GMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 2019

Honestly don’t think I’ve heard a good black metal album from this year yet. But I’m still on the lookout, there must be at least one!

Last edited:
aside from the malokarpatan and paysage d'hiver there's also the kawir that looks promising. there's a cenotaphe album if you liked the EP.

Honestly don’t think I’ve heard a good black metal album from this year yet. But I’m still on the lookout, there must be at least one!
nasheim is my album for the year. The mare/spectral lore split is good too. Drave , and the demos from daupuz and dispaitre

1. Exulansis Sequestered Symphony
2. Rainer Landfermann Mein Wort in Deiner Dunkelheit
3. Véheménce Par Le Sang Versé
4. Stellar Master Elite Hologram Temple
5. Darkthrone Old Star
6. Aoratos Gods Without Name
7. Abigail Williams Walk Beyond the Dark
8. Grima Will of the Primordial
9. The Meads of Asphodel Running Out of Time Doing Nothing
10. Ereb Altor Järtecken

Just a few things I've liked in full or enjoyed a preview track from, not sure if anything here will take your fancy but just in case.

Liked the second one best out of those, but it also doesn't seem like the sort of black metal you usually go for.

I dunno with Ifernach, I quite liked the 2018 full length and thought it showed promised. But now they seem to have gone ultra atmospheric. I didn't like the Wastow EP at all. Not much of a fan of the first track on this. The second track is more like what they were previously doing.

Reactions: CiG
Yeah I'm iffy on Ifernach myself, he's never quite reached that Gaqtaqaiaq EP levels for me again. Not sure what it is exactly about Maquahuitl that I like, the production is so vibrant and the drumming is very confronting and energetic like I like so maybe that's it. The dissonant/psychedelic riffing is cool too. The reverb on the tortured vocals? There's something there in that mixture that just grabs me.

Edit: Just came across this little raw demo...

Last edited:
I got started on this list pretty late, so apologies in advance to all the albums I'll inevitably discover would've made the list if I had spent more time with them.

1. Mefitis - Emberdawn
2. Esoctrilihum - The Telluric Ashes of the Ö Vrth Immemorial Gods
3. Darkthrone - Old Star
4. Funereal Presence - Achatius
5. Mizmor - Cairn
6. Tanith - In Another Time
7. Sorathian Dawn - Sun of the Deep
8. Crestfallen Queen - Queen of Swords
9. Sarcasm - Esoteric Tales of the Unserene
10. Galneryus - Into the Purgatory

LPs
1) mefitis - emberdawn
2) orodruin - ruins of eternity
3) infernal conjuration - infernale metallum mortis
4) funereal presence - achatius
5) arch / matheos - winter ethereal
6) polemicist - zarathustrian impressions
7) smoulder - times of obscene evil and wild daring
8) unaussprechlichen kulten - teufelsbucher
9) chevalier - destiny calls
10) ultra silvam - the spearwound salvation

EPs/Demos
galaxy - lost from the start
the night eternal - the night eternal
sorathian dawn - sun of the deep
trecelence - for i am the eyes
bolzer - lese majesty

spotify playlist

Actually kinda surprised at how highly you ranked the Infernal Conjuration. Wasn’t sure it would be entirely your thing. But yeah, it rules.

I haven’t heard that Bolzer, but I also haven’t really enjoyed anything they’ve done post Aura. I guess I should give it a listen.