GMD Poll: Type O Negative's Discography Ranked

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Directions: Rank Type O Negative's 6 albums. Order and number each album 1-6. Ties are OK. Your first place album earns 6 points, your second place album earns 5 points, etc.

Rules:
  • You may rank as few as 4 albums. Lists with less than 4 albums will not be counted. But this is a small discography, so I encourage everybody to list all albums.
  • If you list less than 6 albums, the first placed album will still get 6 points, the last placed album will still get 1 point, and the albums in between will have points distributed proportionately. The average points earned for albums that are not listed will not be impacted positively or negatively, so if you don't rank an album, you neither help it or hurt it.
  • If you don't number your list then it will be assumed that it is in ranked order
At the end, the albums will be ranked based on their average number of points per vote.

You have until March 15th at 9 AM PST to finalize your list, re-familiarize yourself albums you haven’t heard in awhile, familiarize yourself with albums you haven’t heard at all, lobby for any albums you think are underrated, and lobby against any albums you think are overrated.

Slow, Deep and Hard (1991)
Bloody Kisses (1993)
October Rust (1996)
World Coming Down (1999)
Life is Killing Me (2003)
Dead Again (2007)

Reactions: CiG
1. World Coming Down
This where they perfected the doom plus pop flourishes and removed the cheesiness of previous albums

2. October Rust
Contains many of their best songs: Burnt Flowers Fallen, Love You to Death, Green Man, Wolf Moon

3. Dead Again
A fine swan song, closing out the album and band's career with two great songs: An Ode to Locksmiths and Hail and Farewell to Britain

4. Life is Killing Me
The band's most fun album. Short, to-the-point songs makes for a solid driving album.

5. Bloody Kisses
The band's cheesiest release. Some hits, lots of misses. And Black #1 is annoying

6. Slow, Deep, and Hard
Other than "Fidelity" and "Gravity", I struggle through this one. I prefer Origin of the Feces

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
1. World Coming Down (1999)
Possibly my favorite metal album. Dark, depressing, funny, Halloweeny.

2. Slow, Deep and Hard (1991)
Carnivore were fucking awesome and this features some of that era with the new goth stuff.

3. Bloody Kisses (1993)
Probably the album with the most classic Type O Negative sound. Summer Breeze is the tune that got me into them.

4. October Rust (1996)
A continuation of the classic Bloody Kisses sound. It's got the love songs and the atmospherics.

5. Life is Killing Me (2003)
Even though it's number 5 I love this album. They experiment a bit and some punk shines through at times.

6. Dead Again (2007)
I ranked it last because I spent the least time with it. It is a very well rounded album with old and new stylings and a suitable closer for the band.

1. Slow, Deep and Hard
2. October Rust
3. World Coming Down
4. Bloody Kisses
5. Dead Again
6. Life is Killing Me

first four are interchangeable to me. 5 and 6 are good but something has to be at the bottom.

Bump, looks like you need a few more lists here. I only know two of their albums and they're not capturing my attention enough to even figure out how I'd rank those two.

Slow, Deep and Hard (1991)

Bloody Kisses (1993)
October Rust (1996)
World Coming Down (1999)
Dead Again (2007)
Life is Killing Me (2003)

Forgot about this, and wasn't personally in a Type O Negative mood at the time this was being done. I personally need a week or so to get my list done. But I will close this out and get a list posted sooner or later. Is anyone else planning to vote in this?

I'm gonna close this thread on Thursday at 5:00 PM. Gotta say, I love goth rock and I love goth metal, but this band is a slog. Too many of their songs drag on way longer than they need to and these albums are so absurdly bloated. This band would have done themselves a favor to cut out the filler and consolidate their albums down to 40 minutes, because they lack the substance to roll for 70+ minutes on every album. Also, Slow, Deep and Hard is probably their worst. Voivod level bad.
Ozzman sent me his list before he left.
Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 10.31.56 AM.png

Last edited:
6) Dead Again (2007)

R-940197-1507592479-4092.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 2/6

I can empathise with your anguish. My friend and I smashed and burnt Type O Negative's abomination 'Dead Again' in an impromptu cleansing ritual where we hoped the flames would remove any residual phantasm of the album from his property.

Just listened to Type O Negative's new album Dead Again a couple weeks ago. That was pretty fucking hot. It was nice to hear them moving away from the stereotypical Goth sound a bit, and more into a hard rock / trad metal sound.

5) Life is Killing Me (2003)

R-367908-1450020525-7100.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 2.1/6

Really good song. I find Life Is Killing Me to be underrated. There's some great, catchy melodies to be found in songs like "Less Than Zero", "Todd's Ship Gods", "How Could She?", "(We Were) Electrocute" and "IYDKMIGTHTKY (Gimme That)" (especially the ending to that one, "You must decide/We're out of time/No place to hide/Your choice, not mine")

4) Bloody Kisses (1993)

R-666209-1145289527.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 3.8/6

First place votes: 2 (@zerostatic @crimsonfloyd)

Bloody Kisses by Type O Negative is disturbingly awesome. It feels nigh orgasmic to listen to something so epic and vast after cramming brutal death into my brain for so long.

How do y'all feel about Bloody Kisses? It gets a bad rap amongst 'real' metal fans it seems, probably because its too romantic and feminine and teenage girls love it. But fantastic fucking stuff IMO

I just got Bloody Kisses and I can't see myself getting into it. Some of the stuff is good, but there's too much weirdness and fucking around. I know that to some degree that's the point, but that doesn't really do it for me. If they have any more focused, serious material I'm down to hear it because some of what I heard sounded damn good, but if it's all like Bloody Kisses I think it's something that I probably won't get. I'll have to give that album another spin or two but I don't see it growing much.

3) Slow, Deep and Hard (1991)

R-752318-1307140736.jpeg.jpg

Average points per vote: 4/6

First place votes: 2 (@CiG @Krow)

Type O Negative - Slow, Deep, and Hard

Best "I'm fucking pissed at a girl" album ever.

Slow, deep and hard.

I definitely like their slower stuff like Christian woman, but I just love the thrashiness and the lyrics in Slow, Deep and Hard...."Now I ain't hinting for sympathy, I'm used to dealing with apathy, The scars on my wrist may seem like a crime, just wish me better luck next time."

Always liked slow, deep and hard best. It has a more experimental side than their other music, really foreboding kind of ambient weirdness. Paradoxically... Really glad they didn't make a career out of that style the whole way through.