bit of a difference between manowar citing wagner as an influence and i.e. razor, whom i recall you having in your top ten, sounding like a dirtier version of motorhead half the time. shouldn't evil invaders be on your punk list?

Reactions: CiG
If you consider it to be metal, then it is a shame of metal. The vocal is drunk and smoky, the sound is dirty. For punk rock, this is just right. But this is not metal.
If you paid attention to the consensus across the wider internet, you'd see it's pointless to bring your argument to this thread specifically. This poll isn't even for bona fide 'metal' exclusively. I had no complaints about you listing albums from 3 bands excluded from Encyclopaedia Metallum's database (for having no releases deemed metal enough). Maybe start your own thread on The Goodman Hypothesis That 90% of the World's Metalheads Are Wrong. :D

it’s one thing if you wanna apply the same logic people sometimes apply to sabbath’s debut and say it’s too dependent on blues to be metal or something, but to say it can’t be metal because it’s ‘drunk’ and ‘dirty’ with ‘smoky vocals’ flies in the face of decades of established tradition tbh. there’s absolutely tons of stuff that’s unambiguously metal and has those qualities.

it’s one thing if you wanna apply the same logic people sometimes apply to sabbath’s debut and say it’s too dependent on blues to be metal or something, but to say it can’t be metal because it’s ‘drunk’ and ‘dirty’ with ‘smoky vocals’ flies in the face of decades of established tradition tbh. there’s absolutely tons of stuff that’s unambiguously metal and has those qualities.

The usual complaint would be 'it's too clean and sober' to be metal, rather than 'it's too dirty and drunk"

It'd be interesting to see which band guitarist Dave Carlo names first as an influence in interviews then wouldn't it...

who.jpg

Goodman.gif
3UNHACF.gif

Reactions: CiG
Okay, let's put the emotions aside. Only those who have nothing to object to insult the opponent. On this topic.

1. That time Lemmy Kilmister told me that Motörhead always had more in common with punk than metal

2. Lemmy was from Hawkwind who could be considered a proto-punk band and was briefly in a version of the Damned (the Doomed). Original Motorhead guitarist Larry Wallis was in the Pink Fairies (kind of like a British MC5 a proto-punk group) and worked for Stiff Records. Original Drummer Lucas Fox played in punk bands.

they really weren't from a Metal scene, but that weird world of pre-punk hi-energy rock. Lemmy could be considered to be in the same category as Iggy Pop as far as someone who was an influence on punk and later a participant in it

Also I read some of Lemmy's late interviews. He never said that he plays metal. He always said he plays rock and roll.

Also I read some of Lemmy's late interviews. He never said that he plays metal. He always said he plays rock and roll.
I suggest you take your argument to my other thread where that exact thing was already brought up:
https://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/threads/metal-albums-of-the-1970s.1735182/#post-12219889

If UK82 had happened 3 years earlier, we could be listing a whole bunch of metallic punk albums in this thread. Motörhead is heavy enough to fit here regardless of what label you do or don't wanna put on them, so move on.

Also, there's always some bands here made up of punks, mostly playing live shows with their punk mates, but playing music that's categorised as metal more than anything else - usually sludge, but occasionally also death metal or something else. What scene they came from doesn't matter.

Calling your band metal or not metal doesn't mean shit compared to what the band actually sounds like. This thing where people quote the musicians to prove the genre of music they play(ed) is retarded as fuck.

From now on let's just refer to Metal Archives on the metal worthiness of bands. If that bunch fuckwits with all their stupid dick swinging call a band metal then that has to remove all doubt. :p

Reactions: zerostatic
Attempting to tag any potential 70s fiends who participated in some of the non-metal polls, just in case you're oblivious maximus to this thread. No hurry though, won't close this for ages yet.

@Bourbon @Burkhard @dwellerINTHEdark @Einherjar86 @Krow @Master_Yoda77 @Oblivious Maximus @Serjeant Grumbles @Sophii @Sirjack @Vegard Pompey @zabu of nΩd
Sorry, but there's nothing for me to contribute to this topic. Way back in the 70ies, I only really liked Abba and Elvis Presley. And when I finally got into Metal in 1984, it was more or less Thrash Metal all the way (with some exceptions here and there). This doesn't mean I dislike what I've heard from the 70ies later on, but my musical taste goes in other directions.

1. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
2. Budgie - Never Turn Your Back on a Friend
3. Budgie - Budgie
4. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
5. Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla
6. Night Sun - Mournin'
7. Bodkin - Bodkin
8. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
9. Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
10. Budgie - Bandolier
11. Bow Wow - Signal Fire
12. Budgie - In for the Kill!
13. Lucifer's Friend - Lucifer's Friend
14. Flower Travellin' Band - Satori
15. Motörhead - Overkill
ln5NZ2K.gif

16. Judas Priest - Killing Machine
17. Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
18. Black Sabbath - Vol 4
19. Budgie - Squawk
20. Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come

Honourable mentions:
Deep Purple - Machine Head
Bang - Bang
Flower Travellin' Band - Made in Japan
Black Sabbath - Sabotage
Motörhead - Bomber
Deep Purple - Deep Purple in Rock
Money - First Investment
Bow Wow - Charge
Tiger B. Smith - Tiger Rock

Will aim to tally this up after 1 or 2 more lists, and not before I get sinus surgery next week.

Last edited: