9. James Horner - Glory
10. Neil Young + Crazy Horse - Ragged Glory

#10 Poison Idea - Feel the Darkness
(17 Points)

poison_idea.jpg
Genre(s):
Hardcore Punk

Punk Rock

Poison Idea rules. How is that Amebix record? I never checked it out cuz it never really got good reviews by anyone I trust compared to Arise!
my ass is also being kicked by that Poison Idea album right now.

it's not much like Arise! at all actually, the post punk influences are gone and it's a much more straight forward punk album.

it's okay, worth hearing once.
BTW I dig your Poison Idea pics i used to dig them and The Angry
Samoans back in the day!
hahaha:lol: that was actually quite funny... no im not a chav.... Chavs dont usually listen to Poison Idea.

Those who voted:
@CiG #5
@challenge_everything #5
@Krow #6

#9 Fugazi - Repeater
(17 Points)

fugazi.jpg
Genre(s):
Post-Hardcore

NP: Fugazi - Repeater

Thanks to the guys who recommended this, rocketh it does.
fugazi - heard "repeater" on fat wreck chords' internet radio station (lol) when i was like 13, thought it was the worst song i'd ever heard, so bad i had to dl it from audiogalaxy (remember audiogalaxy?) just to hear it again. then uhh it grew on me heh :I
FUgazi is the best band in the thread thusfar imo
you do know that the minor threat dude is the fugazi dude, right?
Fugazi has been pretty darn influencial on a lot of bands actually... not in metal, but rock/indy/etc.
I could beat off to fugazi, the best emo band. Mainstream emo should really be called powerpop or poppunk. Or just plain crying. real emo is for tuffguys.
i wouldnt bother, there are about 4 good fugazi songs across their discography.

that said, those 4 or so songs rule
Minor Threat was cool and early Fugazi was great....somewhere in Fug's career though they took a left turn straight off the face of the earth.

Those who voted:
@jimmy101 #10
@HamburgerBoy #1
@CiG #9
@challenge_everything #7

#7 Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium
(18 Points)

nephilim.jpg
Genre(s):
Gothic Rock

Darkwave, Psychedelic Rock

Fields of the Nephilim are gothic rock and they are an amazing band although their output has been pretty inconsistent. Elizium is their masterpiece basically. The Nephilim is also a good album but not nearly as good as Elizium. They were inactive/split up for a long time while Carl was off doing his terrible Zoon project (don't listen to that) and the remaining members formed Rubicon but neither of these projects were anything close to the quality of FotN. Recently Carl recorded a new album under the Fields of the Nephilim name called Mourning Sun which was actually surprisingly good really (I fully expected this to be terrible).
Gothic rock at its finest.... Fields of the Nephilim
My favourite gothic rock album is still Elizium by Fields of the Nephilim. I like pretty much all the classics, Sisters, The Cure, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, etc.
Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium

so good it has just about killed music for me

Those who voted:
@Krow #2
@crimsonfloyd #7
@dwellerINTHEdark #6

#7 Depeche Mode - Violator
(18 Points)

Violator.jpg
Genre(s):
Synthpop

Because pop music isn't only teenybopper crap. Some of the best albums ever were released from pop groups. U2 - War, U2 - The Joshua Tree, Depeche Mode - Black Celebration, Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses, Depeche Mode - Violator, etc. the list goes on and on. Pop music can suck, but it can be uplifting and beautiful as well.
Depeche Mode is one of my favorite bands. Violator, Black Celebration, and Songs of Faith and Devotion are my major favorites, but I think their new album could nudge its way into that list eventually.
depeche mode is good... thats one of the later albums which ive never heard. violator is their most popular album and for good reason. i also dig music for the masses, black celebration and some great reward.
1the new stuff since 1993 is bullshit! (sorry, my opinion)
Personal Jesus
Depeche Mode
Violator
Synthpop
4:54

Definitely one of the best albums ever.
I also like Covenant (not The Kovenant), which technically makes me gay, but not as gay as the fact that I like Depeche Mode circa Violator.
I've only heard one song, and I don't recall the name, but it was utter faggotry.

