GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1983

I prefer their first two, but Over the Edge is still cool.

i think it's comfortably their best album these days. the other two don't get really good until their second half, just a lot less consistent than OtE which is never short of really good and ends on an amazing five song run. youth of america does peak the highest though. they're probably all top ten punk albums for me tbh, they're my fav band out of portland even above dead moon (although dead moon have more great albums)

anyone who loves dead moon is cool with me. :kickass:

i feel like if the wipers came out today in the age of anal genre tagging they'd be labelled doom punk or something lol. i mean, they're like the warning of punk, laying on the raw emotion super thick, basically drowning you in the vocals and guitarwork. that kinda thing is catnip for me.

Reactions: CiG
that's awesome if so. i know vitus were basically adopted punks who used to tour with black flag, agnostic front, GBH, the circle jerks etc, so it's not implausible.

Yeah and that's why it also makes sense that they didn't choose a more classically trained vocalist, Reagers is basically a wailing punk singer.

Meatmen rule, though I have to say their best material was still to come.

For some reason I've never actually checked out this year's Circle Jerks. Maybe I was thrown off by the album title.

Brianenoapollo.jpg

This might be number one. More soon...

Just had a little browse through the releases from this year. Gonna struggle to find anything that's worthy of a top-10 ranking outside of the punk scene.

1. Einstürzende Neubauten - Zeichnungen des Patienten O.T.
2. One Way System - All Systems Go
3. SPK - Auto Da Fe
4. Swans - Filth
5. Nina Hagen - Fearless
6. One Way System - Writing on the Wall
7. The Celibate Rifles - Sideroxylon
8. Urban Dogs - Urban Dogs
9. ZZ Top - Eliminator
10. Butthole Surfers - Butthole Surfers

HM:
Chaotic Dischord - Fuck Religion, Fuck Politics, Fuck the Lot of You!
The Varukers - Bloodsuckers
Univers Zéro - Crawling Wind
Angelic Upstarts - Reason Why?
Attak - Zombies

Last edited:
1. Kim Wilde - Catch as Catch Can
2. Pat Benatar - Live from Earth
3. Depeche Mode - Construction Time Again
4. ZZ Top - Eliminator
5. Trans-X - Living on Video

1983-Hillcrest.png

1 - Frank Zappa - The Man From Utopia
2 - Crucifix - Dehumanization
3 - Weather Report - Procession
4 - SSD - Get It Away
5 - Heaven 17 - The Luxury Gap
6 - Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood
7 - The Tubes - Outside Inside
8 - Borbetomagus - Barbed Wire Maggots
9 - Allan Holdsworth - Road Games Ep
10 -

Reactions: Slammed
Australiana still stands up in today's comedy. There is a whole bunch of people who hear it for the first time and are suprised at how well put together it is.