idk about everyone else but i’m gonna be counting the pentagram comps as eligible.
I reckon release date should be the whole of the law, but most of us don't include compilations on our lists so not like they'd really be competing here. Just kinda takes away points from anything below them on your list, unless I pretend they weren't there and bump that stuff up.

did people select first daze here in the 2001 poll? my memory blows lol. if they did maybe i won’t, just seems weird to have a 70s canon with one of the decade’s most important bands not included

Not that I can see. You decided it was actually released 2001 in the 2002 thread (where one dude listed it), but the trinity of Encyclopaedia Metallum/RYM/Discogs have it as 2002 (except for a test pressing on the latter).

1. Scorpions - Taken By Force
2. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
3. Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
4. Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
5. Scorpions - In Trance
6. Scorpions - Virgin Killer
7. Riot - Narita
8. Judas Priest - Stained Class
9. Budgie - Never Turn Your Back On a Friend
10. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
11. Budgie - In For the Kill
12. Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
13. Dust - Hard Attack
14. Riot - Rock City
15. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
16. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
17. Motörhead - Overkill
18. Legend - Fröm the Fjörds
19. Rainbow - Rising
20. Budgie - Budgie

1. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
2. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
3. Rainbow - Rising
4. Rainbow - Long Live Rock n Roll
5. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
6. Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
7. Scorpions - Taken By Force
8. Black Sabbath - Vol 4
9. Judas Priest - Killing Machine
10. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
11. Flower Travellin' Band - Satori
12. Scorpions - In Trance
13. Motorhead - Overkill
14. Buffalo - Volcanic Rock
15. Dust - Hard Attack

Can't be bothered listing any more, my #15 to #25 would be pretty interchangeable anyway.

My vanilla tastes really show here with only five bands on the list. Only way it possibly stands out is the Rainbow bias. I could list more by the same bands but I'll stick to the fifteen I really care about.
  1. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
  2. Black Sabbath - Vol. 4
  3. Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
  4. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
  5. Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
  6. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
  7. Motorhead - Overkill
  8. Judas Priest - Stained Class
  9. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
  10. Black Sabbath - Sabotage
  11. Rainbow - Rising
  12. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
  13. Budgie - In for the Kill!
  14. Budgie - Budgie
  15. Judas Priest - Sin After Sin

Last edited:
Reactions: Bloopy and CiG
I was convinced the moment I saw the Sabbath albums he chose and also omitted from this one.

i mean he’s consistent in a way i guess: picking never say die over the first 6 sabbath albums and disputing the metalness of motorhead are both things someone who doesn’t know or like actual metal might do. but then i find it hard to believe he listens to all those thrash bands (many of them heavily inspired by motorhead)

Reactions: CiG
i find it hard to believe he listens to all those thrash bands (many of them heavily inspired by motorhead)
So what? Here is another example. Manowar! Although Manowar is not thrash metal, but true heavy metal. However, they always said that they were inspired by classical music and in particular by Richard Wagner. Probably Wagner is a true metalhead.