GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1999

Well he needs to post more in these times when hardly anyone is posting. And he almost always recommends good shit.

1. Nox Intempesta - Damnanus Dominum
2. Avenger - Fall of Devotion, Wrath and Blasphemy
3. Kyprian's Circle - Noitatulen vartija
4. Night Conquers Day - Rebellion is the Art of Survival
5. Mutiilation - Remains of a Ruined Cursed Dead Soul
6. Demoncy - Within the Sylvan Realms of Frost
7. Sabbat - Karisma
8. Bewitched - Dragonflight
9. Lucifugum - On the Sortilage of Christianity
10. Sargatanas - The Enlightenment (could do with a good few minutes shaved off and then it might be higher, but this is some nasty black/death)

Honourable mentions:

Warloghe - The First Possession
Immolation - Failures for Gods
Lunar Aurora - of Stargates and Bloodstained Celestial Spheres
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Slough Feg - Twilight of the Idols
Demoncy - Joined in Darkness
Frozen Shadows - Dans les bras des immortels
Taake - Nattestid ser porten vid
Aeternus - Shadows of Old
Angelcorpse - Exterminate
Dominus Xul - The Primigeni Xul
Averse Sefira - Homecoming's March

Might need to make a few edits. This is a really good year, especially for black metal.

I definitely need to check out the black metal on your list I'm not familiar with. I also really need a copy of Dragonflight. It didnt make my list basically because I dont have a physical copy

1. Nox Intempesta - Damnanus Dominum
2. Avenger - Fall of Devotion, Wrath and Blasphemy
3. Kyprian's Circle - Noitatulen vartija
4. Night Conquers Day - Rebellion is the Art of Survival
5. Mutiilation - Remains of a Ruined Cursed Dead Soul
6. Demoncy - Within the Sylvan Realms of Frost
7. Sabbat - Karisma
8. Bewitched - Dragonflight
9. Lucifugum - On the Sortilage of Christianity
10. Sargatanas - The Enlightenment (could do with a good few minutes shaved off and then it might be higher, but this is some nasty black/death)
Decided to review some of the material you listed here and I should probably at least consider Nox Intempesta, Night Conquers Day, Avenger and Demoncy given how well they've held up in retrospect for me. That said, Karisma is placed way too low and placing it below that Mutiilation album is also pretty baffling. It's easily among the best of the work on your list and arguably a somewhat better album than Damnanus Dominum, let alone the chore that is Remains.

I’m not really convinced on the order myself outside of number 1. No way I’m changing that one.

The Mutiilation isn’t something I listen to very often at all, but when I’m in the mood for it it’s great. Absolute pain and suffering put to music. “To the Memory of the Dark Countess” rules!

I don’t expect most people to like NCD as much as I do. I can see the criticisms a lot would have of them - overlong songs, a mishmash of different styles/influence, amateur, etc. But I discovered them quite early in my exploration of black metal and have always loved them.

I definitely need to check out the black metal on your list I'm not familiar with. I also really need a copy of Dragonflight. It didnt make my list basically because I dont have a physical copy

Which ones have you not heard? I’d probably recommend Demoncy most of all to you if you’ve not heard them (both albums).

Last edited:
Imma listen to that first album man, but if its trash Im putting a hit on your fucking head

Do it. It needs to make more lists. If you don’t like it then I shall be the one putting a hit on your head. Riff after riff of pure savagery. A near perfect example of black/death metal and how to flawlessly integrate both.

Elric, Talos, TheNightsBane, etc

+ Manic Ferocity tbh

Requirements for being in crowd:

1) Like bands that write shitty riffs like Manilla Road
2) All the doom metal
3) Don't post. Ever.
4) Don't like anything past the third album for a band or anything after the early 90s that resulted in a band changing their sound

Am I missing anything, @Dak or @HamburgerBoy ?

Last edited:
I'm thinking in crowd is a term with too much esteem for a group that prides themselves on listening to bands 99.5+% of metalheads don't care to know about. As we know, UM is like the Twilight Zone of metal fandom.

listening to bands 99.5+% of metalheads don't care to know about

Because those bands are most likely derivative as fuck or complete shit.

