GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1989

Never listened to that particular Dorsal Atlantica album. Three songs deep, and so far the pattern is that the songs have some really bizarre fucked up intro riffing that makes me hard, and then the drunk guy starts talking and the riffs become average. Still better than expected though.

Never listened to that particular Dorsal Atlantica album. Three songs deep, and so far the pattern is that the songs have some really bizarre fucked up intro riffing that makes me hard, and then the drunk guy starts talking and the riffs become average. Still better than expected though.
It definitely has that messy, unorganised, barely coherent feeling that typified the most imaginative South American bands of the time.... but there are enough sequences within the songs that just mesh to help hold it all together. And that bass playing is often off the charts. The drunken rambling stuff doesn't bother me that much... but then again I don't mind avant-garde/noise stuff, so it isn't really too out there for me.

10) WORLD DOWNFALL by TERRORIZER

a1266753153_10.jpg

"Picked up Terrorizer's World Downfall the other day and love it. First thing I thought was 'that drumming is ridiculously tight' and then found out it was Pete fucking Sandoval.

I've always been turned off by grind because of the stupid gore imagery, but the traditional stuff which is closer to hardcore I enjoy, as I'm a hardcore fan from way back.
" - @challenge_everything

"Probably not controversial, but Terrorizer - World Downfall is the best grindcore album ever." - @The Ozzman

"Terrorizer are cool. I think Wolrd Downfall is great, but I don't think it's the best grind album ever." - @Oblivious Maximus

Voted for by:
@Allfader (2nd place)
@Satanstoenail (2nd place)
@jimmy101 (3rd place)
@Slammed (4th place)
@Atomic Tide (6th place)
@Mort Divine (6th place)
@challenge_everything (7th place)
@Anom@nder Rake (9th place)

TOTAL POINTS: 49

9) NOSFERATU by HELSTAR

nosferatu-5b7305bbb5c75.jpg

">_> Helstar - Nosferatu takes the title of Greatest Heavy Metal Album of All Time." - @Mort Divine

"nosferatu is consistently excellent and helstar's best, never have phantom of the opera style theatrics shredded so damn much. i'd like to see more love for 'remnants of war' though, it tends to get ignored in favour of the IMO inferior 'a distant thunder'" - @no country for old wainds

"Damn, Tom, you've almost managed to sway me with your enthusiasm, but I can't quite share your sentiments. There's just something plastic about Nosferatu, whether it's the production or the vocals, or the combination of both-- there's definitely something off-putting about it. I can't fault the musicianship, it's really nice. Still something doesn't quite feel right." - @Darkbliss

"it's definitely not an album to be taken at all seriously, it's contrived OTT theatrically ominous vampire nonsense at the end of the day, i think part of why i love it is the ridiculous silliness of it, and its faithfulness in spirit to the source material." - @no country for old wainds

"Dude I cannot stop playing Nosferatu! That album is seriously a POwer metal masterpiece...I only wish the others were as good, but 1 fucking legendary album is good enough. :kickass:" - @rms

"DUDE.
You fuckign NEED Helstar's Nosferatu. http://www.myspace.com/helstar the first song Baptized in Blood is the opening track(well after the intro) and just shows you how fucking amazing this album is. They have 2 other good releases(Burning Star and A Distant Thunder), they also have a live album and a greatest hits called Sins of the Past.
" - @rms

[...2 years later...]

"Have you given Helstar's first 3 a listen? I can't even bare Nosferatu anymore." - @rms

Voted for by:
@Mort Divine (1st place)
@no country for old wainds (1st place)
@Phylactery (2nd place)
@Somethingface (3rd place)
@Vegard Pompey (4th place)
@challenge_everything (5th place)
@Burkhard (7th place)
@Slayed Necros (9th place)

TOTAL POINTS: 56

8) SYMPHONIES of SICKNESS by CARCASS

symphonies-of-sickness-513611d5acecf.jpg

"Carcass - Symphonies of Sickness. The greatest grindcore album of all time imo." - @Sirjack

3 years worth of @CiG's intellectual opinion on Symphonies of Sickness:

"Symphonies Of Sickness is a masterpiece."

