GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1984

james-hetfield-sad-but-true-im-madly-in-anger-with-you.jpg

Reactions: CiG
Pagan Altar, say what you like about them, are definitely not knuckle dragger music. If anything they're too fruity and whimsical for that crowd of people, as opposed to Megadeth, Pantera and other bands that brain-dead thugs tend to like.

Since when the hell did Megadeth become "knuckle dragger" music? :lol: stop pulling shit out of your ass.

Stop putting shit in your ass you dense homo, it's called trolling - hence why I named bands I know Ozz likes rather than genuine examples of knuckle-dragger music.

Stop being such a reactive, emotionally sunburned little faggot your whole life.

Last edited:
I dunno, I guess music that is very simplistic, one-dimensional and as an aside very lyrically dumb though not always.

Bands like Mortician, Dying Fetus, Broken Hope, The Mentors.

Jungle Rot is like the fucking definition of knuckle-dragger music. Cianide too. Scott once referred to his music as "Caveman Metal" and I think that's fitting.

Nothing wrong with knuckle-dragger music BTW.

Reactions: CiG
let's tentatively make friday the deadline?

1) cirith ungol - king of the dead
2) saint vitus - saint vitus
3) jag panzer - ample destruction
4) destruction - sentence of death
5) metallica - ride the lightning
6) gotham city - the unknown
7) mercyful fate - don't break the oath
8) queensryche - the warning
9) trouble - psalm 9
10) manowar - hail to england

HM
celtic frost - morbid tales
dark age - dark age
iron maiden - powerslave
manowar - sign of the hammer
omen - battle cry
running wild - gates of purgatory

nitpick at its occasional weak spots if ya must but KotD is a fucking otherworldly, transporting experience with textures you can bathe in, emotions that crash right over you. as i already argued, it has the highest quantity of amazing music of any album from this year, or most other years for that matter. its power never seems to dull.

the second god tier record from this year is vitus' s/t, probably their best, music which bypasses the brain and goes straight for the veins, as ugly, desperate and addictive as a heroin fix. 'saint vitus', 'burial at sea' and especially 'the psychopath' are towering achievements.

as previously mentioned AMPLE DESTRUCTION has a slightly weaker run after the first few songs, but it's never less than exceptional OTT fun. i'm not sure any album gives me a bigger adrenaline rush - the guitars and vocals evoke in me nothing short of sheer unadulterated glee.

SENTENCE OF DEATH has probably the most badass string of riffs 'n leads in all of thrash, just home run after home run, and it culminates in my favourite song of 1984 and probably my all-time favourite thrash song: the uniquely tense and crumpled (and at points super fuckin' headbangable) 'devil's soldiers'. so many chills.

RIDE THE LIGHTNING would make top three of almost any other year but this one, but we're dealing with small degrees here and songs like 'trapped under ice' and 'escape' knock it down just a little. i'm not exactly that big on 'fight fire with fire' either but the other five are treasures.

THE UNKNOWN is the best traditional heavy metal album ever to come out of sweden, and a top ten NWOBHM-styled album in general. i'd forgotten how good it is 'til i revisited it for this.

DON'T BREAK THE OATH is my favourite fate because while it may not be their darkest, wildest or heaviest album, it's their most fluent, expressive and spellbinding. still pretty flawed, but that's a price worth paying for albums this original and ambitious.

THE WARNING is a huge grower and more consistent than i used to think it was. wouldn't be surprised if it ended up even higher.

at its best PSALM 9 is the most intense, tormented, skycrackingly powerful doom metal band of all time at the peak of their powers. uneven tho.

HAIL TO ENGLAND is manowar's best, most consistent album, and it's only so low because i only really like rather than love most of it, the bookends being the exceptions (probably my two favourite manowar songs aside from 'mountains').

MORBID TALES gets 8th or so if we're talking about the issue with the extra songs from EMPEROR'S RETURN. it isn't quite enough without 'morbid tales' or 'DETRONETT EMPEHRHUHR'.

this is probably the best year of them all in my book. there are albums that didn't make the honorable mentions which would've made some of my other lists comfortably.