GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1993

Cornell > Staley > Lanegan > Vedder > Cobain

I don't really dislike Nirvana because of Kurt's vocals; he has a fine voice. But I do enjoy Vedder's vocals more. It's too bad that fuckers like Scott Stapp and the piss-ant from Nickelback went on to gut the whole style.

Post some examples so I can compare, in my head Mark and Cobain vocally sound very different to me.

He's not ripping off Mark Arm, but he's definitely inspired by that style. Mark Arm and Mudhoney are- to me, what Nirvana would start to be and then find their style. And looking back onto Fecal Matter, its the same. Cobain takes that and meshes it with some Sonic Youth/Pixies flair.

He sounds kinda like him when he shouts the chorus, but the rest of the song I don't really hear it. His style is just a lot more melancholic and a lot less energetic and upbeat to my ears.

Mudhoney always were way more garage punk than the other classic grunge bands, like Melvins they don't really even fit in with that whole scene imo.

Reactions: Sophii
He sounds kinda like him when he shouts the chorus, but the rest of the song I don't really hear it. His style is just a lot more melancholic and a lot less energetic and upbeat to my ears.

Mudhoney always were way more garage punk than the other classic grunge bands, like Melvins they don't really even fit in with that whole scene imo.

Fair enough I guess.
Have you listened to Fecal Matter btw? Its Cobain before Nirvana

It is. Its very much Melvins worship.
Its just Cobain and Dale Crover going at it, hahaha. Some of the tunes are pretty proto-Sludge too in the vein of Melvins.

Reactions: CiG
13421.jpg

01. X Japan - Art of Life
Favorite song: "Art of Life"

pet_shop_boys_very_CD_grande.jpg

02. Pet Shop Boys - Very
Favorite song: "One In A Million"

manics_gold_against_the_soul-1.jpg

03. Manic Street Preachers - Gold Against the Soul
Favorite song: "La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh)

NS03MjQ4LmpwZWc.jpeg

04. Magnus Uggla - Alla Får Påsar
Favorite song: "Mitt Decennium"

81S2MQOZ7LL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

05. Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet
Favorite song: "Afternoons & Coffeespoons"

7123eC9p-5L._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

06. Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell: Back into Hell
Favorite song: "Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through"

41H62046AHL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

07. The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Favorite song: "Disarm"