"I need to listen to Necroticism more, I just always go to Symphonies Of Sickness."

"Symphonies Of Sickness has the perfect production for it's sound. It's a masterpiece."

"Symphonies Of Sickness is a masterpiece of gore. :kickass:"

"Symphonies of Sickness never ceases to blow me away."

"Symphonies of Sickness man, what a fucking amazing record."

Voted for by:
@Anom@nder Rake (1st place)
@crimsonfloyd (2nd place)
@CiG (3rd place)
@Sirjack (3rd place)
@alex76 (5th place)
@Satanstoenail (6th place)
@Krow (7th place)
@TechnicalBarbarity (7th place)
@Allfader (8th place)
@Slayed Necros (10th place)

TOTAL POINTS: 58

6) SEVERED SURVIVAL by AUTOPSY

severed-survival-5431733083c3e.jpg

"Go listen to Severed Survival or Mental Funeral then, it's some of the best death metal in existence." - @Krow

"Yeah, Severed Survival is a fucking masterpiece." - @TechnicalBarbarity

"I tried Severed Survival and wasn't a big fan (probably because I'm not a huge fan of Reifert's vocals). I need to try out Mental Funeral and see if I dig that." - @The Ozzman

"Autopsy - Severed Survival. It just seems bland to me." - @The Ozzman

Voted for by:
@challenge_everything (1st place)
@Krow (1st place)
@Somethingface (2nd place)
@Anom@nder Rake (3rd place)
@no country for old wainds (3rd place)
@zerostatic (3rd place)
@CiG (4th place)
@TechnicalBarbarity (4th place)
@crimsonfloyd (5th place)
@-CC- (6th place)
@Atomic Tide (7th place)
@RadicalThrasher (9th place)
@alex76 (10th place)

TOTAL POINTS: 85

=4) BENEATH the REMAINS by SEPULTURA

beneath-the-remains-544e1ddc32413.jpg

"Sepultura - Beneath the Remains. So many fucking riffs!" - @Mort Divine

"Beneath the Remains > Slayer's entire catalog" - @The Ozzman

"Beneath the Remains is their creative peak tbh." - @EspaDa

"but honestly, when we're making a list of "greatest metal albums of all time" you have to take everything into consideration, including how influential the album is.

And anyway, I think Master of Reality is muchh, muuuch better album than Stronghold and especially At the Heart of Winter, regardless of its influence.
" - @TechnicalBarbarity

"From someone that has voted for Beneath the Remains a bazillion times, that is highly lolworthy." - @HamburgerBoy

"Beneath the Remains > most everything you listen to

... and why would you even be mentioning how many times I voted for BtR when you've been voting for The Spectre Within non-stop?
" - @TechnicalBarbarity

"Because The Spectre Within was an influential and creative album and Beneath the Remains isn't remotely, which is the context in which my last post was made." - @HamburgerBoy

"I'll have to revisit Roots for the 1996 poll, but Schizophrenia and Beneath the Remains will always reign supreme to me." - @The Ozzman

"Beneath the Remains is the best of their thrash stuff. Arise is a boring rehash of Beneath the Remains. Chaos AD is the awkward stepping stone, and Roots is where they finally found their sound. Then they imploded so everything after that is irrelevant." - @Satanstoenail

"Their pre-Schizophrenia stuff is the only actual great Sep tho." - @HamburgerBoy

"Morbid Visions is horrible. They could barely play. I've heard rehearsal room recordings that were recorded on a crappy tape deck that sound better." - @Satanstoenail

"I dig Morbid Visions. The musicianship is adequate. The guitars are slightly out of tune, but that honestly just lends it atmosphere. It's not exactly Hell Awaits, but it's solid." - @waif

"Schizophrenia and Beneath the Remains are their two best, Arise and Morbid Visions aren't too far behind." - @TechnicalBarbarity

"Morbid Visions forever. I really like Schizoprenia as well. Never got into Beneath the Remains much. I don’t know why. I like a few tracks, especially the title track which is one of Sepultura’s best." - @Phylactery

"Arise = Beneath the Remains > Schizophrenia > Morbid Visions" - @TechnicalBarbarity

"Easily the worst of the Cavalera era. Probably worse than new Sepultura too. Completely uninspired trend-hopping vanilla thrash." - @HamburgerBoy

Voted for by:
@jimmy101 (1st place)
@Somethingface (1st place)
@TechnicalBarbarity (1st place)
@alex76 (2nd place)
@zerostatic (2nd place)
@Allfader (3rd place)
@The Ozzman (4th place)
@Satanstoenail (4th place)
@Sirjack (4th place)
@Serjeant Grumbles (5th place)
@-CC- (7th place)
@Burkhard (8th place)
@crimsonfloyd (9th place)
@Mort Divine (9th place)
@Vegard Pompey (9th place)
@zabu of nΩd (9th place)

TOTAL POINTS: 98

Last edited:
=4) NOTHINGFACE by VOÏVOD

nothingface-54b7e1e6dbe2c.jpg

"Venom Award Winner: Voivod- Nothingface (terrible vocal performance and ineffective mix of prog and punk. Doesn't belong in the top 100 metal albums of 1989)." - @crimsonfloyd

"Nothingface is easily among the very greatest progressive metal albums ever. Anyone that disagrees is a false." - @HamburgerBoy

Voted for by:
@Atomic Tide (1st place)
@Burkhard (1st place)
@CiG (1st place)
@Vegard Pompey (1st place)
@HamburgerBoy (2nd place)
@Oblivious Maximus (3rd place)
@Satanstoenail (3rd place)
@Slayed Necros (3rd place)
@-CC- (5th place)
@Somethingface (7th place)
@challenge_everything (8th place)
@no country for old wainds (8th place)
@RadicalThrasher (8th place)
@zabu of nΩd (8th place)
@Baroque (9th place)
@Krow (10th place)

TOTAL POINTS: 98

Last edited:
3) REALM of CHAOS: SLAVES to DARKNESS by BOLT THROWER

realm-of-chaos-slaves-to-darkness-59c84502f02a5.jpg

"Realm of fucking Chaos. The ultimate war metal album." - @Slayed Necros

"War Master is better than Realm of Chaos." - @The Ozzman

"Bolt Thrower is good, but incredibly overrated. Nothing they did after Realm of Chaos is particularly special." - @Mort Divine

"I like Realm of Chaos the best, i think it has much better atmosphere then their other albums." - @Vilden

"Realm of Chaos is indeed awesome, but it really just cannot compare to the likes of The Chasm, Demigod, and Incantation." - @Master_Yoda77

"this is why REALM OF CHAOS is kind of my stock answer for best bolt thrower these days, it hits that sweet spot between the filth of the debut and the sound they'd go on to establish." - @no country for old wainds

"Realm of Chaos basically puts the entire sub-genre of "war metal" to shame. It's a relentlessly ferocious unassailable warmachine. 10/10 album." - @Slayed Necros

"Nothing weird about Realm of Chaos being at the top spot. Plenty of people have placed it there." - @TechnicalBarbarity

"Which is overhyped." - @Dak (of course The Pozzman 'liked' this one lmao.)

"i can't think of a better endorsement for any album than dak disliking it." - @no country for old wainds

Voted for by:
@Sirjack (1st place)
@Slayed Necros (1st place)
@-CC- (2nd place)
@CiG (2nd place)
@Krow (2nd place)
@Mort Divine (2nd place)
@Atomic Tide (3rd place)
@challenge_everything (3rd place)
@crimsonfloyd (3rd place)
@Dak (4th place)
@zerostatic (4th place)
@no country for old wainds (5th place)
@Anom@nder Rake (6th place)
@The Ozzman (8th place)
@alex76 (9th place)
@Phylactery (unranked)

