GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2019

oMud5y3.jpg

Reactions: CiG
is that kekht arakh thing actually good lol it looks like literally the gayest metal album i've ever seen

heh. it's pretty dainty as far a black metal goes and even has some schmaltzy butt poetry. idk if you ever feel out your inner candyass, but could work come fall.

Man the vocals on that Wagner Odegard are fuckin awful. Musically doable but that whole punk rock black metal frog thing is laughable.

Psssh, maybe not quite Rob Darken tier croaks, but i feel like the vocals service the tracks perfectly

This is funny shit thanks for letting me know. The Last Witness is the only album I've heard by Zealotry and I thought it was just a big ol' 5/10 personally. Now that I know at least one of the members is a giant faggot I feel like rating all their shit a 1/10. :lol:

This is funny shit thanks for letting me know. The Last Witness is the only album I've heard by Zealotry and I thought it was just a big ol' 5/10 personally. Now that I know at least one of the members is a giant faggot I feel like rating all their shit a 1/10. :lol:
I'm 99% sure the same guy used to be on the user tzimisce on RYM going back to around 2010-2012 (either that or its actually his band mate). The name Roman definitely rings a bell. Apart from being a massive dick in general, his whole shtick revolved around 'you can only be a decent Metal critic if you are a musician helping bring the genre forward.'

Looks like not much has changed.

he has good taste in my book but he’s also a tosser, i remember him whining on about people giving high ratings to bands with dubious politics etc not long ago as well. and yeah while i find visigoth mildly enjoyable they are about as formulaic as it gets

I'm a fan of Sarcasm's mid 90s material, and I checked out this new 2019 albums when it came out but found the melodies really sugary and unsatisfying. Listening to it now and enjoying it more than I previously did. Might be a grower. Definitely should be up Vegard's street.

Yeah, I'm loving the new Sarcasm. Sounds like it came out of a time capsule from that early melodeath scene.

I'm a fan of Sarcasm's mid 90s material, and I checked out this new 2019 albums when it came out but found the melodies really sugary and unsatisfying. Listening to it now and enjoying it more than I previously did. Might be a grower. Definitely should be up Vegard's street.
It's not bad, it's structurally pretty sound, but very derivative of the twin guitar Swedish melodic death metal from the early to mid 90s. Where they try to depart and experiment a bit, like on say track 3, it does come across a little 'cheesy' or 'sugary' (as you said above). I rated it 3/5, which is the equivalent to 'Good' for me. I probably won't return to it much as I'd rather listen to the 90s stuff from Unanimated, Uncanny, Dissection etc.

I had similar thoughts on the Sorathian Dawn EP you listed by the way, although that is in more of a Sacramentum / Dissection style.

edit: I get where Sarcasm are coming from though, this is the style of music they wanted to release back in the 90s but got fucked around by record labels (apparently). It's a second chance for them and they must be happy just releasing albums.

Yeah I don’t expect most people to like the Sorathian Dawn as much as I do. I can see its flaws and it’s a bit over the top. But it just has massive energy and a cool atmosphere that I can get behind.

The top 2 on my list are definitely a cut above the rest for me. 2019 was a pretty good year overall, but those are two of my favourites of the past decade I think.

Yeah I don’t expect most people to like the Sorathian Dawn as much as I do. I can see its flaws and it’s a bit over the top. But it just has massive energy and a cool atmosphere that I can get behind.

The top 2 on my list are definitely a cut above the rest for me. 2019 was a pretty good year overall, but those are two of my favourites of the past decade I think.
Not a fan of Polemicist - Zarathustrian Impressions? If you haven't heard it, I believe it's well worth your time.

the polemicist album was the year’s ANUS darling alongside the mefitis but seems to have gone completely under the radar elsewhere, probably ‘cause of all the pretentious ass nietzschean lyrics lol. you’ll def like it imo