GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1993

Shittiest top 10 yet, and by a long way too. Aerosmith and Cypress Hill are painful to listen to.

And as much as I love Waits, even Black Rider isn't a great album by his standards.

I disagree, Black Rider is quite underrated.

But I am quite surprised at a 90's Aerosmith album making the top ten.

Reactions: CiG
Sorry I didn't participate in this one, things are way too busy right now. I have virtually no free time.

But I am quite surprised at a 90's Aerosmith album making the top ten.

As far as Aerosmith albums go, it's probably the best.

Also, I just have to express my dislike for Nirvana. I'd rather listen to fucking Get a Grip than In Utero. I've never managed to understand the extreme popularity and musical significance surrounding Nirvana, much less why anyone would think their music is "catchy."

Pearl Jam's Vs. would have been higher than either of those, for me.

Nirvana's In Utero was deliberately written in a way so it wouldn't be catchy, though. Kurt was upset with the polished sound of their previous album, & so wanted to create something less mainstream-sounding.

Reactions: Sophii
I gotta strongly disagree with Get a Grip being Aerosmith's best album (if that's what you're saying). My favourite would be either Get Your Wings or Toys in the Attic. You gotta do the 1970 round though man.

It took me years to get over my grungephobia, but I'd definitely call myself a Nirvana fan now.

Reactions: jimmy101
I gotta strongly disagree with Get a Grip being Aerosmith's best album (if that's what you're saying). My favourite would be either Get Your Wings or Toys in the Attic.

Yeah it's probably not a popular opinion, but I still think it's stronger than their early stuff. Has a bolder sound and heavier attitude, I think.

Nirvana's In Utero was deliberately written in a way so it wouldn't be catchy, though. Kurt was upset with the polished sound of their previous album, & so wanted to create something less mainstream-sounding.

I wasn't specific in my previous post, but my point is that I don't even think Nevermind is catchy. I think it's plodding, boring, uninspiring shit. That's great that Kurt wanted to eschew whatever catchiness/shininess he saw in that record, but he didn't do his band any favors on In Utero.

I'll take all of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and AiC. The masses can keep their Nirvana.

Vedder's vocals are probably the biggest vocal barrier I've ever experienced, I just can't get beyond them or ignore them enough to enjoy the band. He's absolutely grating and cringeworthy.

Vedder's vocals are probably the biggest vocal barrier I've ever experienced, I just can't get beyond them or ignore them enough to enjoy the band. He's absolutely grating and cringeworthy.
Funny thing is I've heard people saying the exact same thing about Layne Staley's vocals & how they stop them from liking AiC.

Guess you either like them or you don't. But this is what you've been waiting for perhaps?...

Reactions: dwellerINTHEdark
^ The 7:12 mark of that vid is epic. Never knew the bassist was throwing down bass chords during that bit.

Funny thing is I've heard people saying the exact same thing about Layne Staley's vocals & how they stop them from liking AiC.

Guess you either like them or you don't. But this is what you've been waiting for perhaps?...

I like Layne Staley's vocals myself but I could see how he'd get the same complaint.

Reactions: jimmy101