GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1984

I'm enjoying going through all these albums this year. So far I've come to the following conclusions:

-Powerslave may be Iron Maiden's best record
-Saint Vitus S/T is fantastic. I was never on-board with the Saint Vitus worship on these forums, but I can safely say this album kicks Die Healing in the ass.
-King of the Dead was kind of wack. I gave it three full listens because there is definitely something there, but those fucking vocals..ma gawd. This is coming from someone who enjoys the vocals on Nespithe by the way.

panzer are objectively the most metal band in known human history and make dio, manowar and omen look like a gaggle of hairless wrist-slapping squat-thrusting sissies.

giphy.gif

Whatever those five songs are (I'd say 2-3 reach greatness), none of them touch a song like Bridge of Death, and putting aside Black Arrow, the weakest song on Hail to England is still kickass. Battle Cry has a slight homogeneity and filler issue, which is why it's #16 in my list, but even there I'd say Last Rites and In the Arena are as spirited and glorious as anything in the Cirith Ungol discography (not even mentioning that they're simply better).

Ample Destruction, great as it can get, is still at least half-comprised of 6~7/10 tracks. If it wasn't for The Crucifix and Symphony of Terror carrying the USPM flag proudly, you wouldn't even have to think before putting it way below a stylistically comparable album like the Metal Church S/T.

HEY let's autism this one out

that run from 'generally hostile' through 'cardiac arrest' is obviously a little clunkier than the rest but still insanely powerful and spirited and exhilarating - at worst a strong 7 ('the watching' would prob be my pick as weakest) but generally 8/10 level - while the other five are 9-10 territory ('symphony of terror' probs being the weakest and 'harder than steel' the best).

forget 'death of the sun' and the instrumental, neither of which are bad so much as comparatively unnotable, and you have pretty much wall to wall 9-10s on KotD. i'll accept the first two as 8s if you're being a curmudgeonly fuckface. title track, 'finger of scorn' and 'master of the pit' are obvious 10s, i'd give 'cirith ungol' a 10 as well but a 9 is acceptable i suppose.

BATTLE CRY isn't that far away. the bookends are outstanding, 'last rites' isn't far behind and i'll stick up for 'die by the blade' as an underrated 9. the rest ranges from 6-8 though. i guess i find it overall more samey and formulaic than the cream of the crop - 'the axeman' for example is really beloved but it's just too stiff and basic for me. i suspect you specifically would get off on this album less if it didn't have that early thrash tinge to some of the riffs, which i don't think really suits them anyway (actually, i don't understand why you'd shit on manilla road's dubious incorporating of thrash influences but then jerk off over, say, the title track on here).

comparing anything with 'bridge of death' is just mean, stop being mean. :( i know i started it, fuck you. KING OF THE DEAD obvs dips lower than HAIL TO ENGLAND does but it also has a much greater quantity of next level stuff (as does AMPLE DESTRUCTION - i can see why someone who incorrectly thinks songs like 'warfare' are 6/10 would feel otherwise though), so it still wins for me by fairly wide margin. if you took the best of HtE and SotH and put them together minus the fat, then maybe it'd threaten my top spot here, but it still probably wouldn't be enough.

i've warmed toward METAL CHURCH quite a lot lately and i can hear the craft and charisma, as well as certain similarities to panzer, but i don't think it's directly comparable to AD in tone and i don't get swept up in it in the same way. i'd say that one drops off a bit on the B-side too and from a lower ceiling, but i recognise that album's probably just less my thing than the other stuff mentioned here. there's just something kinda distanced about it, hard to explain. maybe i'll get over it.

i've warmed toward METAL CHURCH quite a lot lately and i can hear the craft and charisma, as well as certain similarities to panzer, but i don't think it's directly comparable to AD in tone and i don't get swept up in it in the same way. i'd say that one drops off a bit on the B-side too and from a lower ceiling, but i recognise that album's probably just less my thing than the other stuff mentioned here. there's just something kinda distanced about it, hard to explain. maybe i'll get over it.
I think this describes my feelings towards Metal Church too. I recognize that it is good and all, but I just don't get lost in it. It just feels like good tunes minus lots of the atmosphere. That's also one of my problems with Ample Destruction (though too a much less degree), I agree with it being pretty much the most metal thing ever but the feeling in Battle Cry or Hail to England or The Cannons... triumph manly metalness every day (which they do not lack either mind you).

generally speaking i think AMPLE DESTRUCTION is more loaded with feeling than BATTLE CRY or warlord personally, and very much comparable to manowar. it's easier to forgive clumsy moments from panzer or manowar than from pretty much any other band because they're so alive and impassioned and gleefully OTT.

Just so you know wainds I'm not declining the offer of autistic intercourse, I'll reply some time tomorrow instead.

Why are you guys devoting so much time and energy to discussing USPM albums that are worse than the Dark Age EP?

If it had one more song on par with Warrior or Viper it would be #2 on my list. If it had two more songs on par with Rock Revelation it would still be #2 on my list. One of those cases where I have to ask myself "Is this really as good as the classics?" every once in a while, listen to it, and then realize I'm underrating it if anything.

Rock Revelation is amazing though. You think it's going to be this archetypical "fuck yeah metal" filler anthem and then you realize the lyrics are all existential and heavy and then it has that fucking awesome staccato screaming part towards the end. Also Messenger to Ascheron is on par with Viper/better than Warrior imo.

I recently listened to a version of the album with the eponymous bonus track and now I like it even more.

It's still a 9/10 song, on par with the weakest songs on most of my all-time favorite albums, just not quite transcendental beauty like those other two. Alternatively, if they somehow managed to craft an 7+ minute epic with the scope of a Black Stone Wielder or The Call of Ktulu or Epitaph (and with their skills I think they could have), it would probably be my favorite album of all time. The fact that they did so little especially pisses me off because there's almost nothing even known about the band (other than their bassist being the same one that plays on the first Christian Death album, which I've now been inspired to listen to).

Messenger to Ascheron might have my favorite guitar harmonies on it, fwiw.

Oh and their eponymous song is fucking amazing, couldn't believe it when I first heard it, has that shimmering misty quality that almost sounds proto-Viking metal or something only it's 1984 so it doesn't sound like shit.

Reactions: Vegard Pompey
King of the Dead is good but inconsistent and its highs probably don't reach whatever you consider to be second-rate.

Actually it's better than nearly everything else listed in this thread.

Surprised your list is quite good for this year, given your abortions in the 90s year threads.

Let me guess your list

1. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
2. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
3. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
4. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
5. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
6. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
7. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
8. Sacramentum - Far Away from the Sun
9. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
10. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead

Cirith Ungol won't be by number 1 actually, but it's up there.

Ample Destruction probably won't be near the top either. While I love it, I have similar thoughts to you about it. And Metallica's only worthy album will be somewhere on the list.

My list:

1. Dark Age - Dark Age
2. Dark Age - Dark Age
3. Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus
4. Dark Age - Dark Age
5. Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power
6. Legend of Galactic Heroes
7. The Chasm - In the Court of the Crimson King
8. Dark Age - Dark Age
9. Dark Age - Dark Age
10. Dark Age - Dark Age