GMD Vote: Next Band Discographies to Rank

crimsonfloyd

Apr 18, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Directions: List up to 5 metal bands whose discography you would like GMD rank. If you list more than 5 bands, I will only count the first 5. No need to rank them.
  • In the GMD Rank threads, you need to list at least 50% of the bands' albums. If you yourself haven't listened to or aren't committed to listening to half of a band's discography, DON'T VOTE FOR THEM.
The bands that get the most votes (probably the top 4-7) will be the next discographies that we rank. Votes are due by Saturday, 2/16 by 5:00 PM PST. You may edit your list as many times as you want up until that deadline.

Discographies already ranked:
Black Sabbath
Bolt Thrower
Burzum
Candlemass
The Chasm
Coroner
Darkthrone
Death
Dio
Exodus
Fates Warning
Graveland
Immolation
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Manilla Road
Megadeth
Mercyful Fate
Metallica
Morbid Angel
Motorhead
Overkill
Saint Vitus
Slayer
Testament
Voivod

Nominate Cannibal Corpse, Sepultura, Pantera, Napalm Death & Anthrax

Last edited:
Reactions: Baroque
Bathory - A great discography with no clear #1 album. Some people prefer the black metal stuff, some prefer the viking stuff, some prefer BFD because it's a "middle ground". Could see this one going many different ways.

Blind Guardian- We still haven't done a power metal band and I think this band's discography is really strong. Several strong contenders for #1.

Opeth- I would assume the first 5 albums would be most people's top 5, but I think there will be a lot of variety in the order in which they would rank

Enslaved- This one interests me as they're one of the few bands where many people think they got better in their second decade. However, there are also some that prefer their early works. Really deep discography.

Incantation- One of the best death metal bands that we haven't done yet and they have a deep discography.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Again I am reassured that I am not an everyone because the discos that "almost every one knows" I have very little idea about.

Danzig
Electric Wizard
Pantera - would be hilarious actually, Metal Magic is the only one I haven't heard
Sepultura
Vader

May edit in a 5th depending what others vote for. Only power metal band I know well enough to do is Stratovarius.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slammed
At the Gates & Emperor- Short discographies that almost everyone knows and could vote on. Like the Coroner thread, I think it would get a high number of votes, because it would be easy for people to participate in.

Two bands I've only heard the earliest material from, and I hear everything else is pure dogshit?

Sodom
Danzig
Cannibal Corpse
Suffocation
Incantation

Also want to do Saxon but you guys flaked and changed your votes last time so fuck it.

Enslaved would be cool too, I consider their discography one of the greatest in black metal (maybe even in metal if I really was in the mood to gush about them) and I own most of their albums but I doubt many people will participate. People tend to like their first few or from Below the Lights era onward and those with no familiarity would find it especially daunting.

Two bands I've only heard the earliest material from, and I hear everything else is pure dogshit?

IX Equalbrium is pretty mediocre save a few songs, but Promethius is phenomenal. And I don’t think any At the Gates albums worse than “just good” although I really don’t know At War With Reality. Slaughter of the Soul is often ripped for being a sell-out album, and it is indeed pretty basic in comparison to their older stuff, but I still enjoy it from time to time. Usually when I just want something riffy and catchy to drive to.

Most At the Gates albums are decent enough. I've always felt people hate Slaughter of the Soul more for what it caused than what it is. I doubt the voting would be very interesting though.

Bathory
Destruction
Helstar
Incantation
Satan

Most At the Gates albums are decent enough. I've always felt people hate Slaughter of the Soul more for what it caused than what it is. I doubt the voting would be very interesting though.

That is probably part of it. But it seems mostly because, compared to what they were doing before, Terminal Spirit Disease and Slaughter of the Soul are pretty basic. They are quite a drastic change in sound and so it’s no surprise that there’s backlash against them. Neither of them are awful, but are often bland and uniteresting I find.

Last edited: