GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 1984

Finally watched Starman today, enjoyed it for what it was and Bridges' acting was so quirky it actually worked.

Probably not the first time it's been said but the core plot is basically biblical dressed up as science fiction. A "starman" comes to earth and takes on the form of a man, impregnates a woman and prophesizes that the child will grow up to become "a great teacher" before he returns to the stars. I'm not sure if that was on purpose but I thought that was pretty interesting.

Won't break my top 10 but I'm glad I can check it off my Carpenter list.

FYI Penelope Spheeris' debut Suburbia is actually an '84 movie, according to IMDB it's only '83 because of two festival dates. She directed The Boys Next Door, Wayne's World, Black Sheep etc.

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street
2. The Terminator
3. Gremlins
4. Combat Shock
5. This Is Spinal Tap
6. Sixteen Candles
7. Revenge of the Nerds
8. Blood Simple
9. Paris, Texas
10. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

HM:
Beverly Hills Cop

Might as well post this now. My girlfriend recommended Paris, Texas a while ago so will find a moment to watch it with her before you wrap this up, and edit it in if applicable.

Combat Shock is under '86 in RYM but '84 in IMDb ("premiere" rather than a festival). Sticking with IMDb year master race for consistency in years gone by, unless they're a case like on the previous page where the year relates to no screening at all.

Last edited:
Combat Shock is under '86 in RYM but '84 in IMDb ("premiere" rather than a festival). Sticking with IMDb year master race for consistency in years gone by, unless they're a case like on the previous page where the year relates to no screening at all.

holy shit. game changer.

Reactions: CiG

Good catch, will have to find a spot for it in mine for sure.

EarlyZigzagFishingcat-size_restricted.gif

1. The Terminator (James Cameron)
2. Combat Shock (Buddy Giovinazzo)
3. Paris, Texas (Wim Wenders)
4. Red Dawn (John Milius)
5. Threads (Mick Jackson)
6. Fear City (Abel Ferrara)
7. The Pope of Greenwich Village (Stuart Rosenberg)
8. Repo Man (Alex Cox)
9. Stranger Than Paradise (Jim Jarmusch)
10. Blood Simple (Coen bros)
-------HM's:------------------------------------------------------------------
11. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Hayao Miyazaki)
12. A Passage to India (David Lean)
13. Once Upon a Time in America (Sergio Leone)
14. Broadway Danny Rose (Woody Allen)
15. Love Streams (John Cassavetes)
16. Nineteen Eighty-Four (Michael Radford)
17. The Toxic Avenger (Michael Herz & Lloyd Kaufman)
18. Beverly Hills Cop (Martin Brest)
19. The Karate Kid (John G. Avildsen)
20. C.H.U.D. (Douglas Cheek)

tenor.gif

Reactions: CiG
didn't really like it, but, I'll put it in my top ten - what?
"Hugely clicked" would mean loved it, like top 3 or 4 in a given year. I did like it. I mean I found it hard to collect my thoughts on what I was seeing play out in the film, or I had a few issues with it... it is a bit bizarre, but there are different kinds of bizarre and not all fully reach Planet Bloopy. It's true that I haven't liked a lot of films from any given year. The back half of my lists will be ones that made a medium impact.