Ño estoy despingado hasta los mameyes. Feliz dia de los padres cabrones!!!

other-side-of-the-wall-for-him.jpg

ozz its like you're angry every day man. please don't shoot people

UMGMD: Where being super opinionated means you're angry

I'm actually way more patient and happy these days. I just think the Pavlovian response to merely mentioning 'in crowd' in threads is hilarious. I've gleaned all I need to from this board and now just post here because I'm bored.

Last edited:
Control Denied - The Fragile Art of Existence
Testament - The Gathering
Type O Negative - World Coming Down
Opeth - Still Life (lol at being #1 on RYM)
Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 2
Agalloch - Pale Folklore
Demons and Wizards - S/T
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2

Decent year
Place LTE and Dream Theater high enough and the results should be great. I have to listen to Still Life again as it has been a while. Thanks for remind me Demons and Wizards' self-titled came out this year as well. Forgot about that one too.

Reactions: The Ozzman
Place LTE and Dream Theater high enough and the results should be great. I have to listen to Still Life again as it has been a while. Thanks for remind me Demons and Wizards' self-titled came out this year as well. Forgot about that one too.

That DT album ranks near the bottom for me tbh. Maybe I'll get that ironed out if we ever do a Dream Theater poll thread. Probably won't happen and we'll get, like, Satyricon before that or something. I honestly haven't listened to Metropolis in a long time, but Train of Thought will always be the top DT album for me. I don't care about anything after Portnoy left.

I'm thinking in crowd is a term with too much esteem for a group that prides themselves on listening to bands 99.5+% of metalheads don't care to know about. As we know, UM is like the Twilight Zone of metal fandom.

This just isn’t really true. This board is mild compared to some other boards. NWN scoffs at plenty of “in crowd” staples while praising things way deeper down the rabbit hole. Shit that always seems to sell out from labels too.

The whole 99.5% of metalheads thing isn’t really a flattering group to be a part of, bunch of slobbering BLS and Pantera fans and people that think Breaking the Law is the only song Judas Priest ever released that never intend to do more than listen to the radio in their cars while driving drunk.

Hey Ozz you have a dui right? Were you listening to one of those bands?

Hey Ozz you have a dui right? Were you listening to one of those bands?

That was 8 years ago. No idea. I was probably exploring something one of you idiots recommended to me and I was so appalled that I started swerving in a fit of rage.

Last edited:
That was 8 years ago. No idea. I was probably exploring something one of you idiots recommended to me and I was so appalled that I started swerving in a fit of rage.

Don't blame your own weakness on other people. At least you finally realized you had a drinking problem like 7 years after you endangered lives.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
The whole 99.5% of metalheads thing isn’t really a flattering group to be a part of, bunch of slobbering BLS and Pantera fans and people that think Breaking the Law is the only song Judas Priest ever released that never intend to do more than listen to the radio in their cars while driving drunk.

You're just regurgitating WV stereotypes.

This!

Also, the whole only liking the earliest material has been discussed plenty. Early releases from a band generally see them at their most passionate, inspired and least formulaic. It’s not hard to see why this appeals to some people and not to others. Others prefer it when they’ve tightened up their sound and are all around more professional. I tend to not. Although there are still examples of bands improving with age. I always like to point to Averse Sefira as a band that greatly benefited from focusing their sound. Their last 2 albums are easily better then their first two.

My profession is a good example of this. When I was training to be a teacher my lessons were far more creative and thoughtful and much less formulaic. Now, they’re just not that way at all. A lot of this is due to time constraints, but I also just don’t have the same energy and even passion that I once did.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
You're just regurgitating WV stereotypes.

He forgot his own: the white version of Big Lipped Tyrone

This!

Also, the whole only liking the earliest material has been discussed plenty. Early releases from a band generally see them at their most passionate, inspired and least formulaic. It’s not hard to see why this appeals to some people and not to others. Others prefer it when they’ve tightened up their sound and are all around more professional. I tend to not. Although there are still examples of bands improving with age. I always like to point to Averse Sefiea as a band that greatly benefited from focusing their sound. Their last 2 albums are easily better then their first two.

My profession is a good example of this. When I was training to be a teacher my lessons were far more creative and thoughtful and much less formulaic. Now, they’re just not that way at all. A lot of this is due to time constraints, but I also just don’t have the same energy and even passion that I once did.

Jesus fuck, dude. Shut the fuck up and stop being so literal about what I say. Keep your posting to one account

Last edited: