GMD Poll: Sepultura's Discography Ranked

14) A-Lex (2009)

R-1852004-1470939482-3034.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 4.4/16

what a laughable album! 3 note open string crappy riffs and aweful singing. I can write an album 10 times better in a week, this band should change the name or quit already.

It's true, A-Lex sucks ass. I got it, listened to it, and was so disappointed that I haven't given it another chance. You know, Dante wasn't that great either, but it seemed like progression to the good direction. It had thrashy bangers like Convicted In Life and Crown And Miter. But A-Lex, it's full of those crappy two-note nu-metal riffs that Kisser has been paying since Roots, and some very weird experimental shit. I think they tried to be unique, and catch the feeling of the Clockwork Orange book, but they failed. The result was a pretty boring album with extremely simple downtuned tribal metal songs with crappy orchestra interludes. The only bangers on the album were Moloko Mesto and The Treatment.

11)The Mediator Between Head and Hands Must Be the Heart (2013)

R-9490963-1481492791-3506.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.9/16

I picked up the new Sepultura record last week and have now listened to it a bunch of times, and I gotta say, it's pretty damn awesome.

My only real complaint, and this will come as no surprise to those who've listened to it, is the production. It's just too muddy, and Derek Greene's vocals are not blended at all well into the mix.

Having said that, the material is awesome, fucking heavy and sounds really inspired. It's different, they're trying new stuff, and the mood of the record is doomy, dark, thrash. Highlights for me are The Vatican, Impending Doom, Grief, and Age of the Athiest.

Killer record, well worth checking out. Interesting to see these guys are now label "mates" with Soulfly, and their new releases have come within a month of one another too......

Hard for me to consider this a Sepultura album without Max and Igor in the band. But that being said I like the music but the production is horrid to the point that it ruins what otherwise is a good album. Not sure how they could listen to it back and think the production was acceptable.

10) Roots (1996)

81CyXq5gB%2BL._AC_SX522_.jpg

Average points per vote: 5.7/10

People actually like Roots that aren't 12 year old white kids living in trailer parks?

Yeah it's almost completely irredeemable. The idea wasn't bad, with the whole native Brazilian thing, but the fact that they so unashamedly changed their style to pander to the Korn kids is a huge insult to their traditional fan base. Only highlight imo is the instrumental track, Jasco (Dictatorshit is ok, but just a shittier version of Biotech is Godzilla).

Saying Roots is horrible is being nice about it tbh.

Roots Bloody Roots is the worst song I have ever heard.

edit: or Ratamahatta

I fucking love Roots. Always loved how even the guitar riffs were completely percussive. Max's incredible vocal delivery on the whole album is one of my all time favorites, so intense.

Most people that complain about Roots started listening to thrash in 2001 and are pissed they only have a handful of Sepultura albums to discover.

Last edited:
9) Dante XXI (2006)

97728495.jpg

Average points per vote: 6.6/16

Never, ever listen to Dante. It is an absolute abomination of music. That is by far the absolute worst album Sepultura has ever released.

Basically from Dante XXI they've been playing traditional sounding metal, it's a shame that all of the people who gave up on them in the late 90's don't give them much of a chance these days cause their last few albums have been fairly solid with lots of instrumentation to boot.

7) Quadra (2020)

R-14762576-1581109719-3501.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 7.9/16

This new Sepultura album is incredibly good and heavy. I've never been into the Derrick stuff, but Quadra simply kicks ass. Kisser outdid himself on this one. And the drummer is a beast. I cannot believe it's 2020 and I'm writing laudable remarks about post-Max Sepultura. Absolute scenes.

6) Chaos A.D. (1993)

R-6158361-1412530100-4297.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 9.7/16

Chaos AD isnt that bad... It's just groove metal.

Chaos AD was very groove oriented and simple as shit. There are almost no riffs. The drumming/percussion is the only thing that holds the album together.

that album was the beginning of their downfall. Still, there are some enjoyable tracks on there.

Chaos AD is basically the transition between Arise and Roots I guess, although it doesn't exactly sound like either. It's also much better than both neighboring albums.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
5) Bestial Devastation (1985 as split, 1990 as EP)

R-2120996-1520592104-1092.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 10.9/16

Bestial Devastation remains the best.

Because it's the kvltest.

Sepultura-Beastial Devestation(1984) more Death Metal than Thrash Metal and had more focus on Death, pain and suffering than Possessed did.

Sepultura's Bestial Devastation by far. No one had that deep growl back in '84...

Yes, because 'that deep growl' is what makes death metal...

4) Morbid Visions (1986)

R-1536504-1519972868-1070.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 12.6/16

First place votes: 1 (@Krow)

I dig Morbid Visions. The musicianship is adequate. The guitars are slightly out of tune, but that honestly just lends it atmosphere. It's not exactly Hell Awaits, but it's solid.

Morbid Visions is about as much a death metal record as Piece of Time. Probably more so tbh.

The answer to the op is Pestilence, btw.

Morbid Visions is horrible. They could barely play. I've heard rehearsal room recordings that were recorded on a crappy tape deck that sound better.

even ROOTS is better according to RYM. most people are too beta for MORBID VISIONS tbh

3) Arise (1991)

R-1737076-1451944647-5487.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 13.1/16

1st place votes: 2 (@alex76 @J.)

I enjoy Chaos AD, but lets get real. Arise was their last good one

Arise is liquid shit.

The title track to Arise has one of my favorite riffs ever.

Arise is a weird choice for a Sepultura album????? What in the world would make you say such a thing??? BNR and Arise are not only two of Sep's best albums, but they are two of the greatest thrash albums ever, and both are metal masterpieces ....

i would have understood you saying Chaos A.D., Roots or any of their new garbage would be a weird choice ..... but Arise??? cmon now man.

1) Schizophrenia (1987)

R-4987904-1381444938-5711.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 14.4/16

First place votes: 6 (@Slammed @zerostatic @Sirjack @crimsonfloyd @TechnicalBarbarity @CiG)

'From the Past Comes to Storms' is the ultimate thrash song.

My favourite of all their albums is Schizophrenia. Don't know why some metallers praise Morbid Visions and Bestial Devastation that much. Their really early work is alright but still fucking tacky compared to Schizophrenia.

Yes I do have Schizophrenia, it is much rawer than BTR and also much less good. But it is still a fun listen occasionally.

When I was young I liked Arise the most but these days I find it boring and I almost only listen to Schizophrenia, that album is god damn perfect. Love the sound.

Reactions: Sirjack and CiG