GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1996

There are a handful of albums I consider absolute classics from this year, especially Psychostasia which is one of the best pure DM albums ever made, but otherwise id agree with the people who say this wasnt a particularly strong year.

Im making my list now so that I dont forget, though this might be subject to change.
1. Adramelech - Psychostasia
2. Cryptopsy - None So Vile
3. Katatonia - Brave Murder Day
4. Immolation - Here in After
5. Burzum - Filosofem
6. Opeth - Morningrise
7. Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
8. Melechesh - As Jerusalem Burns... Al'Intisar
9. Countess - Book of the Heretic
10. Nevermore - The Politics of Ecstasy

I didnt include Asphyx's Embrace the Death since it is more of a compilation of older material than a legit '96 release. After looking up The Chasm's From the Lost Years... im realizing that it isnt what I originally thought (a compilation of old stuff), so I never really gave it a shot. Im guessing I should change that line of thinking?

Uh oh, it seems Dol Guldur was released in 1997, according to most sources. Paging HBB to clarify.

1 - Cryptopsy - None So Vile
2 - Immolation - Here in After
3 - Adramelech - Psychostasia
4 - Burzum - Filosofem
5 - Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
6 - Monstrosity - Millennium
7 - Quo Vadis - Forever
8 - Gorgoroth - Anitichrist
9 -
Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun
10- Brutality - In Mourning

11- Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill
12 - Vomitory - Raped in Their Own Blood

Last edited:
discogs suggests a CD was released independently in '96 along with an unofficial cassette release, then it was released by napalm in '97.

The 96 releases listed in discogs say Russia on them. Come on. Obvious bootleg made to look old because the liner notes of the first press cd say it was recorded in 96.

This year is gonna be tough. Burzum, Cryptopsy, Neurosis, Opeth are locks. Beyond that there's a shit ton of options. There at least a dozen A or A- black metal albums this year.

All you black metal fans better not forget about Strength and Anger.