GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1978

giphy.gif

Reactions: CiG
Top 10 Non Metal of 1978.

1.)Devo - Q. Are We Not Men? A. We are Devo!
2.) Ramones - Road to Ruin
3.) The Police - Outlandos d'Armour
4.) Siouxie and the Banshees - Scream
5.) The Clash -Give em Enough Rope
6.) Dead Boys - We Have Come For Your Children
7.) Midnight Oil - Midnight Oil
8.) Kraftwerk - Die Mensch-Maschine
9.) Talking Heads -More Songs About Buildings and Food
10.) Tom Waits - Blue Valentine

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Last edited:
#7 Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses

sds.jpg

Those who voted:

@Sirjack (#2)
@Talos of Atmora (#7)
@Omni (#10)

So while I was searching for quotes regarding Heavy Horses it quickly turned into a Ein-themed adventure. If this isn't evidence that he should join this new non-metal game I don't know what would be.

Heavy Horses follows in this vein, but I think it's their most consistent, solid record; really an example of genius songwriting. I never tire of this album.
My favorite record of all time is probably Tull's Heavy Horses. It's between Minstrel and Heavy Horses for me too. I love the folk stuff the best.
Best Tull Album(s)?
Personally, I'd have to say:

-Heavy Horses (#1, without a doubt)
I was that way too when I was younger. Tull was always one of those bands that I knew I liked, but I never owned an album. Finally, my freshman year of college, my friend sent me a set of lyrics (the "poet and the painter" lyrics) and told me they were from Tull's Thick As a Brick. I remembered that song, and didn't remember those lyrics. Of course, back then I had no idea that the radio edit of Thick As a Brick cuts off nearly forty minutes of the entire song! So, I went out and bought the album and fell in love with the music. I started old, bought Aqualung, Warchild, This Was, Stand Up. I could definitely hear the differences between the albums (This Was and Stand Up are very blues oriented, while Aqualung and Thick As a Brick are very prog rock). Then I heard Songs From the Wood and nearly shat my pants. Their folk material is fucking incredible, and I personally feel that Heavy Horses tops Songs From the Wood, although they're both amazing albums.

I think that Heavy Horses and Minstrel in the Gallery are two of the best albums. They have a superb mix of folk, progressive elements, and just some badass fucking rock. In Minstrel in the Gallery (the song) when Barre's electric guitar comes in after Ian's acoustic introduction... gods, it just sounds like a beast.

For SouthernTrendkill and Ozzman, I'd definitely recommend buying an actual album. As typical as this is, Aqualung really is a great album, and very accessible for getting into the band. Just know that they expand greatly on their later releases, and if you're looking for more folk stuff, try albums like Songs From the Wood or Heavy Horses.
Heavy Horses (my favorite album; epic and folky as hell)
I can talk about Tull all the time.

razor, you're right about the progressive elements. I've always been more of a folk fanatic, so of course those aspects are what stand out to me more. However, it's true that both Songs From the Wood and Heavy Horses are masterpieces of combining folk and progressive rock; really crowning achievements, both of them.
I think that Heavy Horses is a rare combination of tight performances and some phenomenal songwriting, none of which is boring or filler (in my opinion).

tumblr_ml87q0tkrp1re3x32o1_.gif

Last edited:
#6 AC/DC - Powerage

powerage-5339df5f2a613.jpg

Those who voted:

@Sirjack (#1)
@H.P. Lovecraft (unranked)

Any of the Bon era albums rule. Powerage is an underrated classic.
Cool! I am loving AC/DC at the moment. I believe that "Powerage" is theit best album. It's very underrated, and that's a shame.
Albums I'd recommend as first priority listening would be Powerage, Let There Be Rock, Highway To Hell, Back In Black, For Those About To Rock We Salute You, and Flick of The Switch.

310375.jpg

#6 Ramones - Road to Ruin

road-to-ruin-59536c54d009a.jpg

Those who voted:

@Terasophe (#2)
@Talos of Atmora (#10)
@H.P. Lovecraft (unranked)

I think Road to Ruin is slowly becoming my favorite album by them nowadays.
Can't go wrong with any of their first four. Kinda inconsistent after that, unfortunately.

#5 Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance

the-modern-dance-5337e68f093bf.jpg

Those who voted:

@Dazed and Brutal (#4)
@Omni (#6)
@CASSETTEISGOD (#8)
@Talos of Atmora (#9)

I actually thought that Dub Housing was their first, I only found out abut Pere Ubu because someone mentioned them on here while talking about Wire and just got a few of their albums in the mail recently but ill definitely checkout the TERMINAL TOWER comp.

The Modern Dance
is their first. Which albums did you order man?
I got The Modern Dance, Dub Housing and The Tenement Year. They're quire an eclectic and creative bunch and not what I was expecting. They're very good though, I thought they were gonna be a bit more straightforward punk like Wire.
I've only briefly checked out Pere Ubu, but I know they are a very interesting band which this one song doesn't do justice. Check out the album The Modern Dance.

Reactions: Dazed and Brutal
I only know this thread exists because I got an alert that CIG mentioned me. Totally would have voted otherwise.

This sub-forum is dead and the number of votes in the poll is a joke. Just redo it in GMD Social, we already have other nonmetal threads there.

Yeah I'll post the next round in there instead. I always check the 'new posts' though, not sure how anybody misses anything with that function available.

Btw I got 10 lists with this round, it's just that there was very little overlap between them.

You mean that one tiny, nondescript link out of 20 or so in the header? Your eye for detail astounds me.

Eye for detail? I just looked at the top of the page like 2 years ago and figured it out.

Don't make me feel bad because you suck balls at the Internet. :lol:

Forgive me O Internet Master with the 700 post per month average, but I think you greatly overestimate how much attention most people give that part of the page.