TOTAL POINTS: 115.5

Last edited:
2) CONSUMING IMPULSE by PESTILENCE

consuming-impulse-56aa4c344b7de.jpg

"I am fond of Consuming Impulse artwork. It's not beautiful but likeable." - @EspaDa

"Consuming Impulse is hella catchy bro, wot u on?" - @HamburgerBoy

"Pestilence kills Death. Nothing by Death even comes remotely close to Consuming Impulse." - @Slayed Necros

"Pestilence will probably be last for me because MVD's voice grates the fuck out of me." - @The Ozzman

"The vocals are THE highlight of Consuming Impulse. The Trauma, that chorus, come on bros." - @HamburgerBoy

"Consuming Impulse is one of the best dm albums ever recorded ldo." - @Onder

"I recommend Protest the Hero's Scurillous next, tech-thrash masterpiece." - @HamburgerBoy

"nah, i think im gonna go for the "death metal classic" that is Hell Awaits, no? :lol:" - @TechnicalBarbarity

"Great pick. Just noticed that you listened to the thrash metal masterpiece, Consuming Impulse, on the previous page as well. You're killing it today." - @HamburgerBoy

"...its clearly not a "thrash metal masterpiece" on the level of Unquestionable Presence, no?" - @TechnicalBarbarity

"Nah it's better actually, stronger riffs and really not that much less technical even though Atheist has a wankier rhythm section, not to mention that the aggression is on another level. Both great albums though." - @HamburgerBoy

":lol:" - @CiG

Voted for by:
@Dak (2nd place)
@no country for old wainds (2nd place)
@RadicalThrasher (2nd place)
@Mort Divine (3rd place)
@TechnicalBarbarity (3rd place)
@alex76 (4th place)
@Allfader (4th place)
@Anom@nder Rake (4th place)
@challenge_everything (4th place)
@crimsonfloyd (4th place)
@HamburgerBoy (4th place)
@jimmy101 (4th place)
@Sirjack (6th place)
@CiG (7th place)
@Slayed Necros (7th place)
@Atomic Tide (8th place)
@Baroque (8th place)
@Krow (8th place)
@Somethingface (8th place)
@Satanstoenail (9th place)

TOTAL POINTS: 119

Last edited:
1) ALTARS of MADNESS by MORBID ANGEL

altars-of-madness-55c7685732b04.jpg

"Let's stop talking about Illud, let's talk about their good shit. Hows abouts that Altars of Madness?" - @The Butt

"Altars of Madness is the best MA album." - @Zephyrus

"(Runner up for Venom Award. While this is a good album, some people claim it's the best death metal album ever. It's not even close)." - @crimsonfloyd

"Blessed Are The Sick > Altars of Madness" - @The Ozzman

"Altars of Madness was always the best MA album in my little world." - @Cythraul

"I prefer the material with Tucker. I can't get into Altars of Madness at all." - @The Ozzman

"wat" - @Zephyrus

"I mean, it's alright, but I think it's way overhyped as far as OSDM goes. I really don't see why people fellate this album so much." - @The Ozzman

"BAtS is better." - @Krow

"morbid angel have 3 timeless albums; altars of madness, blessed are the sick, covenant." - @EchoForever

"Altars of Madness or Blessed are the Sick?

Clearly, Altars of Madness for me. Everything meshes so perfectly on it. The vocals are my favorite of any of David Vincents and the riffage is downright gritty and evil.
" - @Dazed and Brutal

"Altars of Madness is fucking excellent, and my personal favorite death metal album. Blessed is awesome as well." - @mutantllama

Voted for by:
@alex76 (1st place)
@Allfader (1st place)
@Phylactery (1st place)
@Serjeant Grumbles (1st place)
@zerostatic (1st place)
@Anom@nder Rake (2nd place)
@challenge_everything (2nd place)
@jimmy101 (2nd place)
@Sirjack (2nd place)
@TechnicalBarbarity (2nd place)
@zabu of nΩd (2nd place)