Those who voted:
@challenge_everything #6
@Serjeant Grumbles #7
@crimsonfloyd #2

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
#6 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Good Son
(18 Points)

nick_cave.jpg
Genre(s):
Singer/Songwriter

Dark Cabaret, Art Rock

).for the "catchiest", most accesible album, i'd pick either Henry's Dream or The Good Son, but that's not to say either of those albums aren't insanely quality, they're just lyrically and musically somewhat lighter than what came before,

Those who voted:
@challenge_everything #8
@Krow #7
@crimsonfloyd #9
@dwellerINTHEdark #2

#5 Primus - Frizzle Fry
(19 Points)

frizzle-fry.jpg
Genre(s):
Funk Metal, Alternative Metal

Experimental Rock, Math Rock

For me it has always been Frizzle Fry with Mr Know It All being my favorite Primus song of all time.
Frizzle Fry still remains one of the best records ever. By far Primus' best. That was a metal record, straight up.
Without a doubt 'Frizzle Fry' is the best. Not only that, but probably one of the best albums of the 90's
Anyone else like em? I bought Pork Soda only to hear Claypools basswork, and I thought it was only average at best.
If you think Les Claypool is an average bassist, then you nothing about playing bass. Don't even argue with me because I'm right.
I've never really understood Primus.
Yeah , they're pretty strange alright o_O I don't listen to them that much but I gotta say - Claypool really IS a brilliant bass player .

Those who voted:
@jimmy101 #2
@Burkhard #1

#4 The Sisters of Mercy - Vision Thing
(19 Points)

sisters_mercy.jpg
Genre(s):
Gothic Rock

Hard Rock

How is this disc?Worth 6 bucks?
anything by sisters of mercy is worth 6 bucks
First time listening to this album. It's great, shouldn't have put this off so long.
I like most of it, but bands like Type O Negative and the Babylon Whores should give some of their royalty money to Andrew Eldritch since most of 'em copied the Sisters Of Mercy's sound during the "Vision Thing" era.
These if you don't mind the more gothy side of things, plus The Sisters of Mercy...I'd say "First and Last and Always" if you want something darker, but "Vision Thing" 'rocks' harder. All of this is of course if you don't mind drum machines.

Trust me, you need the first two. Goddamn mandatory. I like "Doctor Jeep" too, but the best off of that album is easily "Ribbons." Let it be said, however, that some of the songs from that record are absolutely horrid, generic, early-90s butt rock.
Ofcourse there is always the best of album, A Slight Case of Overbombing.. I have that and Vision Thing.. Great albums..

Those who voted:
@Serjeant Grumbles #2
@crimsonfloyd #5
@dwellerINTHEdark #7

#3 Mazzy Star - She Hangs Brightly
(28 Points)

mazzy_star.jpg
Genre(s):
Dream Pop, Neo-Psychedelia, Alt-Country

Psychedelic Folk

Mazzy Star definitely make the world more tolerable. Among My Swan is great, as is everything else they've done, but She Hangs Brightly is desert island material for me.
Besides whats the point in comparing Mazzy Star to Deathspell Omega (other then that they both a spacy names)... it gets you nowhere...
Deathstar Omega
The other thing about shoegaze is that it's extremely reliant on a very specific mood. I haven't listened to a full shoegaze album in over a year because that mood comes along so rarely for me. I'm not a downer, nor am I gloomy and (pseudo)depressed.

It's mostly music for constantly upset people and kids going through the motions.

Edit: dream pop is vastly superior because it has the basic pop blueprint hiding beneath the fuzz and ethereal vocals and thus is catchy and fun in its own way. Mazzy Star for example.

Those who voted:
@Oblivious Maximus #1
@CiG #1
@crimsonfloyd #3

Reactions: CiG
#2 Bad Religion - Against the Grain
(32 Points)

bad_religion.jpg
Genre(s):
Melodic Hardcore, Skate Punk, Punk Rock

I like skate punk bands from the 80s/90s...

Pennywise
Bad Religion
Descendants
All
Lagwagon
Nofx

I don't think any of you guys would.
Bad Religion is awesome.
Where´s Bad Religion?
Thankfully not on the fucking list.
Well, they´ve made excellent records such as "Suffer", "No control" and
"Against the grain". OK, their end-90s records were poor but still, they´re
great!
I agree, everything up through 'Against the Grain' was brilliant. And of course, Black Flag turned to shit after 'Damaged', Discharge turned to shit after the "Never Again" 7", etc., so yeah, you've got a case to put Bad Religion on there.
Bad Religion is probably my favourite punk band full stop. If I had to pick one it would be Against the Grain.
Couldn't really get into that one, they completely abandoned any kind of raw energy they once had (and the guitar tone is so weak IMO) and went full melodic pop punk. Not unlistenable though, but not even nearly on the level of greatness that they achieved with their debut album, which has a fucking perfect balance of melody, catchiness and hardcore energy.

Suffer was pretty good, was listening to No Control the other day and that's also pretty fun, but I guess in the end their first EP and album were exactly what I wanted and everything after that seems to be a gradual watering down of a winning formula. Never did check out that second album they did which was supposedly progressive punk rock or something?

Those who voted:
@Oblivious Maximus #7
@Bloopy #1
@challenge_everything #1
@Krow #10
@Serjeant Grumbles #4

Reactions: Bloopy