GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 1990

There is some debate about this - I suspect most ratings on RYM are for the pilot or even the full series - but personally I'm talking about the "movie" which was basically the pilot with about 30 mins of tacked on scenes in which the Laura Palmer mystery is resolved, minus most of the subplots that filled out season 1. It's an entirely pointless exercise.

I'm guessing No Country is talking about the pilot.

Looked around a thrift store today to see if I could find any 1990 films, found Presumed Innocent which I've never seen before. Anybody know if it's any good?

Some things I want to check out before making my list:

Dreams (夢)
Edward Scissorhands
Misery
Bullet in the Head
Days of Being Wild
Miami Blues
State of Grace
Q & A
White Hunter Black Heart
Gremlins 2
Night of the Living Dead
The Krays
Cry-Baby (rewatch)
Memphis Belle
Flatliners
Blue Steel
A Shock to the System
The Ambulance
The Two Jakes
RoboCop 2 (...maybe)
Another 48 Hrs.
Dick Tracy (rewatch)
Robot Jox
Desperate Hours
Spontaneous Combustion
Leatherface: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
The Guardian
Moon 44
Days of Thunder
Delta Force 2 (rewatch)
A Moment of Romance
The Hot Spot

Also this movie looks awesome, has anybody seen it?

Last edited:
some damn good stuff there. i realise the list is already too big but i'd add a moment of romance, which was ghost-directed by johnnie to and likely the best of his early work, and the hot spot if you haven't seen it, directed by dennis hopper and starring don johnson and jennifer connelly. not that dissimilar to miami blues actually (which i also recommend), but i like it even more. i could happily watch a hundred of those trashy sunlit southern neo-noirs.

Reactions: CiG
Pretty fascinating podcast discussion on Hardware:

They really get out into the weeds on certain subjects, particularly the economics of the world the film presents. Something tells me the hosts are filthy commies, but they never seem like their pushing an ideology and every subject eventually circles back to Hardware and cyberpunk. Only just discovered this show yesterday. The Don't Look Now episode is well worth listening to as well.

Really great interview with Stanley from last summer. Pretty hilarious at times, especially when he talks about taking way to much acid at Cannes, running from Harvey Weinstein and jumping into a pool to hide from him at the deep end only to be fished out by Einstürzende Neubauten's manager.

Last edited:
Festival screening dates can go fuck themselves, since this is my game my rule is that the date that counts is when it is released for the general public, which according to IMDB that film you mentioned is 5th April 1990 for Argentina.