GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1994

l guess if a band is talking about an ep or single they released in the past, and they are featuring it on their own website, it must have a ring of authority about it no..otherwise why would they put the release date as 1994
you or me should know best you reckon

Maybe they don't remember and are mixing up the recording date and release date? Who knows. Did they actually type that on their website or did some 3rd party working for a label or something do it?

The EP was recorded in 1994 but I see no proof it was released in 1994 and Discogs has it as 1995 for some reason.

read the page from their website l linked and see how they twice say they released it in 94 and also how they talk about 'us' writing from the bands perspective.
l would say that, and, the description of the release formats, that that is concrete evidence of the official release date.

On Discogs one of the represses with coloured vinyl was entered there first with 1995, and then the other entries including the original pressing just copied the year from that. Any sources saying 1995 could be interpreted as either referring to a repress or simply copying their info from Discogs. I think the band's website wins on this occasion.

Can someone give me some personalized recs because I'm struggling to even find 10 good albums for this blackmetal dystopia of a year.

Be Forewarned is better than I expected, I still think the doomed-up version of the title track is an abomination (I keep trying to disassociate it from the version on First Daze Here and enjoy it on its own merits, but I just can't) but the album has some other great songs on it and a lovely warm sound that somehow feels both 70's and 90's at once.

Vauxdvihl is pretty cool, might make my list.

The Longings Past album I find grating and tasteless, sorry Omni.

Not sure if I'm the right person to give you a personalized recommendation, but I have a feeling you would like Gorement's The Ending Quest if you haven't heard it already. It's really good but also a grower in some ways.

Edit: also Yngwie Malmsteen's The Seventh Sign is quite awesome.

I think you know my taste pretty well, and I also respect yours, so I'll check out the Gorement. I really dislike what I've heard of Yngwie though.

When one of Bolt Thrower's best albums is at the bottom of your Top 10, you know it's a good year. No black metal out of principle:

1. Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
  2. Obituary - World Demise
  3. Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell, Part 1
  4. Black Sabbath - Cross Purposes
  5. King's X - Dogman
  6. Megadeth - Youthanasia
  7. Corrosion of Conformity - Deliverance
  8. Pride & Glory - S/T
  9. Bolt Thrower - ...For Victory
  10. Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh
Thoughts:

-It's unbelievable how well Machine Head's debut has held up after 20+ years. I never, ever get tired of spinning that album. Definitely one of the all time greatest debut albums.
-World Demise is Obituary's most crushing release. Every track on this album makes me want to punch a wall with how angry they are.
-Marriage of Heaven and Hell is one of the best releases in the history of trad metal
-Cross Purposes is slowly becoming a Top 3 Sabbath album for me. This is Tony Martin's best performance in this band.
-Regardless what people think about Zakk Wylde and BLS, the Pride & Glory debut is the best thing he has ever put out and that includes his solo stuff and the stuff he did with Ozzy.
-The 1-2-3 punch of the first three tracks on Youthanasia are the main reason I love this album so much. They are catchy and crushing.
-I hate how good Flo Mournier's drumming is on the Cryptopsy debut. It is absolutely sick.
-The Bleeding has not held up well at all. I thought for certain that would make my Top 10, but the 3 albums before it are way better.
-Far Beyond Driven is better than I remember. I really should spin that album more.

Last edited:
Incantation - Mortal Throne of Nazarene
Dawn - Nær Sólen Gar Niþer For Evogher
Bolt Thrower - ...
For Victory
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
The Chasm - Procreation of the Inner Temple
Mortuary Drape - All the Witches Dance
Sadistic Intent - Resurrection
Sacramentum - Finis malorum
Pentagram - Be Forewarned
Iron Man - The Passage