this. There should be a lot of stuff going on, it should be bombastic, lots of intruments and changes in between them, not boring modern disharmonic stuff and not too slow and mellow. Choirs are always good.

Yep Schubert kicks some sweet ass. It's also sort of cool he died aged 31.

Have you tried Smetana spaffe? (see posts above your). For a taste of flaming romanticism with a great use of darkness/light contrasts and post-rock-ish builds, I would also recommend Rachmaninov's symphonic poem "The Isle of the Dead".

Yep Schubert kicks some sweet ass. It's also sort of cool he died aged 31.

Have you tried Smetana spaffe? (see posts above your). For a taste of flaming romanticism with a great use of darkness/light contrasts and post-rock-ish builds, I would also recommend Rachmaninov's symphonic poem "The Isle of the Dead".

Win!

123955_resize.jpg

Will listen to it asap. I bought a whole bunch of these LP boxes ridiculously cheap at a flee market a few years back, but haven't had time to listen to all of them yet.

There wasn't any Rachmaninov among them though, so I'll have to settle for Smetana for the time being. Thanks for the recos!

Oh yes, and all though the choice is hard, I think Smetana's (beard) is the best of the two. I'm partial to the more tidy kind -- Dvorak's moustache is too unkempt.

Btw, have you herard Schubert's Winterreise? It's a collection of Lieder, which admittedly at times are pretty uneven, but most of them are superb. They also suit this season perfectly